Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeLaSoul

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2022
When you lay your iPhone down on a desk and want to type something, it isn’t stable and wobbles, because the cameras pop out on the back side and they are not beautifully in the center, but in a corner. It’s kind of ugly, and not the best UX design. Why? The thicker the lenses, the worse it gets.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Because most people hold the phone in their hand when taking pictures. A camera in the center would mean your palm is blocking the camera.

You'd have to adjust your grip and hold the phone really weird. Possibly that might make you drop it, especially if you were in a crowd.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

DeLaSoul

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2022
Because most people hold the phone in their hand when taking pictures. A camera in the center would mean your palm is blocking the camera.

You'd have to adjust your grip and hold the phone really weird. Possibly that might make you drop it, especially if you were in a crowd.
I mean top center

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Probably a compromise between landscape and portrait photography, corner cameras stay out of your palm in either orientation

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
With the lens in a corner, you can put the lens almost at ground level; this enables perspectives that aren’t otherwise possible, especially for macro photography.

If the wobbling really bothers you, get a case with a back that’s of uniform depth. Or you could get a MagSafe accessory, such as the Peak Design wallet with built-in kickstand.

b&

Reactions: DeLaSoul

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
Frankly, I’ve not known anyone who lays their iPhone down on a surface to type on it. Maybe ppl do, but I’ve never done that and I’ve never seen someone do it.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately

Slightly off topic. But I’ve noticed I’m having the tip of my index finger in some photos that I take with my 14PM. Never had this issue with the 13PM or 12PM. I suppose it’s to do with the larger lens now.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Because the TrueDepth module already occupies that space.
winn3r! Plus I think itlll look ugly in the center. The new galaxy ultra camera modules look so ugly. Even though Apple camera are getting bulkier at least it looks better than the galaxy models.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.