iPad Why do people keep calling the newer iPads - iPad 4, iPad 5 etc?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by the8thark, Oct 15, 2013.

1. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Why do people keep calling the newer iPads, iPad 4 and iPad 5? When their names are iPad (4th Generation) and iPad (5th Generation), 4th Gen and 5th Gen for short.

5th Gen is what I think the next iPad will be called.
    I don't think Apple will go back to the past and call the next iPad, iPad 5.

Even the editors here insist on using the very much less likely of the two possible names.

[​IMG]

I fail to understand why people simply refuse to name the product properly. This is an Apple fan site with some pretty fanatical Apple fans on it. That is cool. But for people who are that into Apple, they are pretty stubborn on using the incorrect name for the iPad.

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

The official name will be "iPad (5th Generation)", but it is just easier to say "iPad 5" when discussing here on the forums.

On the flip side of the coin, some companies try to combat this by uniquely naming every device they create. The problem is that you run out of them quickly and then have stupid names like "Samsung Epic 4G Touch" (that is a real name).

3. Corey Gibson macrumors newbie

Patriot is right. This is usually just to simplify which item you are talking about. Although it makes me wonder how high they will go. I wonder if they will ever get to double digits. To me, that would sound pretty stupid.

"Now announcing the iPhone 14"...... yea... how about we just pick another name.

4. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Why does it irk you so much that you felt the need to start a thread about it? Or are you that confused that you can't understand that "iPad 4" is nothing more than shorthand for "Apple iPad (4th Generation)"? :rolleyes:

5. musika macrumors 65816

musika

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You can't comprehend that iPad 4 is shorthand for iPad (4th Generation)?

I'm very sorry.

7. tyche macrumors 6502

Would you rather it follow the correct names: iPad, iPad 2, The new iPad, The iPad with Retina Display. You don't see any confusion here (especially since The new iPad has a Retina display)? People talking about "the new iPad" could mean several devices and growing.

Face it, Apple went off the naming rails after the third generation. People need to be able to differentiate products easily and this is accomplished by adding a digit to the name. iPad 5. Will roll off the tongue easier and make less confusion than "the new iPad with Retina and TouchID" or whatever they dream up.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Because discussion forum. Why does it matter?

9. Ann P macrumors 68020

It just rolls off the tongue easier. I think most can comprehend that the iPad 5 = iPad 5th generation. Even if Apple stops numbering the iPhone, people will continue to do so. Sounds a lot better than..."Hey guys, I just got my iPhone 6th generation." :)

10. Naramis macrumors member

Using the real names would be SO confusing.. If I created a topic about the new iPad, which one would I be talking about?

iPad 3, since it's called "the new iPad"?
    iPad 4, since it's the newest currently available?
    iPad 5, since it's the new one to be announced soon?

11. Internaut macrumors 6502a

Well, we need to call them something so we, as consumers, can differentiate between the different generations and make informed buying decisions!

12. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

it's iPad (fifth generation) but it's just easy to say iPad 5

13. bobright macrumors 601

Ahhh the week before a release, where all the testosterone is flowing for the new iPad and ridiculous threads are made that are much ado about nothing :D

14. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I can't believe this thread was made.

Wasteland please.

15. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

Can't believe I wasted 30 seconds reading that.

16. srkmish macrumors regular

srkmish

I think you should start a petition to prohibit everyone to use the name "ipad 5" and simply stick with 5Th Gen Ipad. You could include stuff like whoever will use the term ipad 5 will be persecuted relentlessly by all the petitioners and his/her life will become a living hell. Let me know how it goes. All the luck to you :D

17. MauerFan macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure you're smart enough to know that iPad 5 means iPad (5th Generation). :rolleyes:

18. bobright macrumors 601

19. alice04 macrumors regular

alice04

Hihihihi. yeah, but makes sense. It's just easy to call it iPad5 anyway than to call it iPad 5th generation.

20. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

I'm with the OP. It is incorrect to name them iPad 4, etc., in the same way iPhones are named.

21. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

All this numbering business will stop eventually, it's only due to the product line being relatively new and an easy way to know what type people have. Nobody says Macbook Pro 12,1, it's just 2012 Macbook etc.

Although I do actually like the naming conventions Apple use, be it revision numbers, i.e 12,1 or the brackets, i.e iPad (3rd generation), makes it really easy to understand the device you have, out of all tech companies it's the easiest to understand.

One thing that never made sense was the iPod changing to the iPod Classic, as over time it has changed the naming conventions for older iPods released before that one, at the time named, iPod Photo, Video etc, to 4th Gen, 5th Gen.

22. Markyyy macrumors regular

Get a grip man. Potato potato. That's all I have to say.

23. Jzo macrumors regular

Because the 3rd gen iPad was called "The new iPad". The 4th gen was called "iPad with Retina Display", even though the the 3rd is Retina as well...

So if I walked into a store and ask for the new iPad, they are suppose to hand me a 3rd gen?

24. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

'freedom of speech'

25. Cyloncat macrumors regular

Cyloncat

iPad
    iPad 2
    new iPad
    newer better iPad
    newer than new iPad
    it really is new this time iPad
    we're serious you'd better believe it's new iPad