Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Everyone's info appears to be based on this spec list that "leaked" before the keynote - but it has since been proven inaccurate: http://www.cultofmac.com/294449/shatterproof-water-resistant-full-iphone-6-specs/

Ya I saw that. Hopefully anyone basing their beliefs of 2GB RAM on this article has changed their mind or found some actual convincing evidence.

Well, I have a Note 3 (with 3GB of RAM) in addition to an iPhone 5s. On the Note, I use a memory manager and am forever closing apps or it starts to get sluggish. So, RAM isn't everything if the OS itself isn't efficient.

I have to do the same thing on my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7. Both have 2GB and pure Android with no bloat.

So long as the damned browser tabs don't refresh I'd be happy.

I agree, I hope this doesn't become a problem. But let me run with this statement a little.

When a tab is loaded in Safari, either the information on that tab is stored in RAM or it isn't. Whether you are on a 5s, 6, 6+, iPad Mini, or iPad, the amount of data stored on that website won't change. The device itself might have to upscale or downscale the page, but the resolution of images posted on the websites servers or total amount of data won't change based on screen size.

That is my understanding on the topic at least. Maybe someone with better knowledge of iOS and RAM management can correct me if I am wrong.

The reason I bring this up is because if that is indeed the way it works, do not expect Apple to include more RAM in the 6+. Apple has been giving Retina iPads, iPad minis, and iPhones the same amount of RAM for years because they deem it adequate/sufficient. If screen resolution made a huge difference in needing it for Safari tab reloads, Apple would have done it already for the iPad.

I am not saying that there are no reasons to add more RAM. Just that Apple's current track record makes me think it won't happen.

RKO1195

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
They would have said it would come with 2gb of ram if it did, no mention of ram means no ram upgrade more than likely. Apple Keynote

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
They would have said it would come with 2gb of ram if it did, no mention of ram means no ram upgrade more than likely. Apple Keynote

Apple never says anything about RAM ever when it comes to iOS devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.