Why do people buy sleeve or cases for their ipad ???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FrenchPB, May 12, 2012.

1. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

Guys,

The ipad is a beautiful device, but I see everyone putting ugly sleeves or cases to "protect" their device. That is so weird to me... why would you buy such a beautiful device only to put it around ugly plastic or neoprene ?

The ipad is a mobile device, it's made to be used on the go...

You wouldn't buy a plastic case to protect your car... why do you feel like doing it with your ipad ? I've never protected my phones, ipods, or laptops, and I never had any problem with that.

What is your reason for buying cases or sleeves ?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I use a BookBook case for my iPad to transport it in my bag because it won't fit in my pocket like my naked iPhone

3. bubbaba macrumors newbie

I have a case to support the ipad on a table at an angle I want, don't want to hold it all the time to do things and don't want it flat all the time. I also feel more comfortable walking around with it in a case.

4. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

OP - try a yoobao case, i doubt you'd ask the question after using it, there's numerous benefits to using a case, but you have to try it for yourself to see it it's for you....

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted

Carry an ipad around naked for a week and you will see why people use cases.

6. 32gb3gwifi macrumors member

I think that people put cases on their iPads as an asset protection. If you drop your iPad in an otter box it would not break, and the screen would not crack. Although it isn't 100% guaranteed it does make the odds of breaking significantly less. If you drop your iPad without any case or sleeve, the chance of it breaking i.e the glass shattering is much higher. And some cases are pretty awesome, personally I love the apple bumper for my iPhone. It lets all of the beauty of the design shine and protects it from drops. I think that the sleeves are for people who think like you. They don't want the beauty of the device covered but they want to be able to transport it safely, all in all if I were you I would consider a sleeve just to transport it in your backpack or whatever, and then take it out and show it off free of dents and scratches and be the envy of everyone staring at that apple logo ;)

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Mainly because I don't want to drop it and break it. I'm fairly clumsy, so I drop things a lot, and cases have helped protect my iPads from several bad drops. Plus, with the iPads 2 and 3, I find that the edges feel sharp against my hands, so a case helps by rounding out the edges. That said, I'm fairly particular about what cases I get -- I try to look for the sleekest and simplest look I can find.

8. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

I still use my iphone 3G that is now 3 and 1/2 years old, it's been naked for all that time and it's in perfect condition. An ipad is just a bigger iphone, so what gives ?

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

How do you carry your iPhone? I think with an iPhone, it's easy to carry it in a pocket without anything else that might scratch or damage it. An iPad doesn't fit in a pocket, so unless you have a bag with a dedicated iPad compartment, it tends to rub against other stuff in a bag.

10. It'sMyPrecious macrumors regular

I throw my iPad in my backpack, which contains other potentially sharp items such as keys, pens, an umbrella, etc. I also want something to hold it upright for viewing movies or at an angle for typing. Right now, I have a smart cover on my iPad for a minimalistic look, and I put it in a padded sleeve before it goes in my backpack.

11. felixgun macrumors member

Although the iPhone and iPad are both very sleek devices that look best without a case, they are both made with glass and aluminum. One breaks and one dents fairly easily. Why risk shattering the glass or denting the aluminum when you spent hundreds of dollars on these products when you can buy a simple case that will protect your investment. I honestly wish I didn't have to use a case for either of them but I just won't risk it as I like them to stay in pristine condition from beginning to end. I have a case on my macbook pro and ipod classic too :)

12. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Because I bought a tool, not a work of art, and my case/stand makes it a more useful tool for me.

13. ryuu55 macrumors newbie

To protect their expensive investment. Right now I'm just using a smartcover and a xtra timbuk2 bag I have. A otter box has not been ruled out yet.

14. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

If you bought a tool and not a work of art, you shouldn't be afraid of your tool being used and scratched ;)

I understand a stand adds something though, that is why a smart cover seems like enough as far as protection in my mind.

15. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

It's part fashion statement. When you have like 3/4 of the colleagues in your working totting iphones, even a simple cheap case does wonders to differentiate yours from the rest. That and I was never a fan of the exposed antennae anyways. Felt like they stripped away the bumper just so they could sell it as a separate accessory. :p

Same logic extends to the ipad.

16. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Totally have a case for the stand options and to me the iPad is also much easier to grip with a case.

What do you do with it to watch a movie? Hold it the whole time or look for a way to prop it up?

Now the phone doesn't really have any of those issues. Typing is usually holding on to the phone and using thumbs. Whereas with the iPad I need the case with stand mode so I have both hands free to type. I also don't generally watch a movie or do long term work on my phone.

17. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

I agree with you fully. I don't use a case with my iPhone, and I love it. A case is designed to keep your device looking elegant, but you'll never get to see just how good your device looks anyways if you're constantly covering it in silicone/TPU.

18. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I guarantee you it is not in perfect condition.

19. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I use a back shell and leather smart cover because A) i like the smell and feel of leather and B) the back shell to protect the back aluminum from scratching when I set it down.

20. xraytech macrumors 68020

Better grip and comfort.

21. leipo macrumors newbie

I bought a case for minimal protection and to be able to have it upright or at an slight angle without holding onto it. Also i like the black outside of my case more than the greyish backside of the ipad.

22. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    At home, my iPad has just the Smart Cover on it, and when I go out she is carried in my Waterfield Designs bag, again with just the Smart Cover. When I am using a different bag, though, one which isn't as conveniently compartmentalized, I then do want more protection from bumps and scratches from other things in the same bag. When I am carrying the iPad along with a camera and lenses, I put her (still with Smart Cover on) into a padded protective case and sometimes I slide that into a second, larger protective case (which was originally meant for a laptop). I don't want the screen cracked by pressure or by camera body or lens banging into it. One of my camera bags has a separate laptop section, which is ideal, but another, smaller one doesn't have that, so I need and want extra protection when I am using that bag with my gear. It's easy enough to pull the iPad out of the extra protective sleeve or case in order to use it as I normally do.

23. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Why do you cover up your beautiful body with clothes? :rolleyes:

24. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Honestly, it shouldn't be your problem if people want to or do not want to put a case/sleeve on their devices.

The main reasons are mostly put into 3 categories:
    1. Personal style

Want leather? How about the colors black, brown, pink, purple, red or blue? What color or style would fit your personality/age/image? Do you want a smart cover or one with pockets? Do you want a sleeve or an all in one case? Do you want one with padding around the frame? Or enough padding on the back?

2. Safety

I personally do not like putting the iPad 'naked' on a desk. It scratches and makes that screeching noise that makes the hair on my back tingle. But if that's what you want, then more power to you. Altogether though, people put cases to protect a $500+ investment. It's not like I can easily pull out that much cash out of nowhere and get another. If you want to get me another iPad if I break mine, then please do!

3. External Versatility

You can get a case that has a built in keyboard. You can get one that works as a stand. You can get a case that fulfills the imagination. Whatever you want, its probably out there or being made at this very moment. You can get a military grade protected case, or one in Chinatown for $5. No one is stopping you.

People are different. Some want a case, some don't. It'll be like this until they make devices part of our bodies. But even then, someone will find a sleeve for their iArm.

25. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Lol..nice one!

Seriously, just try it yourself OP. Get an iPad and go out with out any protection. You must be too smart to say that an iPhone is just like an iPad.