Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Because I don't want an iPad that's as big as my laptop, even if it doesn't weigh quite as much, and especially since it won't have a built-in keyboard...
Yeah sorry about that. I just can't help but go into long winded explanations.
Back on topic, I just think they will make it a 'pro' device by improving the internals, optimising the software for the bigger screen, and making it compatible with more accessories (like a stylus, maybe even trackpads and mice).

If it's supposed to be "pro" and doesn't include full stylus support, it will have a hard time selling as anything other than a huge video player. :(

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Not to mention that a 12.9" (according to the rumors) iPad becomes a two-hand only proposition.

That's an excellent point. I actually use my Air 2 one-handed quite a lot. Obviously I can't reach the whole screen with one hand, but when I'm scrolling through something, or reading something, it's very useful. Can't imagine doing that on a 13-inch iPad.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
If it's supposed to be "pro" and doesn't include full stylus support, it will have a hard time selling as anything other than a huge video player. :(
Don't be so picky. They could put an A9X processor with advanced GPU power and maybe a quad-core CPU, 4GB RAM, up to 256GB storage, dedicated VRAM, that sort of thing. And not to mention software optimisations.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Don't be so picky. They could put an A9X processor with advanced GPU power and maybe a quad-core CPU, 4GB RAM, up to 256GB storage, dedicated VRAM, that sort of thing. And not to mention software optimisations.

I don't think that's even remotely picky. You could do most of that in a 9.7" iPad. Apple needs to think about hardware and software capabilities. My wife is a university prof and no one in their department uses Macs because OS X doesn't support touch and stylus, which is important to how they use their computers during class presentations. Imagine what an iPad that was spec'd like the one you outlined above could do for users like that. Without something more than just a spec bump, it's just the "iPad Gamer 1" or something like that.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I don't think that's even remotely picky. You could do most of that in a 9.7" iPad. Apple needs to think about hardware and software capabilities. My wife is a university prof and no one in their department uses Macs because OS X doesn't support touch and stylus, which is important to how they use their computers during class presentations. Imagine what an iPad that was spec'd like the one you outlined above could do for users like that. Without something more than just a spec bump, it's just the "iPad Gamer 1" or something like that.

You could use a stylus on a 10-inch iPad. And yes, they could do the stuff I mentioned on a 10-inch iPad, but they wouldn't. Because margins. I'm not saying that I'm anti-stylus, I'm just saying that there is other ways to differentiate the two iPads.

ipadpro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2015
ipad pro 12.9 same as chrombook-
very perfect for me to put used when lay down on my legs position-

ipad pro might have 4k resolution which is twice hd than air -

i believe people will skip air and run for pro when it launch -@

Reactions: Codeseven

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
I have a 9.7" iPad and some days ago a relative bought a 7.9" iPad. Despite its better internals (in the Air 2), I prefer the 7.9" iPad size, for my purposes. Why should I buy a 12" iPad?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I see allot of folks looking forward to an Air 3.

Just curious, why not skip an Air 3 and move on up to the iPad Pro when it comes out? Wouldn't that be a more logical progression?

I'd like to see a side by side 'anticipated' spec comparison.

The rumored iPad Pro will be too big for my liking. If I'm going to haul something that big around everywhere I go, I'll just take my 13" MBA.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
All fair enough replies, thanks.

I guess for myself, I only bought a basic 16Gb Air 1 to explore using iOS on a device other than my iPhone. Turns out, I really like it. I don't like my heavy and cumbersome 2008 MBP, it's become something that I have to lug around to do my everyday stuff when in contrast the iPad has turned out to be able to do most of those same tasks at a fraction of the weight and with so much more portability.

I don't need a desktop, turns out I don't need the power (or cost) of a MBP either. Just from what I've read about what the Pro 'may' be I like it's closer to a laptops power and features than just another revision of the iPad without actually actually becoming a laptop, I like that.

I guess we'll all see if an iPad 3 or Pro shows up come the Fall.

iPadDad

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
The iPad Pro will be for users who want to do more on thier iPads. Users who want more productivity. But when you just want to sit back and chill out on the couch, who's going to say "eh... I don't want this large Ultra HD screen with super fast performance, I want my smaller, lower resolution iPad"

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Apple needs to keep the iPad Mini's 7.9" and the iPad's 9.7" display sizes. Simply keep upgrading the hardware, display and design. A larger iPad with a diagonal size of 12.9" would attract pro users, designers who can utilize their Powerful MacBook pros's/iMac while also utilizing the screen size and hardware of the **"iPad Pro"**. The iPad Pro would most likely have close to similar hardware of a Mac.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
So am I the only one who wants an OSX Surface Pro killer?
I do not want a 12inch iPod with relatively HUGE bezel.

This is not an iPad pro, it is an iPad PLUS.

OS X is meant for the Mac... While iOS is meant for iDevices. Apple will provide iOS specific features for this rumored iPad Pro, but there won't be OSX on an iPad Pro.

I'm sure Apple will provide enough features to differentiate it from a traditional iPad, but as of now... I'm ok with my Air 2. I do tend to think they won't be updating the Air 2. They will implement a new iPad line w/ the iPad Pro & update the Mini 3.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
OS X is meant for the Mac... While iOS is meant for iDevices. Apple will provide iOS specific features for this rumored iPad Pro, but there won't be OSX on an iPad Pro.

I'm sure Apple will provide enough features to differentiate it from a traditional iPad, but as of now... I'm ok with my Air 2. I do tend to think they won't be updating the Air 2. They will implement a new iPad line w/ the iPad Pro & update the Mini 3.

Like the iMac? :) There are lots of ways they could be creative and make it work. As the "iDevices" get more powerful, "iOS" can become a GUI for OS X. It's pretty sad that in its current state OS X can't run smoothly on top end hardware. Apple needs to clean out the crud. It should be an embarrassment that, in contrast, Windows will run on practically anything. Anyway, the iPad "Pro" (ugh) could load a desktop when docked or when keyboard attached but the "iOS" GUI when in tablet mode. There really is no reason people can't have both. And if OS X were to be optimized accordingly, it would absolutely fly on full size laptop and desktop hardware.

I realize the implications of different processor architecture, but that's where the Apple creativity and ingenuity comes in. I think they can do a better Surface giving Apple users what they are used to getting plus some new Jobs-free flexibility. There is something to be said for simplicity but it can be the user's choice. Do folks realize that Windows can be dead simple? It runs things like ATMs that perform a very simple singular function and no one sees the Windows running things behind the scenes. OS X can be made more modular and users can be given the choice of what they want and don't want in their desktop and touch interfaces.

AmanO

macrumors regular

I know. Maybe calling it an iPad in the first place is not the best, but this is what Apple needs to fill its porfolio, not an iPad Plus.

Are people clamoring for this and were they for the new MB? Apple seems to be confused. We do not need both products. We need a tab that runs OSX. MAYBE a 12in tab that can run both.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Like the iMac? :) There are lots of ways they could be creative and make it work. As the "iDevices" get more powerful, "iOS" can become a GUI for OS X. It's pretty sad that in its current state OS X can't run smoothly on top end hardware. Apple needs to clean out the crud. It should be an embarrassment that, in contrast, Windows will run on practically anything. Anyway, the iPad "Pro" (ugh) could load a desktop when docked or when keyboard attached but the "iOS" GUI when in tablet mode. There really is no reason people can't have both. And if OS X were to be optimized accordingly, it would absolutely fly on full size laptop and desktop hardware.

I realize the implications of different processor architecture, but that's where the Apple creativity and ingenuity comes in. I think they can do a better Surface giving Apple users what they are used to getting plus some new Jobs-free flexibility. There is something to be said for simplicity but it can be the user's choice. Do folks realize that Windows can be dead simple? It runs things like ATMs that perform a very simple singular function and no one sees the Windows running things behind the scenes. OS X can be made more modular and users can be given the choice of what they want and don't want in their desktop and touch interfaces.

Please. I still don't understand why people think this is a good idea. I can't think of anything more muddling than running two separate OSs on one device. Here's a better idea. Optimising iOS for trackpad or mouse support. It's not as hard as it sounds. Running OS X on a device with touch basically just takes away touch. And how easy is it to optimise OS X for touch? Not easy. Not easy at all. What you would end up with is basically iOS. That is exactly why iOS was made. It was meant to be a touch-based OS X.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I know. Maybe calling it an iPad in the first place is not the best, but this is what Apple needs to fill its porfolio, not an iPad Plus.

Are people clamoring for this and were they for the new MB? Apple seems to be confused. We do not need both products. We need a tab that runs OSX. MAYBE a 12in tab that can run both.

See above post. In the end, all that is going to keep iOS and OS X apart is optimisation for the different methods of input.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Please. I still don't understand why people think this is a good idea. I can't think of anything more muddling than running two separate OSs on one device. Here's a better idea. Optimising iOS for trackpad or mouse support. It's not as hard as it sounds. Running OS X on a device with touch basically just takes away touch. And how easy is it to optimise OS X for touch? Not easy. Not easy at all. What you would end up with is basically iOS. That is exactly why iOS was made. It was meant to be a touch-based OS X.

Agreed. This year Apple has added some overdue multitasking features for the iPad under iOS 9. I'm definitely enjoying my iPad while using a Bluetooth keyboard.

People have been clamoring for a OS X iPad for years... But Apple has constantly been bridging along OS X & iOS slowly.. They both serve as two separate experiences.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio

Never said it would be easy. Apple doesn't get to charge premium prices to do things that are easy. Plus, you don't necessarily need to optimize OS X for touch per se. OS X isn't strictly a GUI. You just need a touch interface for the tablet mode and associated apps. Surface does this but lacks a lot of support that Apple already has. Apple has a much better chance of being successful at it. I see the tablet and desktop worlds merging and I don't think I'm alone. Perhaps Microsoft is early to the game, lacks the right formula, lacks integration, lacks ecosystem, but I don't think they are wrong in introducing such a product.

All the limitations of iOS are coming to the forefront with the more advanced things they are trying to do with it. Apple needs to tread carefully or they risk relegating it to a child's babysitter appliance. Change is needed or I may just give up on it. I think it would be great to drop my iPad into a dock and have a full blown desktop to manage all the data that IOS so elegantly presents via its touch apps and interface. You know, run Photoshop, full Office, interact with peripherals, etc.

I don't see the question as should it be done but instead is Apple up to the challenge. The nMB gets us half way there. Now we just need some slight hardware and major OS re-think to get us the rest of the way.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
All the limitations of iOS are coming to the forefront with the more advanced things they are trying to do with it. Apple needs to tread carefully or they risk relegating it to a child's babysitter appliance. Change is needed or I may just give up on it. I think it would be great to drop my iPad into a dock and have a full blown desktop to manage all the data that IOS so elegantly presents via its touch apps and interface. You know, run Photoshop, full Office, interact with peripherals, etc.

It's a mobile OS.. iOS isn't a full fledge OS like Windows or OS X. Of course it's limited by what it can do.. It's not as powerful as a full fledge OS but it can be a productive OS.

The iPad isn't for everyone that's why they have a Mac, but I don't see Apple trying to build a iPad running OS X in the foreseeable future. Although Microsoft is doing a great job building Windows 10 & the Surface Pro 3. Apple has already decided that they are not trying to follow in those foot steps... It's giving the consumer a half-backed experience.

The Surface Pro 3 serves as a nice laptop, but as far as a tablet it falls short. It's hard to be great at both.. That why Apple doesn't want to get in that territory.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
You could use a stylus on a 10-inch iPad. And yes, they could do the stuff I mentioned on a 10-inch iPad, but they wouldn't. Because margins. I'm not saying that I'm anti-stylus, I'm just saying that there is other ways to differentiate the two iPads.

Current stylus support on the iPads is a joke, and the iPad won't run Windows, which the Macs will do.

AmanO

macrumors regular
It's a mobile OS.. iOS isn't a full fledge OS like Windows or OS X. Of course it's limited by what it can do.. It's not as powerful as a full fledge OS but it can be a productive OS.

The iPad isn't for everyone that's why they have a Mac, but I don't see Apple trying to build a iPad running OS X in the foreseeable future. Although Microsoft is doing a great job building Windows 10 & the Surface Pro 3. Apple has already decided that they are not trying to follow in those foot steps... It's giving the consumer a half-backed experience.

The Surface Pro 3 serves as a nice laptop, but as far as a tablet it falls short. It's hard to be great at both.. That why Apple doesn't want to get in that territory.

I disagree with you on that. Win 8-10 is very good for both platforms.

What is half backed about an ENTIRE computer as a tab? Power, connectivity and usability. I have a ASUS Transformer that has more utility that any iOS device. If MS had made sure that ALL apps for their mobile OSes were compatible and/or not exclusive, it would be even better. (I am speaking about there being at least one that is not and it is their own game)

I feel, while you guys are right about some of what you do say, you are missing the point.

I feel that Apple (and other historic pioneers like Sony and Nintendo) have lost their way.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
What is half backed about an ENTIRE computer as a tab? Power, connectivity and usability. I have a ASUS Transformer that has more utility that any iOS device. If MS had made sure that ALL apps for their mobile OSes were compatible and/or not exclusive, it would be even better. (I am speaking about there being at least one that is not and it is their own game)

I think you missing the point.. It's the experience that matters. I'm sure an ASUS Transformer can do plenty compared to an iOS device. But a fluid experience across the board is what makes the iPad a great tablet.

MS put forth a huge effort in marketing the heck out of their mobile OS while recruiting devs, but still couldn't pull it off. I like Windows platform, but devs is not lining up to support their platform. They made a huge mistake w/ Windows RT. And now they are attempting to find a solution for a lack of app support... Only time will tell if it will help.

Apple hit a home run w/ the iPad.. And it's hard to sustain such a level. But, at this point I'd bet they wouldn't want to trade their position with any other company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.