Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Groan... all hell would break loose if Google or MS did the same is the point.
And iOS does prompt the hell out you until you relent from the constant prompting.
I really hate this fan boy mentality and defending (by a select few members) what should never be defended. it's just wrong and we all know it.

I'm sure i could point to googles T&Cs around data collection, or MS on privacy... doesn't make ANY of them right either.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
The main reason iDevices slow down are the major yearly iOS updates. They become increasingly demanding as hardware is improved and older devices start to stutter and lag -- but usually that starts after the second major release. Many people simply don't update, but of course you miss out on new features and eventually app makers stop supporting your iOS version.

Every single iDevice I have owned has started to stutter and lag by the 2nd major iOS update and it usually gets worse from there. It's incremental though and isn't always immediately apparent, which is why you can't always trust the reviews of people who recently updated their own devices. My experience with the dreaded iPad 3 was worst of all so far. It took a nosedive even after the *first* update.
This is my experience. Which is why I said three years. Which is why my 3GS stayed at 5. My 4 stayed at 6. And so on down the line.
But one year????? First major upgrade??? No issues.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
This is my experience. Which is why I said three years. Which is why my 3GS stayed at 5. My 4 stayed at 6. And so on down the line.
But one year????? First major upgrade??? No issues.

Yep, that was my experience with the iPad 3--though not with any other device after the first update anyway. It was underpowered mistake to begin with and is why I pay more attention to spec upgrades and performance scores.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Nope - have you ever used iOS?
the prompt at EVERY logon, the prompt again even though you said no and the prompt to schedule for update tonight...

and WHO agreed apple could download it without my permission?
Strange I don't receive that. Maybe try the settings as per note #73 above.

Perhaps because I have automatic updates turned off.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
No issues with my 5s slowing down, and I've had it since it was initially released. Constantly kept up to date, too.

LenaY

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2016
the United States
It has been a year since I have my iPhone 6. It works well just like one year ago. It also works will with the iOS 9.3.2. Maybe there are lots of junk files or caches on your iPhone, just have a cleaning.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Strange I don't receive that. Maybe try the settings as per note #73 above.

Perhaps because I have automatic updates turned off.
From what I read, automatic updates are irrelevant. I also have them off but that apparently only applies to the AppStore.

Are you connected to wifi for any length of time? I haven't found a way to disable this either as it will download silently in the background with a wifi connection. It can be deleted (found in your apps list in settings > storage) but will eventually just download again.

It doesn't bother me terribly because I always just update about 48 hours after reading if there are any bugs, so it's a nuisance for maybe one day. But I admit it would be nice to just disable the download altogether.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
It has nothing to do with the OS. I've owned quite a lot of iphones and iPads none of them have slowed down after a year. It's usually after the 2 year mark that they start to stutter. But it is nothing that makes it unusable.

Maybe it is the amount of apps or files you have on your device. Smartphones run like computers where if you have a lot of stuff on it, it will start to slow down.

That sucks. I like to put a lot of movies and tv shows on my iPad Air 2 128 GB.
[doublepost=1464767622][/doublepost]
Same here. Keep phone memory 40 % clear. Get all the latest iOS updates. Never have noticed slowdown.
[doublepost=1464533175][/doublepost]
Content blockers have been a wonderful addition. Use them on both iPhone 6s Plus and iPad Air 2. Speeds up downloads, reduces data used, and saves on battery. Once in a great while a sight will not load and message comes up that I must turn off content blockers. Instead I just ignore and don't use the sight. I use Blockr the most, and Internet browsing is back to what it used to be years ago. Fast, add free. And not downloading all those surveillance trackers may have a great deal to do with keeping my iOS devices running fast and smooth.

I prefer a total ad blocker so it blocks ads in not only Safari but other browsers and apps as well. Makes things a lot quicker!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That sucks. I like to put a lot of movies and tv shows on my iPad Air 2 128 GB.
[doublepost=1464767622][/doublepost]

I prefer a total ad blocker so it blocks ads in not only Safari but other browsers and apps as well. Makes things a lot quicker!
Problem with those is that to work they basically have traffic redirected through them.
[doublepost=1464794086][/doublepost]
From what I read, automatic updates are irrelevant. I also have them off but that apparently only applies to the AppStore.

Are you connected to wifi for any length of time? I haven't found a way to disable this either as it will download silently in the background with a wifi connection. It can be deleted (found in your apps list in settings > storage) but will eventually just download again.

It doesn't bother me terribly because I always just update about 48 hours after reading if there are any bugs, so it's a nuisance for maybe one day. But I admit it would be nice to just disable the download altogether.
Yeah, no controls for iOS updates as far as automatic downloads (when connected to a power source and on WiFi). When an update has been deleted though it shouldn't get downloaded automatically again (unless it's a new update). I know some have mentioned that they still get it again, but others have mentioned that they don't, and my personal experience with it is in line with that as well (that the update doesn't get downloaded automatically again).

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
never had any cell/smartphone slow down in the 23 years I have been using them

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
WHO agreed apple could download it without my permission?

YOU agreed that Apple can do whatever they want with their own software (iOS) by clicking the "I agree" button on the licensing agreement you obviously didn't read.

In return Apple agreed to let you use iOS at no additional cost or licensing fees. No, you do not own iOS.

Last edited:

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Alright. Well close the thread then. Nothing else matters. Everything else must be fabricated or imagined.
thread should close..... No phone i have ever owned was slow after a year of ownership... It's a fabrication of somebody's mind that makes it think it's slow because they want a justification for paying for a new device 12 months later because they want that new eye candy. Phones are built to be fast enough and good enough for a few years....

If you want to spend the $$$ and can afford to upgrade yearly you can do so but don't need to make up issues to justify your new purchase.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
YOU agreed that Apple can do whatever they want with their own software (iOS) by clicking the "I agree" button on the licensing agreement you obviously didn't read.

In return Apple agreed to let you use iOS at no additional cost or licensing fees. No, you do not own iOS.
This is a bit of a philosophical question. But did I agree to let Apple fill my available storage as they see fit? Are you able to point to the part of the user agreement that states these downloads are something we agree to? I'm going to take a look when I have a minute, if I can remember.

One huge issue that I didn't even think of when I read about this "problem" is some people have incurred overages with their satellite internet plans unknowingly. It's entirely possible it's their fault because they agreed to it, but I would think downloads would have to be spelled out specifically. Or maybe not. That's why I ask.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is a bit of a philosophical question. But did I agree to let Apple fill my available storage as they see fit? Are you able to point to the part of the user agreement that states these downloads are something we agree to? I'm going to take a look when I have a minute, if I can remember.

One huge issue that I didn't even think of when I read about this "problem" is some people have incurred overages with their satellite internet plans unknowingly. It's entirely possible it's their fault because they agreed to it, but I would think downloads would have to be spelled out specifically. Or maybe not. That's why I ask.
It would certainly be useful for Apple to provide a control over that (among some other things that don't have user controls).

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Cell phones were around in 1993.

I had a Motorola 550 in 1995-96
Motorola_A_DPC-550.jpg

[doublepost=1464813980][/doublepost]

Taken from the iOS 9 license agreement @ http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iOS91.pdf

1. General. (a) The software (including Boot ROM code, embedded software and third party software), documentation, interfaces, content, fonts and any data that came with your iOS Device (“Original iOS Software”), as may be updated or replaced by feature enhancements, software updates or system restore software provided by Apple (“iOS Software Updates”), whether in read only memory, on any other media or in any other form (the Original iOS Software and iOS Software Updates are collectively referred to as the “iOS Software”) are licensed, not sold, to you by Apple Inc. (“Apple”) for use only under the terms of this License. Apple and its licensors retain ownership of the iOS Software itself and reserve all rights not expressly granted to you. You agree that the terms of this License will apply to any Apple-branded app that may be preinstalled on your iOS Device, unless such app is accompanied by a separate license, in which case you agree that the terms of that license will govern your use of that app. (b) Apple, at its discretion, may make available future iOS Software Updates for your iOS Device. The iOS Software Updates, if any, may not necessarily include all existing software features or new features that Apple releases for newer or other models of iOS Devices. The terms of this License will govern any iOS Software Updates provided by Apple that replace and/ or supplement the Original iOS Software product, unless such iOS Software Update is accompanied by a separate license in which case the terms of that license will govern.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
thread should close..... No phone i have ever owned was slow after a year of ownership... It's a fabrication of somebody's mind that makes it think it's slow because they want a justification for paying for a new device 12 months later because they want that new eye candy. Phones are built to be fast enough and good enough for a few years....

If you want to spend the $$$ and can afford to upgrade yearly you can do so but don't need to make up issues to justify your new purchase.
You really just know everything, don't you? Must be nice.

Can you sincerely not fathom or imagine any situation or scenario in which someone else's experiences could differ from your own? Amazing.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
You really just know everything, don't you? Must be nice.

Can you sincerely not fathom or imagine any situation or scenario in which someone else's experiences could differ from your own? Amazing.

As I said if you need to use this to justify your desire to have the latest and "greatest" iPhone then be my guest.

In 3-5 years I would agree but only 12 months? No way it's "slower" than when you bought it.

zooole

macrumors member
May 22, 2016
If anything, android devices are said to slow down (more) over ios.

Frankly, any phone might slow down because most people put junk on their phones...planned obsolescence (the 2nd post) has nothing to do with it.

I think it's the opposite now. Android can be very efficient and the raw power of later Qualcomm SoCs (and Exynos) are more than enough.

My Nexus 5's speed is easily on pair with the my SE, even faster at points (but this might be due to the animation speeds). Even though the A9 is obviously more powerful.

One of my main concerns were before buying the SE that when I tried the 5S it had noticable stutter while going through the UI, opening notifications and control center.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.