Whos ready for iPad 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DayOfChaos, Oct 1, 2012.

1. DayOfChaos, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

I have been holding off on getting one with the rumors coming up. I need an iPad for school, but no point in buying one if it is about to be outdated.

Are you guys waiting? Or did you already take the plunge?

EDIT: This topic was made pre-iPad 4 launch.

2. kgs macrumors regular

They're on a yearly release cycle.

The iPhone is too. The difference is the iPhone did break the cycle once. But, it made the cycle longer, not shorter.

I'd guess that if we seen the release of a new iPad it would be next June, or later. Not earlier.

iPad "Mini" being an exception to this rule. Which is why I feel like if we indeed do see one, it may receive its updates at the same time as the iPhone and iPod Touch next year.

Of course, I could be wrong.

The current iPad is pretty awesome though. If you need it, buy it.

3. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

How bad do you need one and how long can you wait before deciding?

If the rumors are to be believed, it appears that Apple is going to announce the iPad mini this month. However, I haven't see any rumors regarding the larger iPad.

I'm thinking that Apple will want to refresh the current sized iPad sooner rather than later because it uses the old 30-pin connector rather than the new 9-pin connector.

Any chance of you getting by with a refurbished iPad 2? You could get a refurbed unit and then buy a new one when releases, then sell the refurbed iPad 2.

4. Gizmo22 macrumors regular

Gizmo22

I would say this is spot on. I do not know where you are located, but in Wisconsin I have seen iPad 2, WiFi only, 16GB sell for less than $200 on Craigslist. $225 to $250 is a regular occurrence. Even if you bought one for $250 used, I would think you could still sell for $200+ months down the road.

At best, you can resell for what you have invested in it. At worse, you paid $1 to $2 per day (one or two months) to "lease" one after reselling for $200.

5. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Well if the next iPad follows the release schedule of the last 3 there wont be another one announced for another 6/7 months so are roughly only half way through a release cycle. We haven't even had any significant rumours about it yet.

What makes you think that the current model will be "outdated" when the next one is released? IOS6 which runs on current iPads will also run on the next iPad, and the current iPad will run IOS7 late next year (Basically, you're most likely going to get software support until late 2014 at a minimum) The only way i could see it being "outdated" in some peoples eyes would be the fact it wont be the NEW model anymore, and this will always irritate those who want the newest shiney Apple product. If that was the case there is nothing stopping you selling it on and buying the new one, they do hold their value quite well.

6. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

If they can make it less than 1 pound, that'd be great. My only gripe is elbow fatigue when reading in bed.

7. DayOfChaos thread starter macrumors 6502

The max I can wait is about a month. If the end of Oct comes and nothing was annouced, I will just take the plunge.

I like your idea about the iPad 2. May look into that to hold me over.

----------

I have actually read a few rumors posted about the IGZO display and it generates less heat. I swear I saw that posted here one day.

8. stuaz macrumors 6502

I am wanting to upgrade my iPad 1 to a iPad mini. Hopefully in October. If not I will wait till march when the iPad 4 will come out and get the new connector.

9. applefan022 macrumors 6502

Sold my iPad 2 a few month ago, miss it but can't wait for the mini! Hopefully.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The 9.7 iPad yearly release cycle thus far has been an March/April release--not June. They could always change that of course, but so far no June releases.

11. zephyrnoid macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

I've been ready for 2 years... if it's the correct form-factor. If not, It's off to Nexus land on the new releases! All my jackets and outerwear are ready too!:)

12. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I don't care about the hardware, I'm pretty happy with the current iteration. What I'm ready for is a freakin new iOS, a real update.

13. frayne182 macrumors 6502

Not a fan of the iPad. Maybe the iPad mini a bit because I like 7'' tablets more.

I have a Nexus 7 right now and its amazing. One hand reading, very fast, etc.

I like iOS for phones, but Android for tablets for some reason. :cool:

14. frosse macrumors 6502a

Perhaps for their sluggishness, plastic feel, low count of native tablet apps and ugly design? :D

15. frayne182 macrumors 6502

I'm running Jellybean on my Nexus 7 and its very smooth, has a soft back to it not plastic, and has many apps. I have no issues.

I prefer a 7'' tablet to an iPad and don't have specific brand loyalty. I go with what I like the most in the end.

The Nexus 7 did it for me.

I'm not trying to troll or anything, just sharing my thoughts on the question and my experiences. [​IMG]

16. frosse macrumors 6502a

Yea sorry about that, I was being a douche. I'd say that the Nexus 7, albeit smaller, is the first so-so threat to the iPad.

Edit: Though we'll see how it fares up against the supposed iPad Mini.

17. frayne182 macrumors 6502

No worries brah. I didn't take it seriously. who knows how it will fare against the iPad Mini. Depends on how aggressively priced it is I think.

18. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

U can get a 3rd gen iPad from the refurb store for like 14% discount, well worth it!

19. irDigital0l Guest

20. plutocrat macrumors newbie

I agree with you. So far its been:

iPad 1 - March 2010
    iPad 2 - March 2011
    iPad 3 - March 2012
    iPad 4 - Probably March 2013

21. snowleopard48 macrumors regular

snowleopard48

Hopefully it's earlier than June next year, since buying one without Lightning is an issue for me, especially since the 30-pin will start to lose support for accessories soon enough.

22. RenoG macrumors 65816

Why would an ipad without lightning be a problem? I mean how many accessories do you use and will be changing out to where the 30 pin is an issue. The iphone ok but the ipad :confused:

23. AlexChen macrumors newbie

completely agree. I will sell my heavy ipad 1 and jump for a mini.

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

so far the rumors are just for a smaller iPad.
    If you're fine or want the current sized iPad, I'd go with it.

25. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I only use the connector for charging. Video or audio is wireless through the Apple TV. Audio sometimes plays through Bluetooth speakers. File transfer mostly through Dropbox. I also use a Bluetooth keyboard.