Why do so many people seem to think the 6+ will have 2GB RAM???

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
I have seen no credible evidence supporting this, yet everyone seems to be saying it. I bought a 6+ and I'm super excited. But not a single part of me expects 2GB RAM because no evidence points to that.

Quu

macrumors 68030
Apr 2, 2007
Same. I bought the 6+ and I really don't see why it would have 2GB of RAM.

Where did this rumor begin?

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I have seen no credible evidence supporting this, yet everyone seems to be saying it. I bought a 6+ and I'm super excited. But not a single part of me expects 2GB RAM because no evidence points to that.
i agree, but the 6+ will more than likely have a bumped up RAM and i have no complaints at all.

munkydust

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
They've been working on these phones for a long time and wouldn't release something that wouldn't perform well due to lack of spending a couple more dollars on more RAM. I don't care if it has 2MB of RAM as long as it performs well.

AverageBob

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
We're just hoping we don't know. I'm not an expert but I'm thinking 2GB of Ram might help it run smoother because it also has the full HD display to deal with. I also hope that the tab reload issue is resolved asap whatever its cause, ram or not.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
I hope it does. To deal with all those extra pixels, the user experience is going to be pathetic if the A8 isn't running faster, and if there isn't more memory compared to the 6.

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
I just hope it runs well and not slow compared to the 6.
Lots of threads suggesting the massive pixel increase will make the 6+ seem juddery or slow, and it actually makes sense! Hopefully they have compensated with higher clock rate or something. I'd hate for a new "show off graphics" iphone 6 game/app to end up running slower on the 6+.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Until Apple make it public, or someone gets possession of, and tears down a 6 and a 6+, no one knows.

People are making themselves look silly by making specific statements about RAM as if it's a fact.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Until Apple make it public, or someone gets possession of, and tears down a 6 and a 6+, no one knows.

People are making themselves look silly by making specific statements about RAM as if it's a fact.
We'll know for sure on the 19th. I can already imagine how many youtube videos will go up of people taking the 6 and 6+ apart!

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Because many people who buy the 6+ have a need to feel superior to people who only bought a 6. The screen size and camera thingy just aren't enough to satisfy these maniacs. An extra gig of RAM, now that would launch them to the top of the iPhone pyramid.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Because many people who buy the 6+ have a need to feel superior to people who only bought a 6. The screen size and camera thingy just aren't enough to satisfy these maniacs. An extra gig of RAM, now that would launch them to the top of the iPhone pyramid.
haha. Love it. Thanks for the laugh!

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I'm betting it will have 2 GB of RAM, just like I bet the 5.5" was real and would debut at the same time as the 4.7" ;)

:apple:

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
I think most speculation about 2 GB of RAM comes from the fact that it has a higher resolution display. That doesn't necessarily mean it will require more RAM, but it definitely would help.

I don't care about specs as long as the user experience remains great. There have been times when Apple released products that were hindered by underperforming hardware. One example that comes to mind is the iPad 3, which had a retina display but did not have the hardware to perform well with it. I still have one of these and it lags and stutters a great deal, as well as force closing apps often (even after a full reset).

I think examples like that are minimal, so let's hope the iPhone 6 Plus is not one of them. I won't deny that I'm a bit concerned about RAM and perhaps the scaling required for the 1080p screen. But for now, I will give Apple the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best. If not, then it'll go back and I'll get the smaller one.