Why do I purchase a replacement battery for my mid 2010 MacBook Pro?

Sushi2018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2018
I am 100% comfortable doing the work of replacing the battery once I have a replacement battery.

I see them selling on Amazon for very cheap, but I know a lot of them aren't very good based on the reviews. As I understand, Apple doesn't make these anymore. Where would an authorized repair shop purchase a replacement battery?

Thanks in advance.

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I have said this a number of times in the past - a "cheap" battery is almost never a bargain. Save your money somewhere else, not on the battery, and go with a known-good name.

OWC is a great place to start.

NOT Amazon (too much choice to know if your purchase will be what you hope to get the first time), and def NOT eBay :cool: (No reliable method to make any good battery purchase there)

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
You want the OWC/NuPower/Newer Tech battery from someplace like Microcenter. Not cheap, but it's the closest to an OE Apple battery you'll find.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/443918/78-watt-hour-replacement-battery-for-macbook-pro-15-unibody-mid-2009---mid-2010

I just put this in my 2010 two weeks ago and it's great.
I put one in my 2010 MacBook Air and it was great for a few months and then it suddenly died and refuses to charge.

I don't think you can buy a decent third party replacement.