Why did you get the 16GB?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dranakin, Jul 27, 2008.

1. dranakin macrumors 6502

2. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

3. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I love having podcasts on my iPhone, I love having many songs on my iPhone, and I love having a few football games on my iPhone.

I also have several big email accounts

I need as much space as possible

4. pflau macrumors 6502

My last iPhone was 8GB. If I was gonna get a new one might as well upgrade to a 16GB. And there is no telling how big those third party apps might get or how many I will end up installing.

5. dranakin thread starter macrumors 6502

They've told me that too, but I realized that they're trying to keep their sales numbers up. Call them out on it.

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I just wanted to be safe rather than sorry. Since you can't expand the memory, why not spend the extra $100 to get the most space possible. It's better than having to buy a whole new phone because you end up putting more songs, videos, etc. on it than you thought you would.

Another reason one might get the 16GB is for the white. Not my cup o' tea but to each his own.

7. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Try it and keep us posted please. I would like to know, just haven't had reason to yet.

8. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Yeah, I was mad that the ATT store that I got my iphone from only had 8gb left (primarily because of all of the hype for the 16gb) but am now very happy with my decision to get the 8gb instead. I've found that I only actually use about 10% of the stuff stored on my iphone/ipods and the rest is just their because I think I'll want it but never really put it to use.
    Also I really dont buy the theory "its better to have it to be safe" because thats what a computer is for. its my external hard drive for the iphone if you will.

9. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Because I need space for music, pictures and for all those apps I'm going to be installing.

10. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

I have every song I want on my phone...that's 2.91GB
    I have several Firefly, Family Guy, and Stargate SG-1 Episodes as well as several of my favorite movies ripped from DVD. All the videos amount to 5.07GB.
    I have about 500MB in apps.
    I have 44MB in photos (mostly iPhone wallpapers I switch between).

Honestly I wish the iPhone had more like 100GB. I mean...why not have access to all the movies you want to watch...they're only like 500MB a piece (if you encode them at the best bitrate). If it were much faster to transfer large files like movies to my iPhone then I might keep fewer movies on it...but it takes several minutes for each file, so I'd much rather just leave it on there.

Like my computer I loving having more than enough space rather than just enough.

I have like 600GB of stuff on my computer and about 1.2TB of storage space amongst all my drives.

11. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

I got the 16GB version because I had a 4GB iPhone before and I put some songs and a couple videos but it filled up pretty quickly. I had my phone stolen in February and I decided to wait for the 3G. It came in 8 and 16GB so why not? More space the better--you never know when you're going to be stuck on a long car, plane ride and wish you had a lot of entertainment at your fingertips :)

12. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

exactly my point. While waiting in line for the iPhone all I could do was listen to mp3's and watch the city fly by (was in downtown Chicago)...wish I had an original iPhone while I was waiting..I would have watch movies during those times. 5.5 hours total wait time.

13. optV macrumors newbie

Ah.. firefly. That show had potential, its a shame that it was cut short. The movie added closure, but I would've preferred more episodes.

BTW: I got my 16GB primarily for music, apps and the 5 email accounts that I will be using with it

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Ditto minus the stolen part and i didn't upgrade to the 3G model but rather a 16GB version of the EDGE model.

It'll also add to your resale value when the time comes to put it on ebay in prep for iPhone 3

15. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

I started watching it when it first aired on Sci-Fi...I instantly fell in love with it only to find out midway through the run that it was a cancelled show from Fox. After that I was hoping they would continue the show like they did with Stargate...sadly they did not.

16. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Cause it was white and would get here quicker. :eek:

Because I carry my iPod 24/7, I actually don't use the iPhone's iPod portion much, so storage isn't really an issue for me.

On the plus side, it'll help resale value, and it matches the rest of my Apple gear. :p

17. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

could have probably gotten away with an 8 - but I like having that option in case some big apps come out, I want to put movies on, etc. Video takes up a ton of space.

18. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

19. dubels macrumors 6502

I can't speak for the Apple Store but if you look closely at the back of a AT&T receipt and even the posted company policy in the store it mentions that Apple products and Apple products alone have a 10% restocking fee within 30-days. After 30-days your stuck with the product. Since none of the other phones have a restocking fee at AT&T and am assuming its an Apple thing.

BTW I am going from a 4GB 1st generation to a 16gb 3g. I constantly ran out of space on the 4GB. I wish I spent the extra $100 the first time to get the 8gb.

20. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Bigger is better. Because I have 17 GB of music and I can get far more of my songs on there. I also have plenty of space for photos, which take up about 3GB on my phone (I have limited my music playlist to 9GB but would have ideally liked a 32GB model so I could have put everything on).

I don't really understand why there is a need to carry a separate iPod when you have an iPhone. The iPhone IS an iPod!!! :confused::eek:

Remember that 8GB is really only 7GB once you've covered off the software already installed and the capacity marketing black hole which means that 8 is really only 7.4. :rolleyes:

Plus what's $100 after a couple of nights at the pub?! ;) (It costs $100 equivalent over here just to fill the car with petrol).

21. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If one isn't going to load it up with a ton of music or some movies, the 8GB is fine. Plenty of room for tons of applications and photos.

Personally, I can't spare the battery life to playing music and video, so I tote along a Nano when I need those.

22. jakeacc macrumors regular

I purchased the 16 GB on Friday. I now have 8 GBs left. (after adding my favorite music albums, 12 apps, all my contacts, about 50 MBs of photos, and some of my favorite videos. If I had purchased the 8 GB, I would have already maxed out the space.

Most of the space went to my mp3s. On my computer, I have about 80 GB and have made iTunes playlists of my favorite stuff. To save space on my iPhone, I COULD have just put a few songs on and each time I sync, put different music. But, there have been so many times when I'm walking down the sidewalk or on the bus and want to listen to a particular song. I can't sync my iPhone to my computer when I'm not at home, so the more songs that I can put on it, the better.

23. phannon666 macrumors regular

The main reason I wanted the iPhone was as an all-in-one device, specifically an iPod and phone, so I don't have to carry both. I have 8GB of music and want to carry all of it, so an 8GB one would have been pretty much useless. 16GB however is pleanty for me:cool:

24. whiteshadoww macrumors regular

I had the 8G for 10 days and returned it. I'm on the wait list in Geneva, Switzerland for the 16G. I signed up for the 16 G on 8 July and hope to get the call this week. It has SUCKED to go back to the HTC Touch Cruise.

I want more space for movie rentals (for business trips) and (I hope) GPS maps for Europe and N. America which will probably take up 2-3 G.

25. LinMac macrumors 65816

Resale value. My first generation 8GB iPhone seems to be worth more than the 4GB so I used the same logic when buying this iPhone.

I use all the space so no loss, but still I try to keep resale value in mind considering there might be another iPhone next year.