Why are Macs so Expensive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pr5owner, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pr5owner macrumors 65816

i just cant grasp the concept of even buying a mac, the OS isnt a full features OS, it doesnt even have an office suite. the OS is the only thing that is diffrent about PC and Macs.

Cheapest iMac $1299
    1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 1x1GB (generic Ram single Channel)
    250GB Serial ATA Drive (generic HDD)
    SuperDrive 8x (garbage Mashita drive)
    3 USB Ports (what a load of BS, the 2 on the KB cannot run at full 500mA so they dont count)
    Apple Mighty Mouse (lol)
    Apple Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X
    2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory (low end video card)
    20-inch glossy widescreen LCD (LG display, same as the dell monitors)
    AirPort Extreme
    Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

PC $1299
    4GB Dual Ch OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 (800MHz, not generic, non crap, overclocking ram)
    Seagate 500GB SATA 32MB Cache
    Samsung 20x DVDRW DL LightScribe (does the mac offer a lightscribe DVD burner?)
    12 USB Ports ALL of them can handle 500mA
    OCZ 2500DPI Mouse
    Razer/Microsoft Reclusa backlit gaming keyboard
    Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600 2.4GHz w/ 2x4MB Cache
    Palit nvidia 8800GT 1GB Video Card (this card will slaughter ATis fastest card the 3870 512MB)
    22" Samsung 5ms LCD Monitor
    Wireless ABGN internal wireless card (atheros, not some generic make)
    Bluetooth 2.0 EDR adapter

1GB 667MHz Ram single Ch Vs 4GB 800MHz Dual Ch
    250GB Generic HDD Vs Seagate 500GB 32MB cache
    8x Generic Drive Vs 20x Lightscribe
    3x USB Ports Vs 12x USB Ports
    garbage mouse Vs 2500DPI Laser gaming mouse
    keyboard with 2USB Ports Vs Backlit gaming Keyboard with 2USB Ports
    2.0 GHz Dual Core Vs 2.4GHz QUAD Core
    ATi 2400 XT 128MB Vs nVidia 8800GT 1024MB (faster than the ATi 3870 512MB)
    20" LG LCD Vs 22" Samsung LCD
    Wireless Vs Wireless + A
    Bluetooth vs Bluetooth
    OSX 10.5 Vs Ubuntu 7.10 (full office suite out of the box, well cd/usb install)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I stopped reading right there, troll. Define fully-featured. It's not like Office 2003 or 2007 comes with Vista, anyway. That's $600 extra.

If you expect something that will control everything in your life for you, you should consider a parent, as your childish post is based on hardware whoring and OS whining.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What brand "PC" is that ? Please provide a link.

You might also want to change your sig.It's a page not found also.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

wow! is this ever going to start a discussion?

firstly, you havent considered:

- Mac's design and quality.
    - Mac OS X does have an office suite called "iWork" but it ts not included, only a trial. This is the same for windows. the home media suite "iLife" is included on every Mac.
    - a similarly speced dell is more expensive an than a Mac Pro.

EDIT: generic HDD? rofl its a seagate!

5. djellison macrumors 68020

Bull. Mac's might look pretty - but they're far too fragile. My MB is the worst built computer I've ever owned. PC's half the price are built orders of magnitude better.

The ONLY reason that Mac's are so expensive ( and they are ) is this...

People are prepared to pay extortionate prices for average quality computers that are too fragile so they can use OSX.

I'm happy to admit that. Why won't people stop trying to justify the prices. It's impossible. It's an OSX tax. You either want to pay it, or you don't. That's it.

That's it.

DOug

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Bull. my macbook pro is very durable as its made out of aircraft grade aluminium... check & mate. if i were to choose between a pc laptop e.g. a toshiba or a macbook pro, i would pay more for the macbook pro's beautiful design.

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

There are actual hardware differences between Macs and PCs, to do with the architecture of the logic board and some of the hardware (particularly graphics and sound cards).

However, the OS is by far the biggest difference, but also the most important part of any computer.

I don't compare Macs to PCs in terms of GHz speed, because I know (from experience) that Macs are going to run faster than an equivalent PC.

The whole 'GHz' thing is a flawed argument. The OS is the most important part of a computer, and this is where Macs are streets ahead...

8. se7eren macrumors newbie

Often wondered what Bill Gates liked to do on a Sunday afternoon. Now I know.:rolleyes:

9. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

10. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Can you run MacOSX on your so great $1299 PC???

Why you need soo many USB ports, if you want speed:
    - One FireWire 400 and one FireWire 800 port; 7 watts each.
    Go wireless.

Ahh! I get it, the PC comes with so many USB ports to try all of them when troubleshooting over the phone with the IT PC guys, more time to have "fun" trying to make it work.

The fastest Computer to Run Vista is a Mac.

If you want an Office Suite: NeoOffice.
    FREE.

Best Things in life are free.

Opening your new :apple: mac stuff is priceless.

Comparing Mac Specs with PC specs is like comparing :apple:s and Oranges.

11. UK-sHaDoW macrumors newbie

Where is this pc? So we can compare?

Link?

If its custom built, did you include a decent aluminium case. I.e Lian Li that will set you back $200 - 250
    Also mobo, and psu?

A decent psu aswell, unless you want your pc to automatically turn its self on at random intervals.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

it has been disproved, time to update your information.
    design: yes
    quality: no, its no better than any other pcs, and worse in my case.

to OP, mac is NOT that expensive with similar hardwares, it just lack of any really flexible cheap options.

13. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Well, then buy your PC, buy Windows and install it. Try to enjoy it :D.
    OS X knows what hardware it's running on, and is optimized for it. That alone means a premium to me.
    Yes, you can get for the same price a pc with better specs, but specs are only one part of the ecuation. My iMac runs much faster (with lower specs) than pc video editing workstations I've worked on (including Xeons)
    Plus, they don't make Aperture for windows!

14. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

:D

To the OP: if you're determined to choose just by looking at hardware specs, stick with your PC. You'll be happy. I realise it sounds über cheesy, but the reason people buy Macs is the experience - primarily, the ease with which they can use their computer. If a list of numbers is more important than the speed at which you can work, so be it :eek:

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Macs are only expensive to those who do not value them... and the fact that they hold their value far longer than an equivalent PC, says far more than whatever someone who doesn't actually own a Mac thinks.

I see nothing to crow about in buying something cheap; a computer is more than the sum of its parts.

16. djellison macrumors 68020

Is that the sort of aircraft with dents in the fuselage. I don't doubt the quality of the raw material. The deployment of it leaves much to be desired. For a £1600 laptop - it's not good enough.

I intend to buy an MBP in February - I am prepared to pay something like 2x the value of the actual machine itself, to run OSX. Don't pretend it's a better laptop than anything else. It isn't.

Doug

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

please explain to me again about this so called "widely accepted concept", does a 5 years old mac retain its value better than a 5 years old pc? and exactly why do you think so?

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If you can show an equivalent-specced machine and one exactly the same weight or less for half the price — as your persistent hyperbole insists — then please do so, thanks.

19. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

I'm sorry but you have a problem if you fail to see the advantages of having a mac and running OS X.

:apple:-no viruses (no need to pay $ for different virus protection: spyware, malware, adware, etc.)
    :apple:-design (macs as well as the OS have a sleek and overall beautiful design, i knows its an opinion but look at the newer pc's design compared to a new iMac or Macbook Pro)
    :apple:-ease of use (OS X has many features to improve performance and productivity without being to complicated, they are so great the Vista has decided to steal some features such as: spotlight, widgets, etc. <http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_story=d14603c1e23e6ce37920a8134a2e27b1405a4991> )
    :apple:-resell value (its a proven fact you can get more for a mac then a pc, google it i dare you :D, so the initial cost of a mac may be steeper then some pc's, but if you were to sell it you would make a larger profit then attempting to sell a pc)

20. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Full feature OS? Most PCs you buy will not come with an office suite unless you happen to get a deal and the vendor will "throw it in". You usually have to buy one.

Agreed.

Hahah...
    Did I used to hate that! Call Dell with a problem, and they will tell you to "change to another USB port" - what a nightmare when there are 8 of them!

Certainly...inside, you can say a Mac is very similar to the inside of a PC. Despite that, the experience is completely different.

21. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Wow, I feel sorry for you.
    Sorry that you had to spend the time posting your little rant. Some how I guess viewing your own rant about how overpriced macs are. In a way allows you to feel better about your self, for making the mistake of buying a p.c.

You have come, to a sad realization. Cancel or allow?

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Possibly because demand outstrips supply, they are supported by Apple for longer, and they have an excellent reputation for reliability; a key reason why we'll still get another 2-3 years life out of 4 year old production machines.

23. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

time to update your info, its all FREE!
    design is an advantages, as I always agree
    this "copy' thing is out of control, and you should know apple copy others more than anybody else, which is a GREAT thing!
    and why is that? are you borrowing the idea from a PPC mac and just dump it on an Intel Mac? which has absolutely no difference from any intel chip PCs?

fair enough, but to be honest, with today's mac are all made from same hardwares as all PCs, other than supply and demand, is there any technical reason for this "long tern better value" thing?

I think its about the time to admit macs, as far as hardwares are concerned, are no different from other pcs. and Apple is NOT famous for using high quality hardwares.

24. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

pics or it didn't happen.....or in this case links or it don't mean a thing ;)

I could say I can get a pc with dual quad processors a terrabyte harddrive and a 8600 graphics card for $300 I mean seriously you CAN say ANYTHING so I need proof :cool:

25. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.