Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
These forums have always been a bit on the slow side, especially after the white on off white re-theming that happened several months ago. But for the past 2-3 weeks it's been simply awful. When loading a new forum page I get waits of 5-10 seconds sometimes. The page will look like its fully loaded, but then just sit there for several seconds.

This is consistent with every time I load a page, reply to a post, go to a different page of a thread, etc. My suspicion is the wait time is from ads being loaded, but I'm not tech savvy where I can investigate that.

This is on the latest edition of Chrome, IE11, and Edge browser tested on a surface pro 3, surface pro 4, my home desktop with an i5, a couple of my work PC's and a couple of atom tablets.

Please tell me this is a work in progress or a known bug. The forums are bordering on being unusable they are so slow. I'll help in any way I can if you need any logs or to test my setup.

Edit: I also wanted to add that responding to posts is awfully slow. Specifically typing and editing inside the response box is very slow and lags very badly. This is in addition to the slow loading of the forums.

Reactions: Peter K.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have noticed this as well, specifically on my iMac and MacBook Pro, which Safari is my preference. However, my iPhone SE has had little issues on wifi and LTE.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
It's all fine here. No lag with typing, no waiting when loading forum pages. Primarily using Safari. Note that my internet speed is pretty bad, but the forums are mostly text so it's not much of an issue.

--Eric

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
These forums have always been a bit on the slow side, especially after the white on off white re-theming that happened several months ago. But for the past 2-3 weeks it's been simply awful. When loading a new forum page I get waits of 5-10 seconds sometimes. The page will look like its fully loaded, but then just sit there for several seconds.

This is consistent with every time I load a page, reply to a post, go to a different page of a thread, etc. My suspicion is the wait time is from ads being loaded, but I'm not tech savvy where I can investigate that.

This is on the latest edition of Chrome, IE11, and Edge browser tested on a surface pro 3, surface pro 4, my home desktop with an i5, a couple of my work PC's and a couple of atom tablets.

Please tell me this is a work in progress or a known bug. The forums are bordering on being unusable they are so slow. I'll help in any way I can if you need any logs or to test my setup.

Edit: I also wanted to add that responding to posts is awfully slow. Specifically typing and editing inside the response box is very slow and lags very badly. This is in addition to the slow loading of the forums.

This has been my experience, also, lately.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Overall, I've not run into any performance issues - perhaps its related to location.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
haven't heard of other complaints. The forums have been running well for me on my Macs. I'll try to test it on some PCs to see if there's a difference

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
haven't heard of other complaints. The forums have been running well for me on my Macs. I'll try to test it on some PCs to see if there's a difference
FWIW I haven't had any performance issues with the site and I have and use a PC and two Mac's at home and a PC at work. Everything is fine on my end in Safari, Firefox and Edge.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

When I am at home, I have noticed that it can be very slow, and prone to stalling, freezing and crashes.

Moreover, I have also noticed that the 'alert' system causes a bit of destabilisation, in that the system stalls, and freezes, when an alert arrives, - especially if I am trying to do something else, such as open a thread, advance a page, or send - or edit - a post.

However, abroad, I have noticed far fewer problems.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
The lag / hanging probably has to do something with the ads. I would be curious to see if the people not experiencing the problem are running ad block ? I do not run ad block and have also noticed the problem although it does seem to vary slightly depending on the location.

Reactions: Peter K.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The forums seem very slow for me today, pages are not loading and I have to hit refresh a couple of times.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would never leave the house. :eek:
Its cold, I'm debating about running this morning or not. I'd rather run in 30 degree temps.

As for the forums, I've been going to other sites and no performance issues, I also reboot my router, but the problem persists. Its not every page having problems but its consistent enough to be a pain.

Reactions: Weaselboy

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
I've not tried the forums from my iMac today, yet. However, via TapaTalk, all seems fine...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Later in the afternoon performance seemed to come back. I think it might been a regional issue. No other sites were having issues as I mentioned. Either way, its all good now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.