Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j1104638

Suspended
Dec 26, 2015
Name another top tech company that doesn't shamelessly sell/take your data.
Funnily enough, Microsoft before Windows 10. They just didn't care enough about our data for it to be threatened by themselves.

At the moment pretty much all three of them - (in alphabetical order) Apple, Google, Microsoft - are ******** on our privacy.

IMHO stressing that their difference is less than statistical error is much more important than saying that Apple care about privacy.

j1104638

Suspended
Dec 26, 2015
When does Apple take users data to sell to 3rd party advertisers? Third party applications don't count.
Ecosystem defines a lot of approaches applications use. And especially in Apple's case where its ecosystem is much more strictly controlled than the one of Google and even more than the one of Microsoft. (Not that they are any better - they just suck more in other aspects.)

If AppStore, iTunes, Play, whatever Microsoft's appstore is called were owned by third parties you could say what you've said. At the moment they define what application will do.

j1104638

Suspended
Dec 26, 2015
I happen to like the fine grain control, it means I get more quality out of my selection than potential bad eggs.
First of all, both Microsoft and Google do have it at the moment as well. But, again funnily enough, it does not help them any more than it helps Apple.

For example, you cannot control which application is allowed to access internet (both cellular and wi-fi). Silly, sure, you can control all the important data - contacts, photos etc - why would you need to control if it can access internet, right? Well, for example there are apps one wants to use but besides main functionality app asks for some extra permissions and it refuses to fulfill its main functionality until you give it to them. You have to either abandon the app, or risk your data.

Fine grain control over internet access would solve this problem. But none of them would implement it because it would hurt their profit.

On Android you can at least circumvent Google and add this functionality using different customs (firmwares, apps, hacks etc). It's not thanks to Google though, they would very like to stop you from doing it.

Tell me more about fine grain control.

I don't need the customization options, I manage computers and the networks they are attached to, the last thing I care to spend my time on is figuring out where App sources are and if the app I want to download is safe. I get the point you are wanting to make and for some people, it's a valid point, however, I feel that with Apple having fine grain control over what is allowed to happen, the less I have to be concerned about the device and the more I can just use it. I'm not saying it's completely bug free, but I'm willing to let Apple take lead on that because they get paid to do that, I get paid to manage a crap ton of Windows machines and cry because most of the crap I fix is easy restart the computer stuff that occurred just because the OS misread a piece of memory.

The fact is, by the time I get home, I don't want to spend my evening working on an issue that my computer had out of the blue, I'd rather just enjoy the experience and be productive. So yeah, I'm willing to spend $2,000 on a computer because it's one less thing I have to screw with when I get off work.

Cancelled
Jan 30, 2016
I don't need the customization options, I manage computers and the networks they are attached to, the last thing I care to spend my time on is figuring out where App sources are and if the app I want to download is safe. I get the point you are wanting to make and for some people, it's a valid point, however, I feel that with Apple having fine grain control over what is allowed to happen, the less I have to be concerned about the device and the more I can just use it. I'm not saying it's completely bug free, but I'm willing to let Apple take lead on that because they get paid to do that, I get paid to manage a crap ton of Windows machines and cry because most of the crap I fix is easy restart the computer stuff that occurred just because the OS misread a piece of memory.

The fact is, by the time I get home, I don't want to spend my evening working on an issue that my computer had out of the blue, I'd rather just enjoy the experience and be productive. So yeah, I'm willing to spend $2,000 on a computer because it's one less thing I have to screw with when I get off work.

A properly maintained Windows box has been no more or less problematic than my OS X box. I am enjoying the operating system, but I've still had my own share of quirks from third party and first party apps, weird iCloud idiosyncrasies, etc. I've been using OS X lately since I'm a system administrator for both Windows and Linux servers, and I like having native tools for both baked in, but the idea that permeates here that OS X > Windows in stability is just anecdotal nonsense. Windows, Linux, and OS X are all tools, and they can all be superbly stable or a total dumpster fire in equal measures depending on the circumstances.

j1104638

Suspended
Dec 26, 2015
Well I buy Apple because of their ethics towards privacy and the OS just feels a lot better than others.
If you look at my initial post, you'd see I only targeted your privacy comment. I very well agree with the second part and your last post (IT guy myself, not an admin though, but I do not want to administer at home as well). The trend is bad (Apple is losing it, Microsoft, on the opposite, accelerates IMHO) but at the moment Apple is still leading.

I just don't feel their privacy attitude deserves praise. Any of them.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
If Apple wants to continue being seen as an environmentally conscious company, I think there's a chance they may reverse course in the future and make components like RAM and battery more serviceable and user upgradable again..especially if it ends up giving them a bunch of bad press down the road (and that could happen).

That said, while I do generally care about the ability to upgrade my desktops and laptops, I knew what I was getting into when I swiched to a MacBook and have no regrets about the purchase. The SSD could be swapped, but it's one of the fastest you can find, so why would I swap unless it fails..and the RAM is maxed out. There's really nothing I will need to upgrade while I own this machine.

What's crappy is that if one component fails, you often end up having to replace a bunch of other components, too, because of the way everything is soldered and glued together. And that's not very "green".

So what's the point of having a thin and light Retina MacBook Pro if I am going to gave to carry around a thick and heavy external hard drive along with it?

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extre...F8&qid=1460661202&sr=8-9&keywords=Sandisk+ssd

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Porta...60661233&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+external+ssd

^ Two super fast external drives that are anything but thick and heavy. I own the Sandisk SSD. It weighs 2 ounces and fits in the palm of my hand.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.