Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I absolutely agree with you about the charging. I bought a surface 3 (not pro 3) rather than waiting on the Surface Pro 4 because I needed windows for certain things and I would rather have a dedicated windows device. The Surface 3 uses a micro usb charger and it charges SO SLOW. It literally takes 3-4 hours to charge when the device is off and like 7-8 hours when the device is on.

I will not buy another device that charges that slow let alone one that loses charge while attached to the power outlet. What in the world was Apple thinking not using a USB C connection.

No Issues with the Pro charging ONCE I realised that the iPad charger, which I was previously using to charge my iPad Air 2 was a 10W unit and then swapped it out for the 12W unit. Now the Pro charges much faster even when in use.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
I didn't wait. Reason being I don't base purchase on fantasized about features but rather what features are available now. I don't sit there with a stop watch to compare Touch ID. Not really interested in searching for pixels. I do this weird thing, I use the device.

malandra

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2003
I didn't wait because I don't get any pleasure in chasing new tech. My old iPad cracked, I needed a new one, and it isn't worth waiting 3 months for a price drop or 12-18 months for a new model. Total waste of my time.

Now, in case I want to upgrade when there's a new model, I did settle on the 32GB version. I will lose the least money on a trade in that way. Or I'll keep it for years and give it to my kids in a bulletproof case.

In any case, owning a device like this is obviously a luxury, not a necessity. But time and money are both commodities. If I try the value the hours I might spend arguing about waiting on an online forum instead of buying the iPad and getting to work, I am always going to come out on top by buying what I need now, spending my time using and enjoying it, and worrying about the next best thing later.

emembee

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
I am waiting most because of cost and already having a mini2 cannot see how to use both, but I guess the mini will just be a portable device and I can use pro at all other times. Also unable to decide on model, will 32g be enough (have airstash on order for extra space) or should I max out with cellular, never know when wifi is not available. So the waiting is nearly over, just a few extra things to consider then it will mostly replace my mac (but not totally). OSX is far too complex and crashes too often, I mean how come I have over a million files, what are they doing ...

For me, the IPP is the obvious next choice and I can only hope devs and apple get moving on making it so.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
I am not one of those people who just HAS to have a file system, and I am totally fine with working in iOS. I use my iPhone and iPad FAR more than I use my Mac. I would even be ok with the mouse/trackpad going away.

But until the apps catch up and the iPad Pro is running its own version of iOS, I can't move fully from OSX to iOS as my working environment. I just can't. And I'm not asking for some silly iOS/OSX laptop hybrid like some people seem to want. What I'm asking for is either a version of iOS made just for the iPad Pro, or an optimization of iOS on the iPad Pro that removes all the pain points that I currently have.

Until that happens, I simply can't give up OSX. There would be too many uncomfortable workarounds and too many things I just straight up can't do in iOS.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

fisherman188

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
RE: resolution
resolution is higher on ipad pro -- 2732 x 2048 (but ppi is the same at 264 ppi); previous ipads are 2,048 x 1,536

Actually, resolution refers to pixels per inch or PPI because how densely the pixels are packed (this is what makes something look sharper), affects the resolving power. The 2732 x 2048 number is actually considered the pixel dimensions. Resolution is the ability to resolve details, more tightly packed pixels represent higher resolution. You only have the conception that "Number x Number" means resolution because that's what advertising pushes these days. It's kind of like how marketing labels "LED backlit LCD screens" as "LED TVs" when it fact it was still the same liquid crystal display we had for years as the display technology.

Reactions: MirekEl

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I am not one of those people who just HAS to have a file system, and I am totally fine with working in iOS. I use my iPhone and iPad FAR more than I use my Mac. I would even be ok with the mouse/trackpad going away.

But until the apps catch up and the iPad Pro is running its own version of iOS, I can't move fully from OSX to iOS as my working environment. I just can't. And I'm not asking for some silly iOS/OSX laptop hybrid like some people seem to want. What I'm asking for is either a version of iOS made just for the iPad Pro, or an optimization of iOS on the iPad Pro that removes all the pain points that I currently have.

Until that happens, I simply can't give up OSX. There would be too many uncomfortable workarounds and too many things I just straight up can't do in iOS.

So did you buy the iPad Pro, or are you waiting? We aren't discussing whether the iPP can completely replace OS X, just whether you bought the iPP or are still waiting.

I mean, I stil have my iMac, and I use it for a few things I still can't do on the iPad, but I'm also enjoying my iPP. It's going to replace my MBA for sure. :D

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I laugh when I read that some people waiting for the iPad Pro to be cheaper.

When the iPad Pro 2 does come out, whether this year or 2017 (my money is on the latter), it won't be cheaper.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
So did you buy the iPad Pro, or are you waiting? We aren't discussing whether the iPP can completely replace OS X, just whether you bought the iPP or are still waiting.

I mean, I stil have my iMac, and I use it for a few things I still can't do on the iPad, but I'm also enjoying my iPP. It's going to replace my MBA for sure. :D
I have not bought an iPad Pro......yet. I really do want one, but until I can use that INSTEAD of my rMBP 100% of the time, I can't justify it. I don't need an iPad mini AND a laptop AND a laptop sized iPad.

That being said, I'd be willing to bet that my next "laptop" after this rMBP serves its purpose will be an iPad Pro.

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
I'm waiting because I already have an Air 2. I don't do anything too serious on it - the vast majority of my usage is Safari and some video watching. All I'd really be gaining with the Pro is the screen size. I have no use for the Pencil or Smart Keyboard. While I do think I'd love the humongous screen of the Pro I just can't see spending the money for it right now. Maybe by the time the Pro 2 comes out...

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
No Issues with the Pro charging ONCE I realised that the iPad charger, which I was previously using to charge my iPad Air 2 was a 10W unit and then swapped it out for the 12W unit. Now the Pro charges much faster even when in use.

Your personal anecdotal experience of charging "much faster" does not change the fact that the iPad Pro does not charge when on 100% brightness while on the charger and still takes a long time to charge overall. Sorry, not sorry.

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
Speaking of 100% brightness -- i was playing around with the setting just to see how bright it got, so i cranked it all the way up...in a dark room.

that was unpleasant for a few seconds.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Your personal anecdotal experience of charging "much faster" does not change the fact that the iPad Pro does not charge when on 100% brightness while on the charger and still takes a long time to charge overall. Sorry, not sorry.

The only time I need my iPad on full brightness is when trying to use it outside in full sunlight. Otherwise, I usually have it under 50% brightness.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015

Wrong, it DOES charge fine when on 100% brightness and in use. I was using it like this last night, maybe you should go buy one and see for yourself rather than spread internet gossip like an old fisherwoman.

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
I laugh when I read that some people waiting for the iPad Pro to be cheaper.

When the iPad Pro 2 does come out, whether this year or 2017 (my money is on the latter), it won't be cheaper.

I think they mean that the current model may go on sale or the current model will be cheaper when the next model comes out.

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
I think they mean that the current model may go on sale or the current model will be cheaper when the next model comes out.

For the small amount of money that Apple usually discounts last year's model (usually $100) when the new model comes out, it seems hardly worth it to get the old model considering you have lost a full year of use in the potential life of that product before it becomes outdated.

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
For the small amount of money that Apple usually discounts last year's model (usually $100) when the new model comes out, it seems hardly worth it to get the old model considering you have lost a full year of use in the potential life of that product before it becomes outdated.

Oh I agree. It may be more deeply discounted by other sellers, but I say get what you want when you want it.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
In regards to waiting on the iPad Pro purchase, I decided this morning that I've finally narrowed it down to three major sticking points. They are the same ones I've had since the very first iPad came out, and they will most likely persist for the next couple of years:

1. As I stated earlier in the thread, iOS just isn't ready to handle my particular workflows full time. In fact, it's a pretty long way off.

2. I don't want to be missing one of the OS's as an option. I like the thought of having iOS, OS X, WatchOS, and tvOS all available to me. That way I am always guaranteed to have the right tool for the job (which, if you listen closely in interviews, is what Apple thinks is optimal as well.)

3. This is the one I've come to realize over the last couple of months: Sometimes, I just really don't feel like holding my computer. For example: 10 minutes ago, I wanted to get online and do some browsing, maybe get some writing done, and get some other odds and ends taken care of. I went to get out my iPad, and thought, "I'd really rather just have my laptop right now so I can just type, point, and click without having to hold something." It's really that simple. If I didn't have my rMBP anymore, I would miss the form factor. And no, I don't count the iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard as a laptop that I can just set down anywhere, including in my lap, and just start typing away. So here I am typing away in my favorite chair, and since I'm in a lazy mood this morning, I'm not having to hold anything. Macbook is comfortably in my lap.

I do think at some point I am going to own an iPad Pro. It's an incredibly powerful and portable device, and those speakers absolutely cannot be denied, but for now, it's just not the right machine for me.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So here I am typing away in my favorite chair, and since I'm in a lazy mood this morning, I'm not having to hold anything. Macbook is comfortably in my lap.

This just shows how different people's preferences can be. I've always disliked having laptops on my lap, makes me feel like I need to hold onto the thing in order to prevent it tumbling off my lap. Also more awkward getting up, have to close the laptops first. With an iPad in a case, I don't care if it tumbles off my lap, since I've never had an iPad suffer any damage with a drop from chair height. I don't mind holding the iPad, I usually raise my knees and prop it up, or use a pillow to support it.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
This just shows how different people's preferences can be. I've always disliked having laptops on my lap, makes me feel like I need to hold onto the thing in order to prevent it tumbling off my lap. Also more awkward getting up, have to close the laptops first. With an iPad in a case, I don't care if it tumbles off my lap, since I've never had an iPad suffer any damage with a drop from chair height. I don't mind holding the iPad, I usually raise my knees and prop it up, or use a pillow to support it.
For what it's worth, I'm now back on my iPad because I decided to read my book, and my mindset is "books, even digital ones, should be held in the hands." I don't know. I'm weird I guess.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
For what it's worth, I'm now back on my iPad because I decided to read my book, and my mindset is "books, even digital ones, should be held in the hands." I don't know. I'm weird I guess.

Haha! Actually, reading, not just books but also websites and RSS feeds, is probably the majority of my iPad usage. Until the Pro, I usually switched to my desktops when I needed to do a lot of typing. But the iPad Pro is big enough I'm enjoying typing longer documents on it. I'm looking forward to see how my usage pattern develops over the next months as I use the Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.