Why do so many Windows users dislike Safari and iTunes?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sven11, May 21, 2012.

1. Sven11 macrumors 6502a

Safari is definitely better and faster than IE and Firefox and there's nothing wrong with iTunes. So why?

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Probably because Apple's software for Windows is garbage.

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I do like Safari, even sometimes it doesn't work properly with certain websites that were designed for Internet Explorer.

However iTunes is very slow, and a little annoying from time to time to manage the different type of content.
    It grew from a Music management App to manage almost everything: Videos, Podcasts, TV shows, Movies, Books (can't read them), iOS Apps (can't run them), etc.

Its navigation GUI desperately needs a revamp, and sometimes is not as responsive as it should be.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

iTunes is garbage, through and through.

Safari is great on the Mac, borderline garbage on Windows.

You said Windows users. So there you have it.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I use Zune with my Windows Phone. Besides, I've never had iTunes open quickly, or close promptly.

Also, I see no reason to install Safari (+ Bonjour + Apple Software Update + Apple Crap for Windows) just so I can use a browser that's no better (and arguably worse) than IE.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Sorry you are being tonight to Safari there. Safari on windows being garbage would be a MASSIVE and I mean MASSIVE improvement.

For me my browsers go

Chrome, Firefox, IE 9, 8, 7, Huge drop then IE6, ANYTHING else then Safari.

Yes IE6 is by far better than Safari on windows. The only reason I even have it installed is for very limited testing.

iTunes is just bloated all around.

7. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Safari offers nothing that others don't. Even on OSX I don't consider it a first or even second choice. It simply average in every aspect.

iTunes is bloated, error filled, and slow. I still use it along side Zune, but if Windows 8 steps up the Music app a bit I'll probably abandon it completely.

Apple products on Windows are basically afterthoughts. They need work.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Safari isn't even better than Firefox or Chrome on the Mac.

9. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This.

I love my Apple stuff but iTunes is bad on Windows if you have large libraries. It goes the same for Microsoft products on Mac (like Office).

I appreciate both companies efforts to bring their software to other OS's but there is definitely some issues to address.

11. And macrumors 6502

And

I'm a mac user. I prefer Chrome over Safari, it's faster and uses less memory. I rip cds in iTunes and organise it myself in folders and play it in VLC, i can't stand iTunes. I don't listen to music on my iPhone, because I can't bear iTunes, i just use a drop and drag mp3 player. It isn't just windows users.

12. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

I have Safari on all my PC's, but I prefer Google Chrome or Firefox as the website requires. Chrome, alas, hogs PC memory with each new page opened (goto Task Manager to notice this) whereas Firefox doesn't; Safari has the that web-something-or-other program that often terminates unexpectedly when multiple tabs fill a window.

I always use iTunes, and cannot imagine an alternative that would work better, seeing as how my mobile devices are all Apple-branded anyway. Besides, I don't just listen to music. There are the extensive BBC podcasts and iTunes U material. Who presents all of that in one centralized access point? No one except Apple.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Safari is p**s poor on Windows. I used it up until I switched to Firefox which is just a powerhouse of a browser.

I do use iTunes on Windows too. Set up to copy my OSX library file so I can still access all my music in bootcamp.

14. Sven11, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012

Sven11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Safari was the first browser to score 100% on the Acid 3 test. Currently Safari 5.2 scores 370 points in HTML5. IE9 only scores 138 points. It is also one of the fastest browsers in SunSpider.

15. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

And yet despite all of that it still seems worse than Chrome and Firefox. If a browser feels sluggish, it can win all the benchmarks but I still won't use it. Chrome is screamingly fast and prettier to look at. That's why it won my heart. If something comes along and feels faster, id likely switch.

16. Queso macrumors G4

Where do you live? 2003? Any website that still designs primarily for IE really isn't worth visiting.

As for the OP's question, iTunes on Windows is crap. Utter crap. That's why Windows users don't like it. Safari on Windows is better than crap, but still far worse than both Firefox and Chrome. So why would anyone want to use it?

17. Sven11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chrome is faster than Safari, I agree. But in most benchmarks Safari is faster than Firefox.

18. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

Methinks everyone needs an upgrade. I've been using iTunes on Windows for years and it's just as fast and stable on Windows 7 than it is on OS X. I'm not sure what you people are talking about. It never crashes on me, even on Windows. And I have a POS Windows desktop.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's no comparison after using iTunes and Safari on the Mac. The windows versions are crap and yes I have the latest versions.

20. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I can't say I believe you. I've used iTunes on Windows and OSX for years now, and the Windows version is orders of magnitude worse than the OSX version. There are always different bugs, some are fixed, some linger. The current one that I've noticed (on about 7 different machines in the last few months) is pausing when I change a song. It doesn't sound that annoying, but it is. The program feels slow, lazy, and just unpolished. I have a mid range laptop from 2011 too, not some 2004 pos.

21. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

How recent do you want? I have a mid-2011 laptop (almost exactly 1 year old actually), and I installed iTunes to back up my girlfriend's iPhone before we jailbroke it. I just tried opening it, and I counted to 6-mississippi before it opened. And there's 0 songs in my library. 1/2 the time, when I try to close it, I have to click the x twice.

I've used iTunes on my PC with an iPod, since Apple was using Music Match Jukebox for iPod sync on Windows, it's maybe crashed once or twice, but it's far from a "good" program.

22. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

How did you manage? Did you think about slitting your wrists? 6 whole seconds? #firstworldproblems :rolleyes:

23. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

No one said it was a life or death situation, simply that it could be better. Or is computing the best it ever has to be, right now at this moment? Should we drop all developent of everything because this is as good as stuff needs to be for the rest of time?

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have not had the best experience using Safari and iTunes in windows. This was years ago though (years for iTunes specifically) and it could have improved.

25. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

It hasn't. If anything I'd say its buggier.