Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I'd think discovering an issue and getting is sorted out would be a GOOD thing. Isn't that what engineers kind of do? ;)

Yes, but when it is beyond your control(lack of physical RAM), you slow play it as long as you possibly can, like this person has experienced.

It's only good if you can fix it.

Last edited:

Ezhik

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
Cupertino (No, really)
Apple always pushes RAM on its devices to the limit. They've been doing it since the first iPhone. Unless they put more RAM in their devices, we'll still have to put up with this crap.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I seriously cannot believe that this is still an issue. I had this problem since the first generation iPod touch! HOW can Apple just keep ignoring this?? Google's Nexus 7, which is two times cheaper than the retina mini has two gigabytes of RAM! Apple has no excuse!

I would love to have the hardware in the Nexus 7 in the iPad. I'd just get the Nexus, except it doesn't run iOS, and Android is such a poor experience in comparison. On balance, I'd rather have iOS with 1GB of RAM than Android with 2GB. We'll just have to wait until Apple ups the RAM on the iPad.

atanu

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2014
One can probably disable the auto refresh feature of the inactive tabs.

Go to Settings
Tap on “Safari” from the list of applications
Tap on “Open New Tabs in Background”
Tap “OFF” option

DurfDiggler

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2008
One can probably disable the auto refresh feature of the inactive tabs.

Go to Settings
Tap on “Safari” from the list of applications
Tap on “Open New Tabs in Background”
Tap “OFF” option

This only toggles between "when I open a link in a new tab, it should '(ON)- stay on the current tab for now' -or- '(OFF)- immediately go to the new tab when it is opened'."
This does not solve the problem of iOS dumping the already loaded tabs just bc they are not the current tab, and reloading the tab when going back to them. iOS 8.1.1, problem still remains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.