iPad Whose in....no 2 GB RAM, no iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jamesrick80, Oct 14, 2014.

1. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

i am a iPad Air owner currently. If Apple doesn't upgrade the ram, no way will I purchase the iPad Air 2. Who agrees?

2. Peter K., Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Agreed

I would like to relegate my iPad "4" to kid use, but without significant upgrades (2GB RAM, PPI Increase, etc.?), I won't be able to justify purchasing the Air 2.

3. sinar macrumors regular

4. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

No 2GB of RAM, I might even just get an Air 1 for less money. The RAM is the bottleneck an an Air 2 with 1GB of RAM will probably last just as long as the Air 1 with 1GB.

5. Supertaff macrumors member

I'm curious as to comments like this, why does the 1GB current version cause you issues?

Do apps not run on it because it has 1GB? 2GB I know would be helpful and may improve some apps that could do with more storage, but from what I've found giving more RAM like giving more hz just helps lazy developers who don't optimise their code.

I started off my development career with a ZX81 with 1.5k and it was a joy then to have a 16k ram pack.

From my experience, having had an iPad1, iPad 3 and also an iPad Air each version has been a jump forwards in performance and the growth of the A chips has been excellent. I feel more difference will be made with the introduction of the A8x chip and also the new co-processors to take processing away from the main chip.

The analogy I use is if you went out and bought a ferrari does it really matter if it has a V12 6.5l, V10 5l or V8 4.5l as long as the driving experience and the 0-60 time is still excellent?

Happy to get others input here.

Taff

6. pocketpenguin macrumors regular

Agreed

I own an ipad 2, 3, and air. Page reloads are such a problem for me that I won't buy another ipad unless it has more RAM.

What is more, if others find that 2gig doesn't fix the reload problem, then I'll never buy another ipad again, period.

7. Supertaff macrumors member

Hi Penguin,

When you discuss Page Reloads there, are you discussing in the sense of Safari and reloading pages/tabs or in developer terms regarding paging of memory in/out of use from solid state storage?

If the first, then if Apple can't sort out reloading of pages in web within 1GB then that is a software problem maybe in the caching area of Mobile safari rather than lack of memory and 2GB is unlikely to help solve this problem. Apple probably need to go back to how their written their javascript parsing engines.

Taff

8. WashupDawg macrumors regular

I'm in same boat. 1GB RAM for the next Air means no buy for me.

It reloads all the time with only 2-3 tabs open in Safari. My old iPad 3 was slow but it ran Safari browsing with no problems. It's pathetic that the iPad Air is lackluster during regular web browsing. A thing that any device should perform without breaking a sweat.

The 64-bit architecture in combination with 1GB RAM on the Air was just not sufficient. Too bad Apple didn't give a damn.

9. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Well over the numerous threads on this forum people have seem to have narrowed down the safari page reloading to the ram amount.
    When you close all your apps and do a restart the iPad will boot and only the system will be using RAM, the rest is free. You can then have much more tabs open in safari and switch between them without them having to reload.
    More RAM should mean even more pages open and/or the ability to have several apps open without them having to reopen when switching back and forth between several.
    Thats the common thought atleast. You definitly seem to know what your talking about so you could certainly be right.

10. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I can't currently give you an in-depth answer right now as I'm busy but apps also reload with just a few open. The iPad Air had the same amount of RAM as the iPad 3 and 4, but due it 64bit apps having around 1 30% increased footprint in RAM usage, it was a downgrade in that remark. And people want to buy an iPad that lasts several OS upgrades, not just a few like the iPad 1 with lack of RAM.

11. cperchard macrumors 6502a

Wow....do you have to wait 3 seconds for it to refresh? Boo hoo.....what an age we live in. :rolleyes:

I'm sticking with my air unless it halves in weight....that's the only thing that may convince me to upgrade.....frankly they can put in 8GB Ram in for all i care, if it weighs the same I'm sticking!

12. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Why not just buy and iPad 1 and wait a few seconds for apps to refresh? Why not just put up with the crashing? It really kills any sort of multitasking a user is doing when they have to wait for an app to refresh due to it being forced out of memory due to 1GB of RAM. I have even experienced crashing on an iPad Air due to this (Xcode can also display that it is in fact RAM that is the problem). Even if these moments are so rare, you are not being to get many OS updates until it's discontinued (i.e no more security updates) and the reloading and crashing is only going to get worse.

You enjoy your iPad Air with 1GB of RAM though, if you are happy with it that is what matters. We are different though, we demand and expect better so there is no need to go all 'boo hoo'ing' on us just because our views are different.

13. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

RAM should NEVER be a consideration when buying a new iOS device. I'm happy with whatever Apple determines to be the perfect amount to ensure long battery life and ultimate performance. So I'll be buying iPad Air 2 whether it has 1GB or 2GB.

14. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

After playing with the Surface I don't see another iPad upgrade in my future.

15. Motawa macrumors 6502

I am just waiting for the guy who tells me that i don't need 1gb of ram

----------

its not about apps not running.. its about multitasking and having more than 2 or 3 apps open without launching them again and again.. What is so hard to except?

16. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

I installed Background Manager from Cydia and now I can keep all my apps in the background without refreshing and I still have 150mb free of RAM. It is just the aggressive way that Apple sleeps Apps that is causing this.

Even with available RAM Safari still reloads tabs

17. WashupDawg macrumors regular

This is why Apple never talks about it. In theory we should be able to trust Apple to include whatever is necessary for smooth performance. RAM doesn't affect battery life. It affects the costs for producing the device. RAM is not a feature that creates more value unless all the competitors were known for including too little RAM in their tablets.

In practice, the Air showed us that we couldn't trust Apple to include sufficient RAM for the device. Air runs worse than the iPad 4 with multiple tabs open. Heck, it runs worse than the infamous iPad 3, too.

18. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Spot on, the iPad Air last year should have came with 2GB of RAM. I ended up just not buying an iPad because of that shortcoming. If Apple put 2GB in, I'll buy.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I will buy no matter what. The 1GB RAM is no biggie for me.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not buying regardless of the ram situation - I'm content with my rMini as it stands.

21. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

Since I'm currently without an iPad I will be buying one no matter what. I've only been without one for a day and I can't stand it.

22. bnmcj1 macrumors 6502

If it is 1 GB ram then iPad Air 1 will be a no brainer if you need an iPad. Save the money then. If iPad Air 2 is 2 GB that will be the best buy. I will never touch anything less than 2 GB Ram though.

23. mdridwan47 macrumors 6502

mdridwan47

24. AFDoc macrumors 68030

And apple will be a lesser company for it too.

----------

LoL he's not boo hooing all you cry baby's that whine about having to wait 2 seconds for a page to reload are.

Not interested in the 10" iPad anymore.... iPm or 12" iPad or bust.

25. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I agree too

with no 2GB RAM there is no reason to upgrade my iPad 3.

Its a Retina display, it will play games, browse the internet, play YouTube videos, and can do e-books reading very well. Why would I upgrade?

I have been holding back the upgrade since the iPad 4 and iPad Air both of which didn't see RAM increase. Also I do not believe the CPU upgrades gives any real life performance difference that would push you to go out and buy a new $500 iPad