Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
well core duo machines arent 64 bit and they are fairly recent

yea most people who bought macs in 2006 got core duo machines... the only 32-bit intel macs out there. and I'll be a little disappointed if my two and a half year-old machine cant run 10.6

I dont care about 10.7 working on my machine... 10.6 and I'll be happy

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Going by the forum spy these recent days, it seems like there are more whiners whining about whiners than whiners whining about Apple not meeting (almost non-existing) expectations.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Actually the extended battery and anti glare screen are just for the Macbook Pro, and not the Macbook like you have.

No kidding? Really think I am that dumb? Please. The point is MBP buyers all whine and complain there is no matte display. This should make all of the "Professionals" very happy. And everyone wants to complain... the MBP no Firewire 400, the MBP no matte display. They say, "the MBP, I will never buy one of those again with those awful glossy displays." NOW, there is an option for an anti-glare display on a MBP. So, my point is people should say hooray, I can buy a MBP now! Just like there are like 3,000 people that complained about the MB not having firewire. My point also is, that people whine and complain in nearly every post asking which MB or which MBP they should buy. The replies always say, get an old model because they have matte, or get an old model MB cause it has firewire. With ALL of the complaining, I though people are going to be happy now, there is an anti-glare MBP available... I know it's in the 17" model, but the point is people should be HAPPY. About 15% of the people here at MacRumors are happy about Apple products, and I think that stinks! I just would like to read a majority of posts where the people aren't complaining about no firewire and no matte display for MBP. It gets really old. Go through the last two months of posts and read for yourself. It's sad that people are this unhappy. Not like you're forced to use Vista. Sure if you "need" a matte display, you now have a reason to say "hooray." But nobody will do that. It's all complaining about the really great battery. It is really sad you all aren't happy about your products. I am completely happy with every Apple product I own.

Sad, sad, sad. I think there should be as many posts from people being excited as people complaining that's all. And, it just isn't even close. iLife 09 is amazing. iWork 09 is a huge improvement. Be HAPPY! Quit complaining all of the time, it may just make you live a few years longer to not be so negative and let a glossy display rule and ruin your lives!

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
a) No Mac mini refresh (main reason, IMO)
b) No Steve Jobs
c) No iMac update
d) No Snow Leopard
e) No Mac Tablet device
f) No news about PUSH for iPhone/iPod touch
g) New MacBook Pro a non-removable battery.
h) Certain iTunes songs now $1.29
i) $.30 a song to upgrade your paid for songs to DRM free and better quality (really adds up).
j) Expected more for being Apple's final MacWorld.
k) No 64GB iPod touch
l) No 32GB iPhone
m) No new firmware for iPhone
n) No new firmware for iPod touch
o) No iPhone nano (even though I despise the idea).
p) No upgraded Mac Pro
q) WhiteBook not dropped (this wasn't wanted but it was expected)
r) Only three things mentioned while only one being hardware
s) No release date of Snow Leopard
t) Not even an announcement of a new Mac mini
u) Not even an announcement of an updated iMac
v) No Apple TV update
w) All these rumors and hardly anything we were hoping for.
x) No iPhone tethering
y) No 28'' iMac
z) No Apple Media Server?

Woops. Did I just run out of letters? My bad....
DRM free music is cool but I think $1.29 per song is really expensive.
And the new iLife is amazing, but I don't have a Mac so it doesn't effect me; I would shortly get a Mac but since the Mac mini wasn't upgraded...

Nice summary. I agree with practically every point. :cool:

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The rumors are getting everyones hopes set high and then they get let down easily. It's like thinking you're getting a new car for Christmas but when you don't get one and yet you got all kinds of other stuff you just think Christmas sucked.

The Mini should have been discussed.
The white macbook will linger for a little longer... I think it's too soon to kill it and drop the cost of the unibody.
The iMac should have gotten the Nvidia chips.
There won't be an iphone nano (nor should there ever be) and we are a year away from a tablet mac at best. I love that apple can make us drool over their products but I want to see more reasonable prices... another $3k item doesn't do that.
Why do we need a 28" iMac? Just because?
Snow Leopard should have been discussed. No doubt. It should have been mentioned the whole keynote.
The iPhone will not tether thanks to AT&T not Apple.

These are "rumors" and not "facts." I think expectations should be based on Apple's own words. When they promise an in-ear earbud in October and it is released the last week of December, that is a problem. NOT, the rumors that fly here. It's very likely that the majority of the "expectations" based on rumors will happen very soon. I just see a lot of angry people here from what I read. I, personally, thought while reading about and watching the replay of the keynote, that man these are great upgrades to iLife and iWork. And, I also though wow, I wish I could have that battery in my MacBook! And after listening to and reading all of the complaints here over two months, I thought people would be ecstatic about the new software... and I though all of the professionals are vindicated for their anti-glare display options (which I called in NOVEMBER - it made sense to me).

I mistakenly thought the majority of the complaints should end now about Apple on MacRumors and the complaints are bigger than ever and more frequent than ever. I think is fair to assume we will see an Apple media event very soon releasing the desktops.

couto27

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
lisboa,portugal
hard work

Nice summary. I agree with practically every point. :cool:

one thing mac users as to recognize, even if they arent happy.

the hard work for everyone thats work directly in apple in the past year ,i never seen a year with so many new products and new updates from apple.

mbp 2008
iphone
ipod nano
app store
new mb
new mbp
new mbp 17
if everyone off you imagine the logistic of this company , invent, create, produce, delivery, and the final result is 100% positive , the consumer as to be happy and he is happy , the sales are reflecting that.
i review the video of the new macbook about 500 times , and im not getting tired to watch it , the words"we`ve been so fanatics in the tolerances of how we machine and build this products " mention by jony ive is exactly what a mac user thing and want.

-perfection-

aplause,

i hope 2009 will be better, i prefer to wait a couple months for a better product (macpro,mini mac, imac, snow leopard) and see a "fanatic" update.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
These are "rumors" and not "facts." I think expectations should be based on Apple's own words. When they promise an in-ear earbud in October and it is released the last week of December, that is a problem. NOT, the rumors that fly here. It's very likely that the majority of the "expectations" based on rumors will happen very soon. I just see a lot of angry people here from what I read. I, personally, thought while reading about and watching the replay of the keynote, that man these are great upgrades to iLife and iWork. And, I also though wow, I wish I could have that battery in my MacBook! And after listening to and reading all of the complaints here over two months, I thought people would be ecstatic about the new software... and I though all of the professionals are vindicated for their anti-glare display options (which I called in NOVEMBER - it made sense to me).

I mistakenly thought the majority of the complaints should end now about Apple on MacRumors and the complaints are bigger than ever and more frequent than ever. I think is fair to assume we will see an Apple media event very soon releasing the desktops.

well the thing is the mini should have been upgraded already _last year_ and not everybody uses iwork or ilife

personally i only use itunes .. oh that isn't part of ilife anymore .... and once every month iphoto for copying the photos over.. iMovie, iDVD and Garageband are essentially worthless to me since i have no videocamera or music instruments
and i don't use the iTunes store either
also i don't have an iPod or iPhone and don't plan on getting either one

can you come up with a reason why the mini (with it's gma950) which wasn't excactly 'great' or 'new hardware' when it was last updated, hasn't been upgraded for 1,5 years ? seriously i can't think of a reason why no bump was made at least with a x3100 chipset or with better cpus .. or at least a price drop
also the lack of new (connector) technologies which get constantly ignored by apple for years now: no eSata or HDMI for now apparent reason ... for a media pushing company it's bizarre ... and no blu-ray from the company calling out "the year of HD" years ago ?

Apple has pissed me off enough already ... great OS and great Apps for some but the hardware has become rubbish since apple didn't change their price 'ideas' or their update cycles with the intel switch

nanoboy

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
well the thing is the mini should have been upgraded already _last year_ and not everybody uses iwork or ilife

personally i only use itunes .. oh that isn't part of ilife anymore .... and once every month iphoto for copying the photos over.. iMovie, iDVD and Garageband are essentially worthless to me since i have no videocamera or music instruments

can you come up with a reason why the mini (with it's gma950) which wasn't excactly 'great' or 'new hardware' when it was last updated, hasn't been upgraded for 1,5 years ? seriously i can't think of a reason why no bump was made at least with a x3100 chipset or with better cpus .. or at least a price drop
also the lack of new (connector) technologies which get constantly ignored by apple for years now: no eSata or HDMI for now apparent reason ... for a media pushing company it's bizarre ... and no blu-ray from the company calling out "the year of HD" years ago ?

Apple has pissed me off enough already ... great OS and great Apps for some but the hardware has become rubbish since apple didn't change their price 'ideas' or their update cycles with the intel switch

Yep not everybody uses iWork or iLife, that's exactly what this MacWorld was about, to get people start using them! The new iPhoto, iMovie and Keynote are just marvellous, basically showed how they piece all the Apple technologies together! iWork and iLife really are extensions to differentiate Macs from Windows PC. As a lot of people on Vista now have little tweaks that make their Windows look like Mac (docks and expose in particular), it's important to highlight what's on the Mac that these copycats can't have.

Yes I agree that some Apple hardware being a bit out of touch, especially the Mac mini!!

Try out the new iMovie when you get your hands on the new iLife, even just with video clips from your camera phone, and make something fun, do something new. Why do less when you can do more! :apple:

All in all, am quite happy with this MacWorld. Maybe it's because i'm not looking to buy any new hardware :p

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Yep not everybody uses iWork or iLife, that's exactly what this MacWorld was about, to get people start using them! The new iPhoto, iMovie and Keynote are just marvellous, basically showed how they piece all the Apple technologies together! iWork and iLife really are extensions to differentiate Macs from Windows PC. As a lot of people on Vista now have little tweaks that make their Windows look like Mac (docks and expose in particular), it's important to highlight what's on the Mac that these copycats can't have.

Yes I agree that some Apple hardware being a bit out of touch, especially the Mac mini!!

Try out the new iMovie when you get your hands on the new iLife, even just with video clips from your camera phone, and make something fun, do something new. Why do less when you can do more! :apple:

All in all, am quite happy with this MacWorld. Maybe it's because i'm not looking to buy any new hardware :p

Well, EVERYBODY that buys a Mac gets a copy of iLife pre-installed. I think it's one of the main reasons people use the Mac instead of Windows. I mean Vista doesn't come with any cool apps and basically just comes with Internet Explorer. One of top reasons I switched. I think iLife is so cool. And now with all of the new features, it's amazing. So, I would be shocked if like the number of iLife users wasn't over 90% of Mac users. I would say Apple's releases of iLife will end up on 100% of ALL MAC SALES THIS YEAR. That is pretty big. It is affecting a large number of people... especially if they sell 9.7 million Macs this year. Plus, add the iWork users, which adds more value to the Mac. If they upgraded the MacMini, it would affect much fewer users. Would they sell 1 million MacMinis this year? The software updates are affecting more people. Like I said before, I will buy a mini or media server when released so the loss is the sale now versus the sale later. That is important for investors... but either way, Apples releases are affecting 100% of their Mac sales. Every Mac has iLife installed!

All I am saying, is I was really happy with iLife 09 and iWork 09. I wish the battery technology would be used in the MB, and I would go buy another one. Or, if was in the 15," it may give me a reason to upgrade to the Pro. I want extended battery life like that. I will not complain about it.

People are tough to please. I think all of the complainers better be taking their blood pressure medicine, their aspirin, and an apple per day (pun intended). Otherwise they are shortening their lives over a "glossy display" or a "lost firewire port."

If anyone should complain, it is the shareholders who need innovation to keep the stock prices up. Time Value of Money is important to the shareholders. They know that a new iMac, Mac Pro, Media Server, MacMini, tablet, netbook, or iPhone Nano would have meant more sales NOW!... not three months from now. But the shareholders should complain for the price of the stock not being higher because of delayed innovation. NOT because of a glossy display or missing firewire port.

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
iWork.com

I was fine with the announcements, with the assumption that Apple will in fact be releasing more new products later this year... However, the thing that bugged me was apple releasing iwork.com as another fee-based service. This should be part of MobileMe. I will bet that Apple won't put much effort into the file sharing capabilities of iDisk/MobileMe to convince me to sign up for iWork.com. I laugh when Schiller said some files are just too big to email. Apple already has iDisk with public file sharing to solve that problem! MobileMe is overpriced at $99 per year. Add iwork.com to it, allow syncing of iWork documents to multiple macs (along with everything else that MobileMe syncs), and Apple may have something.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
They (including me) were expecting updated iMacs and Mac Minis. There were countless rumors about those two products so it seemed a highly likely possibility

Maybe try to recognise that rumours are, well, rumours and not a promise of a product release?

a) No Mac mini refresh (main reason, IMO)
b) No Steve Jobs
c) No iMac update

As others have said, it's pretty clear they're waiting to get their hands on some stuff from Intel before updating the desktops. As for the Jobs thing, that's been done to death elsewhere. Next.

d) No Snow Leopard
e) No Mac Tablet device

Anyone expecting either of these to be released yesterday was smoking crack.

f) No news about PUSH for iPhone/iPod touch

That is well overdue, I'll grant you. Still, can you imagine the user backlash if they released it and it didn't work?

g) New MacBook Pro a non-removable battery.

Anyone who thinks they made this decision without solid numbers to back it up (something along the lines of "95% of 17" MBP users don't use a spare battery to swap out with their main one for extended working, 80% of those who do say it's a pain to carry the spare and wish the main battery lasted longer") is smoking crack.

h) Certain iTunes songs now $1.29
i) $.30 a song to upgrade your paid for songs to DRM free and better quality (really adds up).

I suspect your complaints need to be addressed to the record companies, not Apple.

j) Expected more for being Apple's final MacWorld.
w) All these rumors and hardly anything we were hoping for.

Whose fault is that? :confused:

k) No 64GB iPod touch
l) No 32GB iPhone
m) No new firmware for iPhone
n) No new firmware for iPod touch
x) No iPhone tethering
v) No Apple TV update

The recent pattern has been for these things to be released at their own special events.

o) No iPhone nano (even though I despise the idea).
q) WhiteBook not dropped (this wasn't wanted but it was expected)

You're annoyed because they didn't do something you didn't want? :confused:

p) No upgraded Mac Pro
r) Only three things mentioned while only one being hardware
t) Not even an announcement of a new Mac mini
u) Not even an announcement of an updated iMac
y) No 28'' iMac
z) No Apple Media Server?

See above re: Intel, release at own special events etc.

s) No release date of Snow Leopard

We're not even vaguely approaching the estimated release date for this. What did you expect? :confused:

Woops. Did I just run out of letters? My bad....

That'd be because you mentioned the iMacs 3 times, the Mac Mini twice and Snow Leopard twice. HTH.

nanoboy

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
That'd be because you mentioned the iMacs 3 times, the Mac Mini twice and Snow Leopard twice. HTH.

That's funny ;)

Maybe no Beta (or later versions or even release date) of Snow Leopard just so those guys working on Windows 7 at Redmond can't just put it into their photocopier? :cool:

Anyone else thinks that it's a good thing Windows 7 to be released first before Snow Leopard?

Yep iWork '09 rocks! Am pretty excited because I use iWork everyday (Pages and Keynote). Pretty pleased about iWork.com as well, so that I can share my documents with my other Windows-user colleagues at work. Especially with Keynote, they can see all the amazing effects online without me being forced to export it into .pdf or .ppt in order to email it to them.

Ok it is not a hardware announcement, but the iWork announcement alone is a huge announcement:
(1) Apple making continued efforts in improving their office suite (tapping into MS Office's pie).
(2) Reinforcing the statement that Mac is a fully capable platform for office work (with own native software), it's not just for photos and video and the artist type.
(3) iWork.com overcome issues (such as mine stated above) on sharing iWork documents (often with richer format and features compared to MS Office) with Windows users. With future developments in sight, if they have online editing as well, it's gonna be big (just right at the time when MS Office is announced to be going into the Cloud).

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)

true might be marvelous but still it's pointless to me .. why no option to remove it as a BTO ? i rather have a cheaper computer than apps i
a.) don't need
b.) don't want
c.) don't care about
bundled

a bit out of touch ? a bit out of touch ? thanks to apple refusing to update and to use desktop chips in any of their models i seriously can't take them serious anymore

"why do less when you can do more ?" what marketing :rolleyes:
i'm gonna remember that next time i'll install a game/software on my other computer because my more expensive and newer mac can't run it ... even if it was released for os x

TiggsPanther

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Hampshire/Surrey, UK

Which is, as you seem to understand, exactly what people are so annoyed about. And for anybody waiting to buy a (modern spec) Mac Mini, many of us since last Spring, it's annoying that they've released what we're not waiting for and also new software that we still are waiting for a new machine to run it on.

There've been enough refreshes of the other lines that nearly anybody who would have considered a non-Mini have already had the chance to do so. Anyone still waiting doesn't want alternatives.

I guess the other major frustration is that, despite it still only being rumours and not direct news from Apple, this is the first time in months that there have been Mini-related rumours that actually seem to have some basis in truth. All the reliable signs point to there being some sort of updated Mac Mini coming out soon.

1. Mac Mini in dire need of an overhaul, and not officially EOLd yet
  2. End of '08: Announcement that there would be no more new hardware before the end of the year. (Technically, nothing before the holidays. But effectively nothing before 2009.)
  3. "New Mac Mini" romours that actually seem to have some substance to them (references in the OS, possible SKUs, etc), as opposed to the usual wishlist-rumours.
  4. MWSF: Where new hardware can (and has been in the past) announced.
  5. Other of the rumours (Unibody 17" fixed-battery MBP, DRM-free iTunes) proving to have been true.

Put all these things together and, rumours or not, anybody waiting for an updated Mac Mini is of course likely to be disappointed - to put it mildly. They were the most realistic rumours we've seen for a long time. The Mini update, to many of us still waiting, feels like it should have happened last year. And back in November they said no new products before the holidays, pretty much forcing all hopes (whether wishlisting or all-but-confirmed) to MWSF.

It's just frustrating, especially for those of us who've been waiting this long.
Even more so (in a way) for those of us who could afford a MacBook or iMac if we so desired.

colickyboy

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2008
Maybe try to recognise that rumours are, well, rumours and not a promise of a product release?

Obviously. Nevertheless, right or wrong, they do raise expectations. Couple that with people who were holding credit card in hand ready to buy an expected refreshed desktop and you naturally get frustrated people when the grand finale is an update to the iTunes store and no refreshed desktops.

(Those same frustrated people will likely be elated whenever Apple does refresh them ...esp if it's on some unexpected day... but I digress.)

Yes, we all knew it was possible that nothing big would be announced since it was Jobsless, but then again, it was also possible something big would be announced since it was Apple's last MacWorld.

As for the OP, who urged people to "get the anti-glare MBP" in the thread heading, I don't have $3000 to spend on a laptop...8-hr battery or not...and I imagine many others don't either.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico

As others have said, it's pretty clear they're waiting to get their hands on some stuff from Intel before updating the desktops. As for the Jobs thing, that's been done to death elsewhere. Next.

That is well overdue, I'll grant you. Still, can you imagine the user backlash if they released it and it didn't work?

Anyone who thinks they made this decision without solid numbers to back it up (something along the lines of "95% of 17" MBP users don't use a spare battery to swap out with their main one for extended working, 80% of those who do say it's a pain to carry the spare and wish the main battery lasted longer") is smoking crack.

I suspect your complaints need to be addressed to the record companies, not Apple.

The recent pattern has been for these things to be released at their own special events.

We're not even vaguely approaching the estimated release date for this. What did you expect? :confused:

Dude, did you actually think I expected and wanted all of that stuff.
I was just stated what was expected to be released.

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
without spending too much time on this.......

32 bit = Core Duo (the VERY first intel macs)
64 bit = Core 2 Duo (all current macs, even the mac mini)

there were sooooo many leaks about the mac mini, it was a foregone conclusion that it would be there.

same with the iphone nano. Case manufacturers (who had successfully leaked the iphone 3g, ipod fatty, etc) were convinced. There's even a (working?) iphone nano clone being sold in the streets of Asia.

I am convinced that the quad core iMac will be released with Snow Leopard debuts. The imac is VERY important to them. remember that the FIRST intel mac was the iMac DESPITE the fact that it was just updated 2-3 months prior? that must've pissed lots of people off.

but iphoto with face recognition and geotagging? Wowweee, Wow, Wow! (imagine Christopher Walken saying that last expression) :)

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
No notebooks under 13.3" for those who want an ultra portable. Whitebook costs 1k for a notebook that is over a year old. $599 for a desktop that is close to 2 years old. iMac is in need of some love to. Macworld was their time to address these issues instead everyone is left waiting while the hits keep on coming from companies like Asus

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

Great POST! Thanks.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
No notebooks under 13.3" for those who want an ultra portable. Whitebook costs 1k for a notebook that is over a year old. $599 for a desktop that is close to 2 years old. iMac is in need of some love to. Macworld was their time to address these issues instead everyone is left waiting while the hits keep on coming from companies like Asus

Apple never told us they PLANNED to release these at MacWorld. With the hardware stuff from Intel coming, and all of the "rumors" it will definitely be soon. Apple is getting away from MacWorld to release the stuff on their own timetables... I think the complaints would be justified if it were Apple Fools Day and Apple sent out invitations to the media that said, "And now we run Snow Leopard on the desktops!"

Really, in the future Apple will probably update every four months or so. I could see one special media event once per year for the iPods, once per year for the iPhone, and once per year for the Macs. And probably two other releases by press release. That would make sense to me...

Eliminating the "requirements" of releasing on trade show deadlines, they can release when products are ready. They can get products ready based on supplier releases of items like CPUs, graphics and etc. If Apple didn't have MacWorld to worry about, nobody would have expected it all this week. Everyone would have expected it soon... and they could be in a week, three weeks, or the beginning of March.

And, I seriously think Steve wants to show us Snow Leopard and the desktops. I think we will all be very pleasantly surprised by the desktop updates. I personally am still hopeful for MacMini, Media Server, Netbook, iMac, Mac Pro, and even a tablet. Not that I will buy all, but I think Apple products are pretty special.

I just think we have a lot to be thankful for, at least there is an Apple. Can you imagine a world where we all had to use Windows? Dell, HP, and Sony?

Find it hard to believe are nearly as many/or more negatives than positives about the released items. Seriously, taking out frustrations on what was released because you didn't get what you wanted is senseless!

Horst

Jan 10, 2006
Us pathetic moaners and whiners have arguably made the matte option for the 17" happen. :rolleyes:

Now the OP and the likes might not need it, loves his glossy screens, never uses Firewire, and considers iPhoto great software .
Fair enough.

He's not in the market for an ultraportable, digs his iPhone, even pays for online synching and whatnot.

He doesn't think it's fair to put a little pressure on the company he gets his 10+k computing equipment from, and doesn't care if another 10/20/30+k of related equipment needs adapters or stops being compatible with part of the offerings.
Good for him.

He puts quotation marks around professionals, because he can't understand their needs, workflows and equipment setups, and calls valid arguments whining .

Even worse, he might be a "professional" himself , doing some web design or wedding photography...

Whatever... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.