Why an Air 3? Why not an iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Codeseven, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

I see allot of folks looking forward to an Air 3.

Just curious, why not skip an Air 3 and move on up to the iPad Pro when it comes out? Wouldn't that be a more logical progression?

I'd like to see a side by side 'anticipated' spec comparison.

2. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

By your logic, we should all buy 15" MacBook Pro if we want an Apple laptop?

3. lars666 macrumors 6502a

I made the mistake that I went too big with the iPhone 6+ vs the iPhone 6. If it really sees the light of day, I won't make the same mistake with the iPad Pro vs. the "normal" sized iPad. (Judged only by my personal usage, of course.)

4. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi lars. That's the way I felt about the 6+, just a bit too much everything for being just a cell phone. I bought a 6 to replace my 5 and ended returning it for a 5S. The 5's form factor is as big as I want in a cell phone.

So is the Pro being viewed as a trumped up iPad 3?

5. lars666 macrumors 6502a

If the iPad Pro really comes out, rumors are that it will have a 12" display - which would on the one hand be great for reading magazines, but on the other hand probably more uncomfortable to simply pick it up and use on lying the couch etc. As most iPad magazines don't have the 1:1 layout from the paper version, but are optimized for the tablet, I think the normal sized iPad will stay the better choice for me. I can't help thinking that - despite that this was said about the original 3,5" iPhone, too - the original 9,7 inch choice made by Apple had it reasons for being the perfect size for a tablet. Nevertheless, there are probably people who would prefer an even bigger iPad, e.g. musicians for their note sheets or people who want to multitask a lot. For me, the 9.7" will probably stay the perfect iPad.

6. lars666 macrumors 6502a

If the iPad Pro really comes out, rumors are that it will have a 12"-13" display - which would on the one hand be great for reading magazines (display-size wise), but on the other hand probably more uncomfortable to simply pick it up with one hand, lying on the couch, and casually use it holding it up on your belly etc.) As most iPad magazines don't have the 1:1 layout from the paper version, but are optimized for the tablet, I think the normal sized iPad will stay the much better choice for me. I can't help thinking that - despite that this was said about the original 3,5" iPhone, too - the original 9,7 inch choice made by Apple had it reasons for being the perfect size for a tablet. Nevertheless, there are probably people who would prefer an even bigger iPad, e.g. musicians for their note sheets or people who want to multitask a lot. For me, the 9.7" will probably stay the perfect iPad.

7. Conan86 macrumors 6502

Because I use the iPad mainly for entertainment purposes and enjoy surfing while commuting. The current full sized iPad is perfect for my purposes and doesn't get in the way of fellow commuters (less peak hours). Having a 12" on the go is just crazy and troublesome to handle.

I'll only get the iPad Pro if it helps with business presentation or if I'm into drawing, which I reckon would be awesome with a large canvas and force touch.

8. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I previously bought a Samsung Note Pro 12.2" tablet, with a S-pen stylus. I was hoping it would be the best ever device for reading and annotating PDFs. Well, it was, at least for reading PDFs when I am sitting in front of a desk. But for everything else, the larger size just wasn't necessary. Handling that bigger tablet on my lap also felt odd. My point is, I returned the Note Pro after 3 days, and I can't see myself wanting the iPad pro.

9. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

At this point, the iPad Pro is nothing more than a gadget unicorn... a mythical device that only lives on in the imaginations of believers. Without knowing if the Pro is real and what it will have, it is impossible to consider that over the inevitable Air 3. And even at that, the Air 3 may be a very minor bump from the Air 2. (as the Mini 3 was over the Mini 2)

10. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Because for most people the size of the iPad Air is perfect for them, including me. The 13-inch size is ideal for professional usage, but not for casual usage. People who are fine with sacrificing that ease of use for more functionality can go ahead and get the Pro. But most people wouldn't. That's why people are looking forward to the Air 3.

11. ipadpro macrumors 6502a

ipadpro

if apple release ipad proc 12.9 inch which is almost same as chromebook- but important things are ( weight )

if it too heavy how people putting on up legs play with it -

if it light weight like air 2 then i grab pro forgot the air -
    big screen more fun -

12. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi sracer.

So, the iPod Pro "is nothing more than a gadget unicorn....a mythical device that only lives on in the imagination of believers".

Just curious, what are the specs on the "inevitable Air 3"?

13. cynics macrumors G3

I'd be more curious about the OS. There is a laundry list of issues just dealing with that question.

14. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

You mean which OS? Or how the OS is optimised? Or something else?

15. cynics macrumors G3

I mean, will it just use iOS?

16. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Yeah. OS X will kill the device. Not only is it not optimised for the touchscreen interface and has to have all sorts of programs to be optimised for it as well, but it is a complete hog. Imagine that they filled this iPad Pro to the brim with general good stuff.
    For example, 13000mAh battery, up to 256GB of storage, and 4GB memory. These sorts of specs will make the iOS running iPad a powerhouse. But slap OS X onto this thing, and your battery life will be cut short by a significant amount, you would not be able to do any pro work without running out of memory, and you would be careful about running out of storage. Bear in mind that this is somebody who has used OS X for no longer than a week, but this is just the general idea I get. Maybe some of this is in part due to the architectural differences, but I'm no expert on that. :apple: should really just work on getting iOS up to the standard of OS X without sacrificing efficiency.
    Sorry for the long winded explanation.

17. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

if or when an ipad pro is ever officially announced, there will be plenty of time to discuss pros/cons. for some part of the market segment, an ipad is all they will want or need. another segment will consider an ipad pro.

but until apple announces it, it's kinda pointless to debate anything.

18. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

No one knows.

19. cynics macrumors G3

No need for an explanation at all. That was what I was hinting at I just didnt want to go into it.

So since we are agreement that it would have iOS.....Whats the point? Bigger screen? Maybe a waccom digitizer?

20. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Well, you probably saw my post about waiting for the air 3! Lol. First, we don't know if there is going to be an iPad pro. We know for a fact that there will be an iPad Air 3. I don't like to look forward to something that I don't even know will exist. Other than that, I wouldn't want a screen bigger than 9.7 inches. I feel that any bigger would be for business type uses or something like that. I just want the Air 3 to stay at home and use while sitting on the couch! Lol!

21. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Yeah sorry about that. I just can't help but go into long winded explanations.
    Back on topic, I just think they will make it a 'pro' device by improving the internals, optimising the software for the bigger screen, and making it compatible with more accessories (like a stylus, maybe even trackpads and mice).

22. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

I use my current Air 2 for casual entertainment, something I carry around a lot, play games on, surf the internet on the sofa, in bed...you name it...

I just couldn't imagine having that same portability and convenience with an iPad Pro. So that's why its not on my radar, and tbh an Air 3 isn't on my radar either.

23. newellj macrumors 601

Because the iPad Pro rumors say it will have a 12.9" display - bigger than the 12" rMB - and I don't want an iPad that's almost as big as my 13.3" rMBP, even if it doesn't weigh quite as much, and especially since it won't have a built-in keyboard.

24. newellj macrumors 601

Not to mention that a 12.9" (according to the rumors) iPad becomes a two-hand only proposition.

25. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Because the iPad Air size is big enough for my needs? I already have a Macbook so I don't need an oversized iPad :p

I'm waiting for the iPad Air 4, as my iPad 2 has at least another year in it.