iPad Who's skipping the Air 3 and keeping their Air 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JerTheGeek, Feb 12, 2016.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

So who is going to skip the Air 3 and keep their Air 2? I recently upgraded to the Air 2 from the air 1 and I really enjoy it. So thin and super light, the screen is amazing, and I love reading textbooks, browsing the web, watching NHL, playing games, etc. on this thing, it is truly a wonderful device and I don't see the need to upgrade anytime soon. The upgraded speakers and cam don't interest me, and the Air 2 is so plenty fast I don't see the need for a processor upgrade either. Who else feels the same way and will be keeping their Air 2 for a while and skipping the air 3?

2. msavic macrumors 6502

I just ended up purchasing an Air 2 a few days ago and am debating whether to return it at the end of my 14 days and pick up an Air 3 later on. My issue is the Canadian exchange rate, the Air 3 will be 30% more expensive than the Air 2 so I'm really weighing the pros and cons.

3. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

It seems a bit premature to be making purchasing decisions about a product that hasn't even been announced yet.

4. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I don't know. If the Air 3 only gets a slight processor bump and the four speaker set up, I'll probably skip it. If it also gets additional RAM, I may go ahead and upgrade.

5. sparksd macrumors 6502a

I am. I haven't seen anything in the rumors about the Air 3 that would make me feel it necessary to upgrade and I couldn't justify the cost of a new device based solely on just wanting - not needing - the latest.

6. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Agree 100%

7. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

8. Dranix macrumors 6502a

Dranix

Who will skip it? Anyone who has a brain. It is economically insane to switch devices yearly without any real need.

9. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

It's only insane if you can't afford it.

10. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

It all depends on what the Air 3 can do, there's nothing an iPad 2 does different to an Air 2 (in theory anyway, the experiences are quite different in practice). Bring in the new connector and pencil support, then the Air 3 gives people the option of different types of interface with the product.

I have an iPad Pro with the Pencil, I'd get the Air 3 if it also had pencil support, so for me an Air 3 'could' offer more functionality over an Air 2 if I can use my favourite accessory with it.

11. Ries macrumors 68000

Just because you can afford it, doesn't mean the money isn't spent better elsewhere. If you buy it, there is something other you can't buy.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I don't see the need to decide now. I bought my Air 2 back last Fall during those waves of killer deals. I would need to see what the Air 3 actually is (not what it might be) before coming to a decision. There are a few key things that if the Air 3 were to include them, I'd pass on my Air 2 and get the Air 3.

13. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

This^^

It all comes down to what the new features are, and if someone would benefit from them. In my case, if the new iPad has pencil support than I will preorder it ASAP. if not, I will skip it. Other will feel the same way about some sort of improvement and upgrade. Others won't care about the improvements and skip it.

14. hojx macrumors 6502

hojx

Processor + speaker + flash upgrades = Will not be upgrading for at least two gens

Above + smart connector = hesistant to upgrade, maybe skipping for just one gen

Above + Pencil support = will buy

15. Dranix macrumors 6502a

Dranix

I still don't get why people realistically expect Apple to be so stupid to put Pencil support on the Air.

16. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

The pencil would be nice and I could see how that could be a huge deal for people and a worthy reason to upgrade. I'm not an artist so that wouldn't be a reason for me to upgrade, nor would the smart connector.

17. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I've already put my barely used Air 2 on eBay. I'm not sure what the Air 3 could bring that would cause me to re-purchasae.

I have a rMBP and that is the device I prefer to use. I have to force myself to use the iPad, hence the sale of it.

18. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

If there's something else you want that you can't buy because you bought an iPad, maybe you can't really afford it. I don't sacrifice anything else in my life just because I buy an iPad.

19. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Because it is your opinion that it is a "stupid" move. There is no compelling reason why Apple would withhold support for the Pencil from other iPads. Of course there is an argument that claims that the Pencil needs to be exclusive to the iPad Pro in order to provide incentive to buy the iPP. The implication is that absent the Pencil there is no reason to buy the Pro. That too is opinion and quite a simplistic one at that. Simply being a larger iPad in and of itself is reason for some/many to buy one.

Apple may limit support for the Pencil for now... but we won't know (unless Apple states it) what the reason for that decision is. It could easily be for exclusivity for the Pro. It could just as easily be Apple's inability to manufacture the Pencil in large enough quantities to meet the demand that would result if support was expanded to the Air.

20. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

skipping... i think there will be nothing to get me to replace air2.

21. dantracht macrumors regular

dantracht

Not falling for another iPad 3-iPad 4 fiasco. I will definitely be hanging on to my still brand new iPad Air 2 I got for myself this Christmas. It is way more than I need. More speakers and Pencil support do not interest me, and I barely use 3D Touch on my 6S Plus. Besides, my venerable MBPro gets the most use anyway.

22. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Rather pointless to ask this question when Apple hasn't even announced what the Air3 is going to have.

23. Skika macrumors 68030

There will be no new connector, there will be no new resolution, there will be no ipad air 4 in 2016 so there will be no fiasco.

24. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

after using a Pro i couldn't possibly use anything smaller, even if it was specced higher. for me of course ;)

as for expenses, well heck, it's all down to personal choice. you'd be no more or less stupid than the next man. it's just one man's personal opinion :)

25. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

The only thing that would make the iPad 3 worth it over the 2 is the inclusion of the direct connect keyboard and an Apple Keyboard built for the smaller iPad Air 3.