why didn't you go pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SPNarwhal, May 27, 2010.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

i know there's a lot of people asking which to get, macbook or 13" macbook pro.
    most people say the pro is better for many reasons.

so, why did you go with the macbook and not the macbook pro?
    200 dollars not worth the "additions" to you?
    is it because it's plastic and plastic is cooler than metal? (because it is; opinion.)
    or are there other reasons

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. FWW macrumors regular

FWW

just got the new macbook, I prefer the polycarbonate body... only thing i wish it had is the backlit keyboard

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

5. pesc macrumors regular

Because I can't use the mirror screen on the Pro. Never ever. The matte 15" is too clumsy.

I wouldn't buy the glossy 13" MBP even if it was half the price of the MacBook. I still think the glossy screen on the MacBook is annoying but it is much much better than the MacBook Pro.

6. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I dont have either but there is noticeably less reflection on the MacBook than the MBPs. Maybe thats why Apple haven't offered a matte option for the 13" MBP yet. If i was choosing, even though i prefer the Aluminium id either go for the 15" matte or the MacBook. The 13" MBP is way too mirror like IMO

7. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

love my new 2010 macbook!

I bought the new 2010 white unibody macbook 6 days ago and i really love it,it is amazingly fast! the only thing i don't like is it scratches WAY to easily,you can just wipe it down and leave tiny little scratches all over it,i bought a skin for it-matching top and palmrest with my choice of print,hopefully it will protect it.I have owned several mbp's,i had a 2008 15" 2.53 ghz,2gb ram,a 2008 17" 2.53 ghz,2gb ram,a Oct 2008 15"unibody mbp 2.53ghz,4gb ram,i did have a unibody aluminum 2.40ghz macbook for a short time,all my pro's were stolen last year when my home was broken into,2 mos ago i finally went to get a new mac and i really wanted the pro but i am disabled and every bit counts so,2 yrs ago when money was better i bought several pro's for my family but now i just can't justify the extra $200 when that money can go for other things, anyways i went and got a 2.26ghz white macbook from Apple,then the upgrade came out,i didn't think they were going to upgrade the regular macbooks this quick,so i sold it and went and got the newest one,the graphics are 80% faster so i really wanted it,and to tell the truth,i really don't see that much of a speed difference,between this and when i was using my pro,i really love the high gloss white look,except for the scratching,but for my needs it does everything i need it to.

2010 White Unibody Macbook 2.40ghz,2gb Ram,nvidia Geforce 320m
    White 16gb iphone 3GS

8. CrizzoDesigns macrumors newbie

CrizzoDesigns

I bought mine a month ago.. price was a big factor for me!! It was either MacBook and iPad or 15" MacBook pro.. I chose MacBook and iPad!:apple:

9. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I chose it for one reason, color, WHITE. I could affored a pro, but the white, color, shiny, pretty, beautiful looked to nice to pass up....lol

10. miicah macrumors regular

11. rk1991 macrumors regular

because 2009 unibody macbook was a lot cheaper (from microcenter) and made more sense when compared to the 13inch mbp

12. gerabbi macrumors regular

2 reasons for me...

Reason 1: I cannot stand the super glossy screen on the MBP, it literally gives me a headache, and is very distracting also

Reason 2: Micro Center price.

13. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

i am in the same boat, have not bought the newer macbook yet, i am preferring MB over MBP ... :)

14. josh.fred macrumors newbie

As a student, the macbook was definitely the cheaper way to go... haha
    And thought the macbook and mbp were basically the same thing, not worth the extra dollars for the few additions...

15. BeachHead macrumors newbie

I have to say this is why I got the MacBook. I would like to say I was very happy with it but I have the problem with the top case cracking near the hinge so now I am not so happy with it. I will just add the problem is not really the cracks as it is getting it fixed and getting a screen that is not as good as the one I have right now. The screen I have now is great.

16. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I got a MacBook because it's what I was offered when I gave my G5 and dual flat screens and surround sound to buy this 2 week old MB used from a friend. Plan to get a 13" MBP one day.

17. Daiken macrumors newbie

nvm this pots, just noticed it was "why MB and not pro" lol :D still morning here haha

18. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I went pro because of the screen real estate, though in all honesty I wish I could have a 15" white polycarbonate model.. they mightn't be as robust, and they scratch and discolor easier, but they're so pretty. I'm not a big fan of the black / silver contrast thing the unibodys have going.

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The iMacs are the same now. No more white ones:(

20. FRiC macrumors member

Back when I got my MacBook (early 2009) the MBP was much more expensive due to the exchange rate. Now the MBP is the same price as what I paid for my MB.

21. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Holy Shizer are the MBP's the same price as the MB's now?:eek:

22. yahya4k macrumors member

I want to get the Pro... but price is an issue since I already plan to get an iPad (and iPhone 4G) this year. I think it would just be silly spending so much money on another expensive toy during the tale end of a recession.:rolleyes:

At this moment in time, I am not seeing significant enough differences between the two that justify the more expensive price tag. Besides right now I am still a ...Windows user:eek:

23. GidbinN macrumors member

GidbinN

MacBook is the successor of iBook, and MBP is from PowerBook
    well obviously iBook is simply cooler ;)

24. Striker-UMB macrumors regular

IMO the Pro was not worth the extra $205, when I purchased my unibody in January 2010 it and the Pro had the exact same specs under the hood. Money wasn't an issue but I just couldn't justify myself to spend $205 for an illuminated keyboard which is the only thing I wanted from the Pro. Couldn't care less for the aluminum body, or card reader. I wanted something portable to take with me too and from school and other instances where a laptop could be convenient for me, which it has. I have a desktop computer at home that has the raw power(Core i7 920) and card reader if I need it, so the white unibody MacBook was ideal for me, plus I think it looks WAY better than the pro.

Those who say it scratches easy, yes that very well is true but just take care of your products, use a propper cloth to clean it, and keep it in a sleeve or case when not in use and you will have no problems. When mine is not in use its in my incase neoprene sleeve, which takes a max of 5 seconds to put in, not much for your $1000+ investment, and I have been scratch free thus far, still looks brand spanking new:)

25. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Me too. $799 vs. $1199, $400 was way too much money to give up just to get a couple of, to me, minor features.

I will note though, the Apple Store in King of Prussia, PA did match the MicroCenter store price.