Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Yep.... I have a 128GB Air 2 with T-Mobile cellular and I have no plans on upgrading it any time soon. I've upgraded iPads pretty regularly, ever since the original model was new. But at this point, I feel like the product has reached "maturity". It has enough RAM memory, battery life and enough processor speed, plus is as thin as it needs to be. Basically, I use it like many people -- for media consumption. (Everything from reading email to web browsing to reading online newspaper subscriptions during my commute on the train.) There's not much I would get out of another upgrade right now. (Better speakers? Who cares? I only listen to music from it via bluetooth -- so the money would be better spent on a higher-end bluetooth headset.)

I think that this question gets to the heart of why iPad sales are generally not setting the world on fire. An old iPad is still a great product! I get every new model of iPhone but I skip a generation or two of iPads. I still have an original iPad mini that is great for what I use it for. I will plan on staying with iPad Air 2.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I would love to get an iPad Pro but as it is geared more towards producing content then consuming it and because I own a 13" MacBook Pro I can't really justify it especially as I already own an iPad Air 2. However that doesn't meant I wouldn't upgrade to an iPad Air 3 or what ever succeeds the iPad Air 2 even if the improvements or differences are minimal.

I might still be tempted to get an iPad Pro once the reforms appear on the Apple online store but I'm more likely to upgrade to an iPad Air 3. As for the pencil it's not of much use to me as I'm neither into drawing or taking notes. If there were four speakers, extra RAM or any other improvements in the next iPad then those would certainly appeal to me.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Went iPad 2 to Air 2 back when the Air 2 first came out. Best purchase ever, cause just like the original iPad 2 I'm sure the Air 2 will have quite a bit of longevity to it. Give me 2-3 years and I'll probably be looking to upgrade by then.

Reactions: Tsepz

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
If it has pencil support I will be getting it, if not then most likely a Pro. I think the smaller screen size would be convenient for me, but I need pencil support really.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Having bought the Air2 last year, the iPad Pro this year, and having an iPad 4 that still works, even at my most indulgent I can't contemplate buying another one! Also, I really like what I have and they cover everything I need.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
If it has pencil support I will be getting it, if not then most likely a Pro. I think the smaller screen size would be convenient for me, but I need pencil support really.

What does the pencil exactly let you do that is so good please?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Even better -who's skipping the Air 3 and keeping their iPad 2 (not Air) :p ? I am, its too expensive to upgrade at this point.

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
I upgraded from my Air to the Pro + Pencil when it came out, but still curious to see what they'll do with the Air 3. I know people are saying that they think Apple will keep the Pencil strictly to the Pro, but I think they definitely need to bring it down the lines. Yes, it's great for drawing but it's also great for going completely digital with notes (now I just take handwritten notes on my Evernote app) and useful for PDFs.

dumastudetto

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Nobody should say no to iPad Air 3 until they've had a chance to look at what innovations Apple has packed into the new device. I'm firmly undecided at the moment. That's the logical position to take until we know what the Air 3 can do for us. If it's an amazing device with incredible new technologies built into it, I'll upgrade and I'll recommend everyone else upgrades too.

Reactions: Mr.C

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
I will probably get the Air 3, since i cracked the screens of my Air a few weeks ago

But it will depend on the price (damn Canadian funny money) and if it's actually worth getting the 3 over the Air 2 or even a Mini 4

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
What does the pencil exactly let you do that is so good please?
For me: university work entirely without paper. Currently I have to print things, work through it by hand, and then scan it back in before uploading it. A pencil would allow me to do everything on my iPad without wasting paper and time.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Upgrading from my Air 2 is contingent on the Air 3 having 4gb ram. I'll pass if it doesn't, see little reason to upgrade otherwise, I'd only envy the better speakers.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Not a chance, I have already sold my 128gb Air 2 in anticipation of the Air 3
I sold mine as well. One reason was that I felt that I rarely used it, but another is I grew tired of the white bezel (too distracting).

Now that it's gone and I need to watch a show when the kids are on the main TV, I sure miss it. The 6s Plus is not cutting it. True, I could go to another room, but the other TV is smaller and not HD and I refuse to leave my kids just to watch a TV show.

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
I rarely used my iPad air 2 but since having the pro I use it all the time to watch content with the children, the children use there one in the back of the car and its a life saver. I actually consume more content on it then in the past. My 6s plus is used as a phone and the 6s as my spare phone/running.

bking10

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
i would think most people. there isnt usually enough change from year to year on ipads. you can usually stretch out the upgrade cycle to 2 years without missing a beat.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
i would think most people. there isnt usually enough change from year to year on ipads. you can usually stretch out the upgrade cycle to 2 years without missing a beat.
I agree. Same with the iPhone. I got an iPhone 5s after the 6 came out and I didn't feel like I was missing out on much cause I liked the size. Last year right before the 6s came out i unexpectedly got the opportunity to get an iPhone 6, and I absolutely love it. I do plan to get the iPhone 7 when it is first released cause I am eager for the new design and I'm a huge Apple geek lol. But I don't feel like I've missed out on anything with the 6s. I'm sure I'll feel the same with the iPad Air 3.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I love my Air 2. But I was stupid and only got 16 GB so I am toying with the idea of upgrading to the 3 and passing my current iPad to my girlfriend. That said, the Air 3 will need to be more than a spec bump to get me to pull the trigger (and really it should be since the line hasn't been refreshed in a year and a half). Based on the rumors, here's where I am currently:
  • Pencil support and more RAM: 100% getting one. I really like the pencil on the Pro but that device is just too heavy to hold for long periods of time. I really want to ditch my paper notebook at work.
  • Pencil support and same RAM: I'd have to think about it but I'd probably still buy. I dunno. 2 GB is enough for iOS 9 multitasking but just barely. Where's it going to be in a year or two?
  • Better screen and more RAM, but no pencil support: The rumor of a better screen on this model is super dodgy and I don't really think it's going to happen. But, if it did, I would be intrigued at least. The current screen is great, but could always stand to be sharper. I'd only buy if the resolution increase was accompanied by more RAM. No way am I buying another iPad 3/iPhone 6+ type device.
Short of any of these improvements, I think I'm good with what I have. The new speaker system sounds nice but it's not enough to make me upgrade. Also, if the Air 3 picks up a significant (more than 0.1 lbs) amount of weight to fit any new tech, I'll probably pass. I love being able to hold my iPad for long periods of time with one hand and don't want to give that up. The iPad 3 always felt like a tiny downgrade from the iPad 2 just because of the weight it picked up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.