Why are the forums so freakin slow?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by spinedoc77, Aug 12, 2016.

1. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

These forums have always been a bit on the slow side, especially after the white on off white re-theming that happened several months ago. But for the past 2-3 weeks it's been simply awful. When loading a new forum page I get waits of 5-10 seconds sometimes. The page will look like its fully loaded, but then just sit there for several seconds.

This is consistent with every time I load a page, reply to a post, go to a different page of a thread, etc. My suspicion is the wait time is from ads being loaded, but I'm not tech savvy where I can investigate that.

This is on the latest edition of Chrome, IE11, and Edge browser tested on a surface pro 3, surface pro 4, my home desktop with an i5, a couple of my work PC's and a couple of atom tablets.

Please tell me this is a work in progress or a known bug. The forums are bordering on being unusable they are so slow. I'll help in any way I can if you need any logs or to test my setup.

Edit: I also wanted to add that responding to posts is awfully slow. Specifically typing and editing inside the response box is very slow and lags very badly. This is in addition to the slow loading of the forums.

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I have noticed this as well, specifically on my iMac and MacBook Pro, which Safari is my preference. However, my iPhone SE has had little issues on wifi and LTE.

3. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It's all fine here. No lag with typing, no waiting when loading forum pages. Primarily using Safari. Note that my internet speed is pretty bad, but the forums are mostly text so it's not much of an issue.

--Eric

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

@spinedoc77 , I haven't experienced any of the lag/latency that you're describing. (iPhone 6 on 9.3.4 & iPad Air 2 on 10 PB & in U.S.)

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

6. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

This has been my experience, also, lately.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Overall, I've not run into any performance issues - perhaps its related to location.

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

haven't heard of other complaints. The forums have been running well for me on my Macs. I'll try to test it on some PCs to see if there's a difference

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

FWIW I haven't had any performance issues with the site and I have and use a PC and two Mac's at home and a PC at work. Everything is fine on my end in Safari, Firefox and Edge.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

When I am at home, I have noticed that it can be very slow, and prone to stalling, freezing and crashes.

Moreover, I have also noticed that the 'alert' system causes a bit of destabilisation, in that the system stalls, and freezes, when an alert arrives, - especially if I am trying to do something else, such as open a thread, advance a page, or send - or edit - a post.

However, abroad, I have noticed far fewer problems.

11. smirking macrumors 6502a

No issues here for me either. Those of you who are having problems... have you turned off Flash? I sometimes have problems when I leave Flash on.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, now. That is worth noting.

13. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

My comment, specifically, was referring to accessing the site from an iPhone.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have noticed that the forums seem to be slow again today - the first time this has happened since in several weeks.

15. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The lag / hanging probably has to do something with the ads. I would be curious to see if the people not experiencing the problem are running ad block ? I do not run ad block and have also noticed the problem although it does seem to vary slightly depending on the location.

16. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I had to log back in last night (I never log out) on my iPhone 6+.
    Then today I couldn't get the forums to load for most of the day.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The forums seem very slow for me today, pages are not loading and I have to hit refresh a couple of times.

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No issues here for me
    How cold is it up there today?
    Maybe your connection has frozen over :)

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

19 degrees - so its very cold.

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would never leave the house. :eek:

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its cold, I'm debating about running this morning or not. I'd rather run in 30 degree temps.

As for the forums, I've been going to other sites and no performance issues, I also reboot my router, but the problem persists. Its not every page having problems but its consistent enough to be a pain.

22. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

I've not tried the forums from my iMac today, yet. However, via TapaTalk, all seems fine...

23. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Forums working fine here also. Maybe a regional thing.

24. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Or a personal thing :)

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Later in the afternoon performance seemed to come back. I think it might been a regional issue. No other sites were having issues as I mentioned. Either way, its all good now :)