Why are so many Mac users complete jackasses?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ConnieSnyder, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConnieSnyder macrumors newbie

Yes this is a rant and yes I'm a Mac user but I'm sick and tired of so many Mac zealots belittling new or non-Apple users. :mad:

It seems to me that Mac users are like BMW drivers - in general, they're complete and utter dicks (edit: sorry, I got carried away, perhaps I shouldn't have targeted BMW drivers). For some reason many Mac users seem to think they're better than everyone else (apart from fellow Apple veterans), spend their time poking fun at everyone else and just talking bollocks.

I became a Mac user about 6 months ago but before that I was a PC user of about 15 years. I'd always wanted to make the switch because I work with PCs every day & they drive me crazy but the pretentious attitude of the Mac community put me off. 6 months ago I needed to upgrade my Windows laptop and so I decided I'd ignore the Mac community and take the plunge.

I'm very happy with my iMac and don't want to switch back to Windows but the obnoxious behaviour of the Mac community is starting to drive me back.

Rant over.
    :rolleyes:

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Some people are like that (feel greater than others). Worlds if full of them, sadly a large portion are Mac users...

that or...

you just had bad luck.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Which Mac Community?

The one on the streets, the one at work, the on home, the ones in the world wild wet?

You can ignore many of them if you want to.

You you can let it drive you Linux/BeOs/Solaris/Atari/OSsi.

4. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Hehe...it is a vocal minority for sure. I know lots of decent people who use them but the person you describe is sure real just not the norm I think...same with BMW or any brand really.

Spinner your sig line busted me...I catch myself "apostrophyzing" plurals lately...no idea what's up with that.

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I'm sorry, what were you saying? I was busy polishing my BMW.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Don't knock BMW drivers!

Also, obnoxious people make you want to use Windows?

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

We are not complete jackasses, most of us are half-assed.

8. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

HEHEH "The one on the streets." Those bad boys carry around iGATS.. watch out, they'll pop a cap in ya!

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I've already gotten in trouble for calling someone a jackass once, so I am going to word this very carefully:

While there are some members of the mac community who are over-zealous to an extreme on occasion, one has to wonder about someone who signs up for a mac oriented forum just to call members of said community jackasses.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Jackasses come from all walks of life and aren't limited to Mac & BMW owners. Get used to it OP. Also, are you that insecure that you would let the behavior of other dictate what computer you use? Seems silly to me.

11. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Can you guys post with CAPS LOCK on? I can't hear you over my BMW.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think she was just referring to the ones who seem to worship the Apple idol. The ones who will argue any point (for example the size of the iPhone is perfect, even though a little bigger might make for better battery life), only because Apple did it, it must be the right way.

I don't think she was saying that. What she was saying was that she felt like if she needed help she wasn't going to get it after she got her Mac, since she came from Windows. So, she hesitated to make the jump to a Mac.

13. ajthomason macrumors 6502

I sympathise with the OP. I'm a mac user, have been for years now but you wouldn't believe how shocked people get when I said I sold my iPhone for a Hero or I they find out that my 7" tablet runs Windows - and they are all Windows users and for some reason they all have the impression that every single Mac user is exactly as the OP described - Apple worshiping and would never say anything against the 'mighty' Steve Jobs (and for the record, from what I've heard about him, and yes 'Pirates of silicon valley' is my source, I really wouldn't like the guy or even respect him if I met him).

Somehow the stereotype is out there and just because I own a couple of macs, people instantly put me in it - there has to be a reason for it, so there must actually be people like that... a lot of them.

Don't bet on it, I've had a mac user have the audacity to ask me to justify why I bought a mac and when I obliged briefly with a couple of reasons because I thought they were just generally interested I was greeted with the response "well, you can do that on Windows, you don't need a mac" as if owning a mac was an elitist club that I just wasn't welcome in.

In another conversation, with the same person I hasten to add, I mentioned that I use Dell monitors and again was expected to justify why I didn't buy Apple's cinema displays, not in a casual way like you would ask someone why they chose the sony DVD player over a Panasonic one but in the kind of way that makes you feel that they think you have just blasphemed against their God.

14. alFR macrumors 68020

OP only just joined? Only one (inflammatory) post? Trolltastic. :rolleyes:

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The problem is

Mac users: Macs are great, no viruses, etc. You should get a Mac

PC users thinks
    - Those things Mac user claim sounds impossible. Mac users must be lying SOB.
    - Are you saying I am not smart enough to make up my own choice? What a jerk.

What about PC Jackasses? (PCNormal video)
    http://obamapacman.com/2009/11/scary-pcnormal-activity-paranormal-activity-tech-version/

Good call.

16. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Of course there are those people out there, but I was more pointing out what alFR said.

Signing up for a mac forum and then posting, as your first post, a rather pretentious thread calling many mac users pretentious isn't exactly the best way to make friends...

17. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Only people who ARE the kind of people the OP is talking about would give her grief. It is well known that some people get way to personally identified with a brand. The troll call has become a tired default of people who disagree and want to try and dismiss you and try to invalidate what you have to say.

I love how OSX works compared to Windows but that is as far as I can go. The hardware while nice looking is not any better quality to me, nor is the service. Nothing is perfect and owning a product does not make you better than someone who doesn't.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Agreed. I didn't notice it was her first post. That's strange. (Damn I want to post a bunny. :))

19. ConnieSnyder thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I didn't what to come across as a troll. I was just fed up & thought I'd post on MacRumors.

Also, I didn't mean to offend all BMW drivers it's just the ones I know are complete dicks!

This is what happens to me. I use my Mac as a tool and not as a status symbol but this seems to offend many Mac users.

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You want to watch the language, but especially towards other members. Just sayin'. Not that you are addressing any members.

So, do you plan on coming in the forums often? Have you been lurking? You really just have to learn to ignore the ones you refer to. You can even click "ignore" if you didn't know it.

Anyway, welcome to MR.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Wow, didn't notice till now. OP, starting a potential flame war is not the best way to introduce yourself.

22. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

You are only saying what a lot of people are thinking...and those who get so upset at you are likely the types you mean. It is a fact of humanity that some people think they are "cool" because of some product or brand name. For every person who wore Jordache jeans because they wanted to show off there were probably 10 that just liked the fit :D

23. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

You're complaining about Mac users being obnoxious, with an opinion like that?

Interesting.

24. djellison macrumors 68020

and I think the EXACT same thing. Your words echo my feelings toward the Mac community very well. I know people who see this community and refuse on principle to join it by getting a Mac.

25. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

The best way to handle it is to be the bigger person. And if I may, calling people pretentious, jackasses, and dicks really isn't the way to be the bigger person. MR is an awesome place, I've been hanging around for a couple years now and have made some great online friends. Fanbois are just part of it, and if you let them get to you, you'll be the one missing out.

Welcome to Mac Rumors, nonetheless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.