Why are Apple Cinema Dislpays so Expensive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GoCubsGo, Jun 26, 2007.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Demand for something pretty.
    Who cares, if you can't pay then buy a Dell. I happen to love my Dell.

2. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

title says it all!:confused:

cmon plz tell me.

Is it because of noticeable quality? Is it because of Apple hype or loyalty?

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

From the forum rules:

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I don't understand why they're so expensive...seems like a huge ripoff to me honestly.

My Dell has a whole bunch of inputs that the Apple displays don't have, and, while it isn't gorgeous, looks generally unassuming. For the 20", paying $400 more and losing ports just for a nicer design is far too much, and I'm usually the one justifying the cost of Macs because they are nicely designed.

5. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

Quality

I dont know but maybe their quality an longevity is better?

6. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I don't want to sound mean, but have you not read the above posts?

The reason Apple charges so much is because it's the Apple brand name. I has the same stylings to go along with their MacBook Pro and Mac Pro lines. Some people just want coordinated setups and is willing to pay Apple that $300 premium for the Apple name.

The quality of the Dell and Apple monitors are basically the same from what I've heard because they use the same panel last time I checked.

7. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

It boils down to this... what looks better with that Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/Mac Mini/Etc a Dell, or some Apple Art? I think we like Apple Art better than generic Dell design, so if you're willing to pay for looks...

8. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

Right

So we basically pay for Apple Cinema Displays because of their looks and the name Apple on them.:apple:

9. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

THe LCD used in there is a premium monitor and the color is very nice-- it's comparable to the LaCie models and the really high end LCD's out there. It is much higher quality than the budget brands and the like.

10. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

Dell and Apple are the same

The poster above just said that both Dell and Apple use the same monitor but Apple has the design advantage.

11. furious macrumors 65816

furious

It really makes no sense on Apples part to have the Cinema Displays Priced so much higher than the competition. Their computer line is priced competitively.

This could be the reason that there is no headless mid range Mac. What ever Apple does they cannot reduce the Displays to competitive prices. They do not move a large enough quantity to make their minimum margin at competitive prices.

For Apple to release a headless mid range Mac they would want to be able to sell the Computer, Monitor, Keyboard-mouse set up. So basically the full set. The mini is different in that you are expected to already own a monitor and keyboard-mouse set up.

12. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Plus that statement is wrong anyway. The Apple monitors use a higher quality display to the Dell monitors.

13. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

As a blanket statement, this is not true.

Also, to the OP, are you trying to increase your post count or what? In my opinion, your question was answered with the first response.

14. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

While I used to be big on the Cinema Displays, that ended when I got a 360. I don't currently plan on owning an LCD TV so having other inputs is key.

There are other displays out there that are nice looking as well. The Dell 2707WFP has a nice look and would match an MBP or Mac Pro quite nicely with its aluminum looking body.

If you just want to hook up to a Mac and want to keep it in the Apple family, the ACD is great if you can shell out the cash. They are expensive because they can be.

15. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

That's simply BS, apple doesn't produce their own LCD panels and neither does Dell. Samsung and LG produce the majority of the world's LCD panels. Sure, its going to vary from product to product, so comparable products may not always carry the same exact LCD panel. However, especially on the larger models, I can pretty much guarantee you that they are identical panels, obviously the electronics and backlighting is where the two companies can have variations.

Example of one display that shares the EXACT LCD panel.
    http://www.engadget.com/2005/04/27/anandtech-dell-2005fpw-vs-apple-cinema-display-20-inch/

16. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

There were a few threads about this in the past. Although I don't remember the exact details, Apple LCD panels are slightly of a different type, so it provides better color accuracy. However, unless you are a pro designing for print or editing video professionally (I guess video might still be better to edit on a CRT anyways) you probably would not care.

Unfortunately I don't remember the exact technical terms of the difference, but I distinctly remember reading Wikipedia entries or the two types of LCD panels. You might want to look up there.

17. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

It's called 8-bit vs 6-bit. Most of the Dell Ultrasharps are using 8-bit, but apparently they snuck 6-bit panels into one or two along the line. If you are worried, call Dell! Otherwise, as long as it's an 8-bit panel the color reproduction should be IDENTICAL with contrast and brightness being the only varying factors.

Trust me when I say that Apple doesn't do enough business for LG/Samsung to be making 8-bit panels just for them. I swear, people think that just because they slap a damn apple logo on the thing that it is blessed with pixy dust.

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Additionally the Apple Displays don't support HDCP which is crap. This means if you buy one now, you're going to have to buy another one in a year when Macs get hd optical drives, or you wont be able to watch your hd movies on your Mac.

19. hi-there macrumors member

What do you want from your display?

For me, the most important aspect to consider when purchasing a display is its use. How will you use your display?

If you are creative professional like me, colour accuracy, even lighting, SWOP/ICS certification are THE MOST important consideration. Some, well financed people in this catagory might even look at even better spec-ed displays from Eizo and Lacie but they are in another category (price & spec). ACD are good displays suitable for professional work. If this is you, it is worth it. If not, only you can decide. However, neither have 24"+ models yet.

IF you do not need that sort of colour accuracy/even lighting, then your options are greatly increased. Some people determine their purchase by price, some by design, some by response time/speed, etc.,

If you are a domestic user (ie. used for word processing, email, games, etc.,), I would suggest non-Apple brands. There are many better options. If you need colour accuracy (ie. photographers, designers, video editor, etc.,) you really only have Eizo, Lacie, Apple (and a very few others) to choose from at the moment. I understand Samsung is planning to release a pro-line 30" with hardware colour calibrator built in.

As for the discussion about the Dell and Apple... I believe the panel is the same but the backlight and electronics inside is different... (only if colour accuracy is important). So the value comes from what you want to do with your display.

20. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Apple Displays should not be lumped with Lacie or Eizo. Their quality and flexiblity just aren't there.

21. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Me being one of them. I love everything matching, sucker for it. :/

[​IMG]
    You have to admit, isn't that sexy or what? :)

There's something that fascinates me with the anodized look.

[​IMG]
    http://www.schrankmonster.de/content/binary/Desk_From_Side_thumb.jpg

I do find the ACD better than the Dell but its each to his/own preference. The Dell is also a great display, but I truly love the quality of the ACD screen.

22. tonyeck macrumors 6502

tonyeck

I have a 23" ACD and a 24" Dell 2507 FPW.

I have had NOTHING but problems with my ACD, weather it be a pink hue, dead pixels or just a nightmare to colour correct. (This is of course just my experience, but I am sure I am not alone)

The Dell gets my vote. To be honest, it's not like it even looks bad?!

23. jlanuez macrumors 6502

They are beautiful machines to work on...

When we migrated our studio to MAC, we had been using DELL for 10+ years. Moving away from Windows PCs was the objective and by making the big financial investment in buying all MACs - - - YES, we wanted to buy ACDs to go along with them and we wanted to never again have DELL products (bad memories, and not pretty to look at IMHO).

I don't see anything wrong with that and wanting everything to be aesthetically pleasing to the eye (we do photography, so "visuals" matter).

:D We LOVE working on our :apple:MACs and their look & feel (design) have a lot to do with that. We feel it is worth the money to be happy while sitting in front of and using these computers every day of our life.

And now the iPhone is part of our everyday use of technology. We all need cell phones (and computers) so why not ENJOY the best. Since getting the iPhone last week there was 2 days (vacation, but I still checked & responded to client email) where I ever turned on the computer as all I needed to do was use email! And now ALL of our email is synced! What a time and stress saver! :)

24. monsoco macrumors newbie

How are the Apple displays "designed" better than the Dell's? They're pretty much the exact same except the Dell says "Dell" on it and the Apple display has the Apple logo in the same spot.

And $1,270 vs. $1,800 for a 30" ?? $530 is crazy for just a logo difference. I'm all about paying more for my MacBook Pro (or something like a mini) which actually has noticeable differences (and we're talking a few hundred more, not $500+ more) and runs OSX (most of what I am willing to pay more for is the fact that it's OSX, not Windows).

25. SavageLLama77 macrumors regular

¡Tú eres tardísimo!