Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
dpaanlka said:
I'm sure I'm not the only one either. It doesn't *need* to be changed.

I agee. It doesn't need to be changed. It's worked just fine since the dawn of the Mac GUI, it's just switchers who cannot cope with change. :rolleyes:

Personally it bugs me in Windows when I have to hover over the corner of a window and fiddle with the mouse position until it turns into the "proper" 'resize the corner' icon. But I don't bitch about it.. oh wait..

johnq22

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
I predict your petition will be ignored by Apple.

Probably, but we won't know 'til we try and I'm curious to see just how many people feel the same way. As focussed as Apple is on usability, this just seems glaring to me.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I agee. It doesn't need to be changed. It's worked just fine since the dawn of the Mac GUI, it's just switchers who cannot cope with change. :rolleyes:

Personally it bugs me in Windows when I have to hover over the corner of a window and fiddle with the mouse position until it turns into the "proper" 'resize the corner' icon. But I don't bitch about it.. oh wait..

Same here, sometimes I go and want to move a window and I end up decreasing it's height in Windows :-(

johnq22

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
My preference for being able to resize windows from the edges pre-dates Windows and Mac OS - Most window managers in X11 allowed for resize from the borders in 1987. Credit probably goes to Xerox Parc

I do not see this as a Windows vs. Mac issue. It's a "I just did a %N to get a new window and now I have to move it up 20 pixels so that I can reach the lower right corner so that I can resize it"-issue. That shouldn't be necessary.

I don't understand the that's-the-way-it's-always-been-it's-fine-for-me-so-your-opinion-doesn't-count attitude. These discussions start from people who would like to see it change, so clearly there is a percentage of people who would like to see the feature added.

johnq22

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Same here, sometimes I go and want to move a window and I end up decreasing it's height in Windows :-(

I would never suggest that Windows is a model of usability. But, that doesn't mean Apple can't improve their interface.

And I do (optionally) having window frames as an improvement, regardless of the "way it's always been". Heck - even having a keyboard shortcut to put the window in resize mode would make sense and be difficult to argue with.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Every app ever written for Mac OS has been designed to have the resize button only on the lower right hand side.
Not Skitch FYI.

On a small MB screen, I often want to watch video on one part and browse on the other side, but when I resize one, I have to move the other, resize and drag. Its an extra two steps. I'm all for minimalism, but sometimes this system is just irritating.

rahb

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
Dunlop, ACT, Australia
A desirable, and sometimes necessary, feature

As this thread and the seven thousand others like it show, it is not "glaring" because it is far from being universally accepted as a problem - to the contrary, many people prefer it that way.

Hmmm; a long, long, time ago, in a galaxy far away, I used to "prefer" Windows, because I was not familiar with Mac OS, and also because I didn't know what I was missing. Finally, about two years ago, I switched, and I'm loving it! Does that mean my preference back then was "right"? Do I have to go back to the dark side? Oh Noooo! Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope!

However, to get back on topic... I have found the restriction of resize capability a nuisance sometimes, but a trivial issue - until now.

Since upgrading my laptop to Leopard, Google Earth launches in a window which significantly exceeds my screen real estate. I *cannot* move the window up the screen (to get to the resize hook) as it is already at the top. If I could just click & hold on the top of the title bar, then drag down to resize, all would be well - but this is not possible, apparently because "many people prefer it that way". Sigh.

Sorry, dpaanika, but using your argument, Apple should (say) delete the "Software update" option in the Apple menu, because it is already in System Preferences and there shouldn't be multiple ways to do it.

I have to agree with the others; please add this capability so that some of us can use it when we wish, in a way that is unobtrusive to the rest. It has got me out of trouble a number of times on my Ubuntu box (and also back in those dark Windows days) and I believe it is a real usability issue.

Stop Press:
Of course, I have only just remembered that the 'little green button' is actually 'Full Screen' and NOT 'Maximise' as in Windows. This, naturally, fixes the problem. I completely forgot, as I don't think I have needed to use it since I first switched, and forgot about the difference. Yet another great little Mac feature - albeit trivial - over Windows. I seem to recall having to use "Maximise' frequently in Windows; have never seemed to need it in OS X!

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
will some ppl ever admit any shortcomings of any apple product? Common sense doesn't have to be "windows users' habit", there is factual reason behind it.

IT IS EASIER!

JNB

macrumors 604
What's interesting is that I've used MS & Apple OS's (and many others I've lost track of) since the mid-70's, and never seemed to have a problem with any of it. MS does their thing one way, Apple another. Ya' just gotta learn to do it both ways. Commodore, Amiga, Tandy, Kaypro all had their OS "method," and many of us managed to accommodate that into our life. There is no "standard," just as there's no rule for where gauges go on the dashboard, or which switch turns on the windshield wipers, or how you're TV remote works.

You either learn how to use it & move on, or find something else, period. Adapt or die. It's called evolution in action.

So much for the adaptive skills of Gen X (or Y, or i, whatever). Either that or the entitlement threshold of Boomers is much, much higher... :p

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
when you live in a world of "i"-gocentric, and ask users to accommodate OS makers? I think thats the wrong direction.

Again, since when "just work" becomes "please accommodate inconvenience"?

Its not about "one way or another", its about which is easier. and about how many people care about the difference.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
will some ppl ever admit any shortcomings of any apple product? Common sense doesn't have to be "windows users' habit", there is factual reason behind it.

IT IS EASIER!

when you live in a world of "i"-gocentric, and ask users to accommodate OS makers? I think thats the wrong direction.

Again, since when "just work" becomes "please accommodate inconvenience"?

Its not about "one way or another", its about which is easier. and about how many people care about the difference.

When will some people stop ignoring the good valid reasons people give to have it the way it is and pretend everybody defending Apple is doing so just for the sake of being anti-Windows. Your way is not "easier" and there have been plenty of threads on this subject and plenty of people who want it the way it is and have explained why in great detail.

And when will sum ppl lrn to spll and captlze stff and spk englsh corrctly.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
images

:p

Sorry, I had to. :p :eek:

I'm sure I'm not the only one either. It doesn't *need* to be changed.
Indeed. I agree with you. I'd like my corner to remain as is (and my edges left untouched thank you very much).

But...does it hurt to incorporate this "minor" thing ?
Yes. If you're used to it, then it can really mess you up when you least expect it.
They already did for iTunes.

:confused: I know this is an old thread, but my iTunes only has one corner for changing window sizes.
I was just mad because I am working with several open windows at the same time (copying and pasting stuff) and I had to resize the one on the right corner. :p
Exposé is your friend. :)
Please do enlighten me.
(Again, I know this is an old thread)

I like two things about having the corner the way it is at the moment:

1. No accidental resizing: I know it doesn't happen very often in Windows, but it has happened to me a handful of times. When I least expect it, an accidental click and drag will make the whole window change sizes.

2. It looks nice when you have "seamless" windows.
20080220-fwm6abfy6d7wabjkjjsdekje2b.jpg

I know that isn't the strongest reason, but it is part of OS X's beauty no?
And look what I found! A whiny Mac user complaining about this very same thing back waaaaaaay back in April 2003! :eek: ;)

Yeah, he's a real complainer. ;)You know you're awesome Doc
:D

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
What CalBoy said. I wouldn't mind an extra resize corner too much on the lower left-hand corner, as long as I could turn it off if it started to bug me too much. But I hate hate hate Windows' ugly resize borders. The seamlessness of OS X is great.

Interestingly, I find it very much IS a matter of habit than what is "actually" easier. I recently installed Ubuntu on my old Dell to give to a friend of mine, and every time I had to resize a Window, I used the lower right-hand corner just where it is on my Mac. I never ended up using any other corner, and I found it more difficult to get my mouse right where it had to be to turn into the "resize" cursor than on my Mac. As much as I like Linux, I was relieved to return to my MacBook, because I just find the OS X way of doing everything much easier.

snakedoctor

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
What's interesting is that I've used MS & Apple OS's (and many others I've lost track of) since the mid-70's, and never seemed to have a problem with any of it. MS does their thing one way, Apple another. Ya' just gotta learn to do it both ways. Commodore, Amiga, Tandy, Kaypro all had their OS "method," and many of us managed to accommodate that into our life. There is no "standard," just as there's no rule for where gauges go on the dashboard, or which switch turns on the windshield wipers, or how you're TV remote works.

You either learn how to use it & move on, or find something else, period. Adapt or die. It's called evolution in action.

So much for the adaptive skills of Gen X (or Y, or i, whatever). Either that or the entitlement threshold of Boomers is much, much higher... :p

I converted to Mac last year after being with Windows since 3.0. DOS 3.3 - 6.0 before that.

The one thing I dont like about Apple is the attitude of fans like the one above. "Adapt or die" or "It's called evolution in action"????

Its called logic. Anytime you can shorten the process to make things easier THAT is evolution when it comes to computers. I dont care if you want it or not the fact that something takes 2 steps instead of 3 is BLACK AND WHITE LOGIC.

Apple should make it an option, turn it ON or OFF in system preferences. That would be a simple solution to make the X-Windows users/logical people and the stuck in the mudd "Adapt or die" baby booming Apple fanatics happy. The fact that Apple die hards cant admit its easier (not wether they like it or not) plays right into the stereotype that turns off so many people to the Apple products.

Just make it option.

While they are at it how about "cut and paste" in Finder? Yes another Windows/UNIX/Linux/every other OS but OS X FEATURE that makes things easier. You see cut/paste is 2 steps and copy/paste/delete is 3 steps if that LOGIC failed you.

Again make it option. Turn it off if you are a arrogant, Apple can do no wrong, come up with moronic arguments to why its "better", put people down for suggesting otherwise type of user.

There are a few other things from other OS'es that would makes things easier by why waste my breath.

I love OS X. I love my little black Macbook but I would love it a lot if Apple diehards would check the asinine attitude at the door.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
When will some people stop ignoring the good valid reasons people give to have it the way it is and pretend everybody defending Apple is doing so just for the sake of being anti-Windows. Your way is not "easier" and there have been plenty of threads on this subject and plenty of people who want it the way it is and have explained why in great detail.

And when will sum ppl lrn to spll and captlze stff and spk englsh corrctly.

its black and white common sense, shorter distance of moving mice. flexible purpose of resizing width/height/both. Its that simple common logic.

and take a look at your logic? "because I like it this way", please, thats not reasoning, thats personal preference, bearing no value for general users.

JNB

macrumors 604
And what I don't care for is someone referring to me and using the terms fanatic, arrogant, moronic, and disliking my "attitude" when they have no ability to perceive it. In the future, please avoid the ad hominem commentary. It tends to debase the value of the discussion, and can lead to no good end. The final comments are tongue-in-cheek (note the :p), and if you read more carefully (or actually knew me a little) before going off half-cocked that would have been painfully apparent.

Where did I say I was an Apple "fan?" I didn't, I'm an Apple user, and a Windows user, and an HP-UX user, and on & on. I've learned a long time ago (read my post again) that OS developers are going to do what they're going to do. Your individual perception (or that of a few dozen forum readers) of "easy" is not of interest to them. That's not arrogance, either, and either you should already know that and are being disingenuous, or you need to learn about mass-market product development.

What you call logic is again just perception & preference. Obviously, a lot of well-paid developers & human interface engineers in Cupertino disagree. There's a lot I would prefer my OS do "better", but I am also aware that it's just that-- preference. I have three choices: Piss & moan, move to another OS, or just adapt to it and get on with my work. I choose adapt.

Welcome to MR! :)

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
What you call logic is again just perception & preference. Obviously, a lot of well-paid developers & human interface engineers in Cupertino disagree.

there are even more well-paid developers and human interface engineers in Seattle disagree with you on this issue as well.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007

There is NO "good valid reasons" for there to be no solution to the problem described below. Apple should in fact fix this shortcoming. It has nothing to do with "only switchers care". It's bad UI practice to make it impossible to resize a window in some cases (you might want to actually read and think about the quote below) and require 3 steps to do something you can do in 1 step in other cases.

Since upgrading my laptop to Leopard, Google Earth launches in a window which significantly exceeds my screen real estate. I *cannot* move the window up the screen (to get to the resize hook) as it is already at the top. If I could just click & hold on the top of the title bar, then drag down to resize, all would be well - but this is not possible, apparently because "many people prefer it that way". Sigh.

JNB

macrumors 604
there are even more well-paid developers and human interface engineers in Seattle disagree with you on this issue as well.

Proving my point exactly. I was actually going to add something to that effect, but my coffee hadn't kicked in yet and the sentence sounded like I was drunk. :D

I think that it highlights the differences of opinion about interface design, competitive positioning of feature sets, and "design by committee." My bottom line is that until one either designs their own OS or can directly influence those that do, our sole remaining option is to just live with it. Life's too short to drive up blood pressure over such a relatively minor thing, particularly when there are so many that would like it to do something else.

OS's aren't "100%" products, they're about 85% at best in meeting the needs of all users. I guess I'm just one of the ones happy where it's at, feeling no compelling need for anything beyond what it is. Same with Windows, I can take it as it is. Well, XP, anyway. ;)

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Apple should in fact fix this shortcoming.

I say Google should fix that problem. Mac developers should be aware by now that you can't resize a window from the title bar. You should think about what you're saying...

"Google Earth fudges up, Apple should fix it."

I'll take lower right corner resizing over hideous borders all around every window any day. I've never had a problem or felt I was suffering resizing this way. And I've used Windows plenty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.