Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pr0230

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I did because:

Because : ITs the first year... While Apple has made tablets since the beginning of time, this has been a Generation 1 for apple... I wanted to wait for at least 6 months to hear all the problems... And the problems tell me to wait for the second version...

so what are the issues:

Charging needs to be greatly improved... I've seen too many dead iPP's that have the screen on 100%... This is a flaw and should be addressed.The charging is too slow and cannot keep up to an IPP running with the screen at 100%...
Resolution is the SAME as what we have had for 2 years... I want ULTRA HD... I have an iPad 4 withe retina display... Great!!! I want better...

Apple is the master of desire, they give you JUST enough so you buy and want MORE... I'll take the second pass on the IPP...

Let the Debate begin !!!

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
Resolution is the SAME as what we have had for 2 years... I want ULTRA HD... I have an iPad 4 withe retina display... Great!!! I want better...
RE: resolution
resolution is higher on ipad pro -- 2732 x 2048 (but ppi is the same at 264 ppi); previous ipads are 2,048 x 1,536

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
I'm personally waiting until the functionality can be increased in regard to App Dev - Charging would be a pain but this wouldn't be a main machine for me so I don't mind too much. Better resolution would be nice but I doubt that will come the second time around.

Price. Longer you wait the cheaper it will become, and then maybe I'll settle for what it is now.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I waited two months while I assembled the $.

As with all of my purchases, I get what I need when I need it and I get the best I can afford. I enjoy using the current state of the technology. If and when there is an upgrade, I evaluate my needs to see if an upgrade makes sense. I don't waste my time trying to divine when there might be a newer version. And I know I can always sell my current model if I change my mind (although I prefer to give mine away).

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I did because:

Because : ITs the first year... While Apple has made tablets since the beginning of time, this has been a Generation 1 for apple... I wanted to wait for at least 6 months to hear all the problems... And the problems tell me to wait for the second version...

so what are the issues:

Charging needs to be greatly improved... I've seen too many dead iPP's that have the screen on 100%... This is a flaw and should be addressed.The charging is too slow and cannot keep up to an IPP running with the screen at 100%...

Apple is the master of desire, they give you JUST enough so you buy and want MORE... I'll take the second pass on the IPP...

Let the Debate begin !!!

Reasons why I continue to wait (I held off buying an Air 2 until the Pro was announced, then went with the Air 2):
  • Better keyboard cover/case options
  • Support for mice/trackpad
  • Increased support of apps for the iPP

I just said that...
FYI pixel density is different than screen resolution.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
Purchased mine on release and am over the moon with mine. Zero charging issues for me :). Not worried about lack of mouse (even though i'd like one) as this was never intended anyway. The screen is sooooo good. I defy anyone to seriously critise it for what it is is on the size slate its on. 3d touch? Glad it isnt.

After initial purchase, my only concerns -

Ipp apps. Or lack of them. Really really REALLY dissapointed in the slow speed devs are jumping on board. I mean, even facebook hasnt yet upgraded. I guess it will happen, just expected it sooner.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I just got one this past weekend. I simply waited until I was sure I even needed it and was able to get it without paying tax at the military exchange. Turns out I don't need it (I have an Air 2) but I still like it for watching video and surfing the web. I also found a good use for it at work. So basically I'm keeping both the Air 2 and the IPP. Each serves a purpose. My workflow at work is also a bit better.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Ipp apps. Or lack of them. Really really REALLY dissapointed in the slow speed devs are jumping on board.
Its still early. But the people predicting a wave of pro apps were obviously wrong. The ipad pro and pencil are interesting products nonetheless

I will likely wait out the year to see what Apple does next and whether Microsoft can debug this years Surface products. I am somewhat disappointed by the 2015 tech cycle overall

Last edited:
Reactions: bhodinut and sracer

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
I thought the whole reasoning behind calling these screens "retina" displays was that the human retina cannot differentiate between pixels once the pixels are this small and close together. So if that is the case, then what is the point of having a higher resolution? Your eyes cannot see the difference, and all it will do is put more stress on your video processor which will cause the iPad to run slower and the battery will run down faster.

Reactions: shox2k2

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
I waited for capital expenditure approval from the Chancellor of the Exchequer, which happened earlier this month. Beautiful machine, worth the waiting for.

Reactions: Hellenek

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
I did because:

so what are the issues:

Let the Debate begin !!!

I absolutely agree with you about the charging. I bought a surface 3 (not pro 3) rather than waiting on the Surface Pro 4 because I needed windows for certain things and I would rather have a dedicated windows device. The Surface 3 uses a micro usb charger and it charges SO SLOW. It literally takes 3-4 hours to charge when the device is off and like 7-8 hours when the device is on.

I will not buy another device that charges that slow let alone one that loses charge while attached to the power outlet. What in the world was Apple thinking not using a USB C connection.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

shox2k2

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Wichita, KS
I wanted to be able to buy in store or get a good deal on craigslist. Stock is becoming regular at my local best buy but no pencils yet. And I did find a good deal on craigslist. If I can get him to drop his price a little lower then I'll bite on that. I just have a 3rd gen iPad. Its starting to slow down and has a cracked screen. I figure the pro can last 3-4 years until its time to get a new one.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
I did _not_ wait.

Since it's little more than a bigger iPad with slightly different configuration, I bought mine upon its release. I'm finding it useful but not essential.

The laptop form factor is ideal for me, so my iPads are just for casual content consumption.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I was a little apprehensive about the size. But once I played with a store model, I knew I wanted it. Got one right after Thanksgiving, and have been enjoying it since.

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
I didn't wait. Well, I only waited for the color and memory size of my choice to be available. I bought one, returned it, and bought it again. I didn't realize that I really like it until I bought it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.