Why do iPhones slow after a year

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I had a Motorola 550 in 1995-96

[doublepost=1464813980][/doublepost]

Taken from the iOS 9 license agreement @ http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iOS91.pdf

1. General. (a) The software (including Boot ROM code, embedded software and third party software), documentation, interfaces, content, fonts and any data that came with your iOS Device (“Original iOS Software”), as may be updated or replaced by feature enhancements, software updates or system restore software provided by Apple (“iOS Software Updates”), whether in read only memory, on any other media or in any other form (the Original iOS Software and iOS Software Updates are collectively referred to as the “iOS Software”) are licensed, not sold, to you by Apple Inc. (“Apple”) for use only under the terms of this License. Apple and its licensors retain ownership of the iOS Software itself and reserve all rights not expressly granted to you. You agree that the terms of this License will apply to any Apple-branded app that may be preinstalled on your iOS Device, unless such app is accompanied by a separate license, in which case you agree that the terms of that license will govern your use of that app. (b) Apple, at its discretion, may make available future iOS Software Updates for your iOS Device. The iOS Software Updates, if any, may not necessarily include all existing software features or new features that Apple releases for newer or other models of iOS Devices. The terms of this License will govern any iOS Software Updates provided by Apple that replace and/ or supplement the Original iOS Software product, unless such iOS Software Update is accompanied by a separate license in which case the terms of that license will govern.
Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but making something available isn't synonymous with forcing a download. At least not in my mind. I've seen plenty of software updates that tell you "software update available". How exactly is that not also "making updates available" to me? It's right there online for me to download at my convenience.

And I say this all because in that very document Apple proves they aren't shy about using the term "download" at all. If I recall my earlier search the term if found 47 times, and yet they chose to omit it from that phrase. Unsure why.
[doublepost=1464825678][/doublepost]
As I said if you need to use this to justify your desire to have the latest and "greatest" iPhone then be my guest.

In 3-5 years I would agree but only 12 months? No way it's "slower" than when you bought it.
In sure there are those that want to justify their purchases. In sure there are those that genuinely notice more hangups, lag, crashes.

I genuinely hated the 6 plus. It was, in my opinion, the least usable phone that Apple ever made and that was out the door. Many disagree with me. And that's perfectly fine. It doesn't change my experience or theirs. It just is.

Last edited:

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
I think it's the opposite now. Android can be very efficient and the raw power of later Qualcomm SoCs (and Exynos) are more than enough.

My Nexus 5's speed is easily on pair with the my SE, even faster at points (but this might be due to the animation speeds). Even though the A9 is obviously more powerful.

One of my main concerns were before buying the SE that when I tried the 5S it had noticable stutter while going through the UI, opening notifications and control center.
I never noticed lag like that on my 5s.

Agree about the Nexus 5, still a great phone. My wife has my old one, on 6.0.1, and it's plenty zippy. Although you're probably not running anything that's going to truly tax it, like Geekbench3 does. N5 gets an 816 score, 6s gets a 2475... does it make a difference checking Facebook, probably not. But gaming, editing a video, the iPhone will pull ahead quickly.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I had a Motorola 550 in 1995-96

[doublepost=1464813980][/doublepost]
I HAD THAT PHONE TOO!

That was a phone, not a camera, not a video player, not a music player, not a text device, not a computer. It was just a phone. It never slowed down, cuz all you could do was make phone calls with it. Just like the communicator on Star Trek. Flipped open. Man you were cool if you had one. Could remove the back, which was a battery and replace it with spare one you carried. And damn was it ever rugged. Dropping it did nothing to it. LOL memories.

This was so much better than my bag phone. That bag phone you wore over shoulder. Full size hand set and huge battery. But damn did it ever have power. Was before many cell towers. Had to broadcast with like 5 watts I think it was.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I'm sure it has to be the Os it is like Apple deliberately outs code on every update to gradually slow down the phone to convince customers is time for an upgrade.

Reactions: Sunny1990 and ovo6

subjonas

macrumors 68020
Feb 10, 2014
lol
I assume you're trolling because
1. The exact opposite has been true in my experience with Android and iOS devices. And I've only ever heard the same from people in my circle, and everywhere in general.
2. Really? Slow down on your family's 6s, the 8 month old iPhone?

Congrats on all the responses.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
This thing about forced update downloads.....I have never had an update just show up.
Been using iPhones since 2009, both personal and now for work.
Interesting, the stuff you read on tech forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This thing about forced update downloads.....I have never had an update just show up.
Been using iPhones since 2009, both personal and now for work.
Interesting, the stuff you read on tech forums.
Oh it's definitely there. Only applies to when the device is plugged in and connected to a WiFi network, and doesn't happen right the day when the update was released, but usually within about a week or so (assuming the user hasn't already manually initiated the update or something like that).

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
fightthenewdrug.org
Oh it's definitely there. Only applies to when the device is plugged in and connected to a WiFi network, and doesn't happen right the day when the update was released, but usually within about a week or so (assuming the user hasn't already manually initiated the update or something like that).
Does disabling automatic updates in Settings affect iOS updates as well?

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
Ah that's why. I don't dawdle when it comes to software updates. Why would I. There are usually security pieces that are important to me.

Reactions: HEK

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I HAD THAT PHONE TOO!

That was a phone, not a camera, not a video player, not a music player, not a text device, not a computer. It was just a phone. It never slowed down, cuz all you could do was make phone calls with it. Just like the communicator on Star Trek. Flipped open. Man you were cool if you had one. Could remove the back, which was a battery and replace it with spare one you carried. And damn was it ever rugged. Dropping it did nothing to it. LOL memories.

This was so much better than my bag phone. That bag phone you wore over shoulder. Full size hand set and huge battery. But damn did it ever have power. Was before many cell towers. Had to broadcast with like 5 watts I think it was.
@ 33 cents/minute my conversations were mostly "Let me call you back from a pay phone".

Reactions: lordofthereef

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Well that might explain it then. I have always updated within a week of new updated iOS coming out. Usually wait 48 hrs to see if any major issues then update. So far has never slowed my phone down after update. I make sure all apps are updated first. Then reboot phone, save to iCloud backup, then update while on home wifi. So far has worked perfectly every time, knock on wood. And security updates are biggest reason I religiously update.
[doublepost=1464891754][/doublepost]
@ 33 cents/minute my conversations were mostly "Let me call you back from a pay phone".
Haha that's right. Calls were expensive and you had call minutes you didn't want to go over per month. Like data today. Now a days few make calls most plans have unlimited calling. Times do change.

Last edited: