Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kanyay

Suspended
Dec 14, 2018
Mar-a-Lago, Russia
Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program tells iPhone X owners to upgrade to XS, Max, or XR.

Apple's Comparison Page puts the XR above the X.

It's not hard to read.
Listen to everything Apple tells you to do!

Check out that XR screen resolution vs iPhone X. What an upgrade! That aluminum frame, what an upgrade!

Apple says the XR is better, you can see 2 great reasons why, right above! ^^^^^^

Listen to Apple!

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
Is it to justify their purchase? The only thing better is the battery. In no way is a XR an upgrade over the XS, let alone the X.

Why do people who bought an Xs or max try to put down someone who opted for an XR? Is it to make yourself seem important and you have more money (which you likely don’t) just because you spent over $1000 for your phone? In all honesty why do you even care?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Check out that XR screen resolution vs iPhone X. What an upgrade! That aluminum frame, what an upgrade!

Apple says the XR is better, you can see 2 great reasons why, right above! ^^^^^^

Listen to Apple!

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Apple seems to think a 6.1" display, A12, and the newest camera sensor in the XR are an upgrade over the X.

Most people would be right to trust Apple's opinion.

Reactions: AppleHaterLover

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
XR is not an upgrade over the X
XR is not an upgrade over XS
XR is not an upgrade over XS Max
XR is an upgrade over the 3G, 4, 4S, 5, 5S, SE, 6, 6 Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus.

What about the original iPhone? :p

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Forgot to mention you loose dual camera with 2X optical zoom and 3D touch. Also it's thicker.

You’re right. And for some, the telephoto lens and 3D Touch really are significant features, to the average consumer who is unaware or uncaring, maybe not, but for someone like myself, 3D Touch is a pivotal feature that I use frequently through third-party apps, Peak/Pop and stock iOS capabilities.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011

Listen to Apple!
But your reply specifically questioned whether Apple considered it an upgrade, they then gave you proof that Apple considers it an upgrade. Now you're trying to backtrack and say don't listen to Apple. If you're gonna ask someone to backup their point with actual evidence, don't be surprised when they do. Moving the goalposts to save face only shows that you can't hold your own in a debate.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPack

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
While the XR is technically a processor and maybe a camera upgrade over the X, it is a bad buy because the buyer would have been better off keeping the X for another year (or two or three). I don't know how anyone can claim the XR is an upgrade over the XS.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Forgot to mention you loose dual camera with 2X optical zoom and 3D touch. Also it's thicker.

Apple didn't forget, but they still consider the XR an upgrade over the X.
[doublepost=1546904431][/doublepost]
While the XR is technically a processor and maybe a camera upgrade over the X, it is a bad buy because the buyer would have been better off keeping the X for another year (or two or three). I don't know how anyone can claim the XR is an upgrade over the XS.

Some people are interested in the XR's larger display, which can display the same amount of content as the Max.

IMG_0008.jpeg

Reactions: thadoggfather

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Apple didn't forget, but they still consider the XR an upgrade over the X.
[doublepost=1546904431][/doublepost]

Some people are interested in the XR's larger display, which can display the same amount of content as the Max.

View attachment 814711

I skipped the X because I thought the screen was too small. The XR is a nice screen size bump over my old 7P and is very usable with even one hand.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
Is it to justify their purchase? The only thing better is the battery. In no way is a XR an upgrade over the XS, let alone the X.

Let me be honest and blunt all at one time. I have all 3 phones. The Xʀ, Max and X. I WILL NOT say that it’s an upgrade from the Max because I’d be lying. It’s an upgrade in terms of battery. As far as the X is concerned... the Xʀ is an upgrade. No matter how you wanna flip it and turn it with screen res and dual cameras and blah blah. The Xʀ is an UPGRADE from the X in all sense of the word.

That said, I have all 3 phones. Therefore I don’t have the justify my purchase for anything. I PREFER my Xʀ. Point BLANK. I like my Max, but do not prefer it. I LIKED my X, but would never EVER got back to it or a XS. EVER. 6.1” screen with this battery life is PERFECT.

No justification needed when I’m staring at all 3 phones. The Xʀ is an UPGRADE to the X. As far as a regular XS that’s subjective. The Max is the best iPhone released in 2018 so someone would be crazy to say the Xʀ is an “upgrade”. Only in battery life.
[doublepost=1546908131][/doublepost]
XR is an upgrade over the 3G, 4, 4S, 5, 5S, SE, 6, 6 Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus.

yes theyre doing it to make themselves feel better.
no theyre not correct.

This is all subjective. I don’t have to feel better about anything. Again I HAVE ALL 3 PHONES. The X,Xʀ, and Max. The Xʀ IS AN UPGRADE OVER the X. Not the Max no. The XS is subjective.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011

I like the idea of the 2x optical zoom although in many cases it’s disabled by Apple through stock software. I do admit it’s a bigger selling point than it is actually being used in my personal experience. To truly use that 2nd lens as a zoom lens you most likely will need to use a 3rd party app.

Although I like 3D Touch I really don’t use it as much as I’d think I would and the primary use case for 3D Touch I use it for, message notifications, has been ported over to the haptic touch version which from a users experience perspective is essentially the same thing.

Reactions: darksithpro

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

yes theyre doing it to make themselves feel better.
no theyre not correct.

I'm trying to follow your logic. If it's not an upgrade over the X, is it really an upgrade over the 8 Plus which has the same internals and better battery life than the X, and has a higher resolution LCD display than the XR, as well as 3D Touch, and a dual lens rear camera? I'm just saying, I don't really consider the X to be an upgrade over the 8 Plus, but pretty much the same phone in a different form factor. So if they're pretty much equivalent, the XR is either an upgrade over both or neither.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Wow you’re all so emotional about this! What other people purchase matters the world to me too!
Someday, I hope you find something you're passionate about enough that you're "emotional"

This is pretty tame overall.
[doublepost=1546911060][/doublepost]
I'm trying to follow your logic. If it's not an upgrade over the X, is it really an upgrade over the 8 Plus which has the same internals and better battery life than the X, and has a higher resolution LCD display than the XR, as well as 3D Touch, and a dual lens rear camera? I'm just saying, I don't really consider the X to be an upgrade over the 8 Plus, but pretty much the same phone in a different form factor. So if they're pretty much equivalent, the XR is either an upgrade over both or neither.
XR is an upgrade over the X, IMHO. Better battery life, bigger screen, better processor, faster FaceID.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Someday, I hope you find something you're passionate about enough that you're "emotional"

This is pretty tame overall.
[doublepost=1546911060][/doublepost]
XR is an upgrade over the X, IMHO. Better battery life, bigger screen, better processor, faster FaceID.

Better camera sensor and wide angle portrait mode pics too.

Reactions: AustinIllini

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

Fair enough, but I was asking someone who says it's not an upgrade over the X but is an upgrade over the 8 Plus to elaborate on their reasoning.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I have played with a XR the 3 times that I have been in Apple Stores since it launched. In my option after having an X for 13 months, I do not consider the XR an upgrade due to the OLED screen on the X, dual lens camera, more premium feeling for me, 3D Touch and smaller bezels. I’m not worried about the battery life on the XR, since my X can go 1.5 days on a single charge with moderate use. Also putting my X side by side with the XR, the XR is not much bigger than my X like the XS Max. Even though the XR display more on the screen than the X it don’t matter to me.

Once again in my opinion, Haptic Touch, aluminum casing, slightly bigger LCD screen, bigger battery and non-premium feeling is a non-factor to me. Case in point, if a XR was given to me, in no way would I use it over my X. Even a year later I love my X and despite the $1249 that I paid for it I don’t regret it one bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.