Why Apple won't be scared

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PCClone, Feb 5, 2011.

1. PCClone macrumors 6502a

Apple will continue to dominate the tablet market and they will sell as many as they have the capacity to produce.

2. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Apple will need to innovate further … there is only so much kool-aid to go around. The competition came out strong this year with Dual-Core CPU's.

But if everybody paid attention they'd realize that the iPad may NOT be announced this February so that production of NVidia's Tegra 3 will have Quad-Core cpu's … actually the 2nd generation Tegra can scale to 8 cores.

so we'll see.

3. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Besides the fact that apple said that they dident want it to be a full fledged computer in the first place.

4. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

I heard this back in 2009 about iPhones. lol

5. thesmoth macrumors 6502

Wow, what an elaborate and well thought out idea.

Username = PC Clone.

6. jlasoon macrumors 6502

Because we all know how much individuals really care about how many cores their tablet computer has. :rolleyes:

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

is there a link to the rest of your thread?:cool:

8. cootersgarage6, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

You're Right..

ou're Right.. They don't have anything to worry about. All the other tablets are copies, and they know that. They also aren't touch responsive... At all... Did you see the report about everyone taking their tablets back? Almost all of the Galaxy tabs have been token back... A lot of them. They just don't have the user experience like the iPad.
    I went to the Verizon Store yesterday to check out the other tablets, and they sucked. The touch SUCKED.

9. mKTank, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2011

mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

They do. And they voted with their wallets, hence Android's popularity. More cores means higher performance and better battery life. It's just better in every way.

How representative of your community.

Are you mad? The Galaxy Tab return rates were under 2%.

Just to have some faith left over in our species, I'm just going to assume you were kidding.

10. hi res macrumors member

hi res

Actually, iPad returns were around 2%, Galaxy Tab's have a 13% return rate.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20030211-37.html

...and...

11. Avalontor macrumors regular

12. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

13. hi res macrumors member

hi res

...and that's coming from the same company that reported total sales, but didn't mention they were including dealer stock. I stand by my initial claim. Actually.

14. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Samsung knows how much they sold a bit better than some analysts.

But sure, stand by your initial claim. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Fact of the matter is, the Galaxy Tab performed incredibly admirably, and has a less than 2% return rate, matching that of the iPad's.

15. neko girl, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

@mKTank, That's an Engadget article where the company (Samsung) that's provided extremely shoddy data so far regarding channel stuffing vs. actual sales, is now trying to refute a statistic that is somewhat damaging to their image. They also don't provide any data like the opposing article does.

Their denial doesn't make the original Samsung report disappear, nor does the clarification of "quite small" to "quite smooth".

The Tab is an unresponsive, badly thought out device that goes against the software provider's (Google's) explicit recommendations. Samsung put it out to profit from a newly created market segment. Samsung also doesn't care that much of existing user bases - look at their trend for updating their Android handhelds. Many (even) die hard Android users are frustrated at Samsung's lack of consideration of existing hardware. They'd much rather just keep pumping out devices than upgrade what they've sold to the newest Google code base.

13%/16% is pretty generous for what it is, I expected a lot higher. This is a hardware manufacturer forgetting the lesson that iOS and Android has taught us: Software is way more important than hardware. This is why the old guard of cell phone manufacturers aren't doing so well anymore. The same philosophy was used for putting out the Tab in the market - that's why it's a terrible product.

That being said, I think a lot of Apple users here are generally ignorant of Android and its capabilities. Android devices aren't as unresponsive as you may think, nearing iOS levels of accuracy on some of their phones. Google appears to have put a significant bit of thought into their tablet OS (3.0), and in some ways, the app scaling has a few tricks that are more sophisticated (ie: panels) than a UI redesign. I honestly think Android is the next Windows in mobile space. It doesn't seem likely that Apple will win any market share wars in the long term.

The reverse is also true, a lot of Android users are clueless about iOS and its capabilities (simple things like iTunes sync capabilities, for example).

Apple doesn't need to win any market share wars. Not as long as they carry home the lion's share of industry profit (what was it, 51% of cell phone profits vs. 4% market share?).

Edit: In general I think it's better to be part of the underdog userbase instead of the majority. This keeps us clear of the giant bullseye of viruses, malware, and spyware that targets the majority market share.

16. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

And you heard right.

At this point, there is no competition. It's all vaporware. Xoom looks interesting, but it's still vaporware too.

17. hi res macrumors member

hi res

so are you "some analysts" or are you part of Samsung? What makes you so sure? There's been absolutely no reliable information coming from Samsung itself, only claims made from analysts and quick rebuttals from Samsung saying everyone but them is wrong--essentially trying to save face.

Maybe you lose sleep over this type of crap, but trust me, I'm not losing sleep over some B.S. tablet market.

18. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Bull crap. You do not know whether that return rate is for consumers or for retail stores to Samsung.

http://twistedmelon.com/blog/feb2011.html#02031101

19. mKTank, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2011

mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

I don't really care about how bad you think the Tab is. I don't have one and I think it is a proper piece of junk. Unfortunately the iPad isn't that much better.

But like I said, Samsung's numbers are as real as it gets. They can't really lie about it, they'd get sued for misinformation.

Neither do the analysts, but you're choosing to believe them over Samsung, whereas Samsung knows the facts instead of making up a hypothesis like the others are doing. It's much more statistically sound to listen to Samsung because they're the only ones with access to the real numbers.

20. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Except Samsung is not being clear at all. They could clear all of this up by using REAL numbers for sales to customers but quite obviously they're embarassing.

21. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

22. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Except this is about REAL numbers for returns from customers. Not many ways to perceive that.

23. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

And they're the only ones who have a motivation to lie/fudge/misreport those numbers. I would trust an analyst over a company any day when it comes to reporting negative information such as return. Think about it dude.

24. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Except it's actually illegal for Samsung to lie about the numbers. They could get sued for it. Samsung know the numbers, whereas the analysts hypothesize.

25. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Where did they say that they were talking about actual consumer returns? They never mentioned that their 2 million figure was only for retailers until pressed during their call.