Why do some people prefer Tiger over Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by asdfTT123, Nov 16, 2007.

1. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

I'm a new Mac user and Leopard is the first Mac OS I've used extensively...I've read in these forums that some people actually prefer Tiger to Leopard...could someone provide me with reasons why? So far I've experienced excellent compatability, speed, and awesome features such as stacks and spaces at my disposal.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Probably because Leopard broke something that they need, like a 3rd party app. Or, Leopard changed the way something works, and they prefer the Tiger way.

3. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

i know someone that upgraded to leopard..then downgraded back to tiger..just because he hates stacks .. :eek:

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Wow, that's like upgrading your VW to a ferrari and then taking it back because you don't like the volume knob on the stereo.

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Tiger is rock solid, Leopard isn't quite there yet. What's wrong with some people wanting to use rock solid systems? At least I can wholeheartedly recommend sticking with Tiger for anyone who needs to ask whether to upgrade or not.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Is he a member of this bunch?

Some people just don't like things to change :)

7. Sptz macrumors regular

I went back to Tiger. At first I loved Leopard and was happy with it, but since M-Audio is taking so damn long to release drivers for Leopard (and I know they're slow), I really needed to use my soundcard to record so I went back to Tiger, and to my surprise, I noticed a big difference, the os itself seems lighter, and even the exposé animations are waaaaay smoother than on Leopard. I'm really preferring Tiger right now.

8. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I love Leopard too, but had to go back to Tiger because of airport kernal panics and the inability to use the net when I wanted.
    I was thinking about going back now with 10.5.1 out, but I'm just sick of reinstalls at the moment. I'll try it again in a week or so though.

9. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    I second that emotion - Although I might play with Leopard 10.5.1 at home over holiday next week, the only way it's getting on to our corporate network right now is if it ships with a new computer. Everyone is keeping 10.4.11 at least until the first quarter of next year.

10. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

leopard is basically buggy as its a new system.
    the problem for new mac owners is they cant downgrade back to tiger until leopard has all its bugs worked out.

Personally i cant see anything better in leopard apart from the speech function which i never use.

It seems like most of the new features are more so bloatware (ichat backgrounds etc) so for people who use a mac for work we cant afford to be part of a buggy beta style OS.

I would much rather have tiger on my laptop until apple gets to around 10.5.7
    But apple dont support this, and this is how they can make such deceptive anti pc ads (such as the PR one)

11. duyvan82 macrumors member

I'm quite shocked to find out that you cannot install Tiger on newer Macbook (SR).

12. n00basaur macrumors regular

13. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Because using Tiger while people struggle with Leopard is like being that "I'm a Mac" dude while the guy with glasses prays for patches and moans about all the new features he's too unstable to use. It "just works"!

14. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Because Adobe CS2 and a host of other apps don't work with Leopard yet (or never will, in the case of CS2). I can't switch unless I've got money to burn, which I don't.

Tiger works @ home and @ work. I'm a little concerned about bootcamp not being supported past 12/31/2007 under Tiger but other than that I have no reason to migrate to Leopard.

Cheers,

15. Hmac macrumors 68020

That's the key...."no reason to migrate". Leopard runs fine in my experience, but it's just another OS. It's not magic, and Tiger was indeed very functional and stable.

I loaded Leopard the day it came out. No problems on this Mac Pro or on my 2.4 MacBook Pro, except that the Super Duper people seems to be having a little problem getting their act together. Otherwise, Leopard has worked well on my machines since opening day, for video editing, still image editing, Microsoft Office stuff, internet, iTunes etc etc.

16. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Spaces, Time Machine, Stacks...

Useful things which really change how you use a computer and are useful in work environments.

Spaces and Time Machine most dominantly.

Spaces lets you have a clutter free work environment while you do something, and then let you go to maybe a hectic, packed environment with lots of things you need to do at once. I would say that that would benefit a work environment of some description.

And say you need several apps open but maxed out in full screen, yet using expose isn't that useful (An example I find is using Final Cut Express and LiveType at the same time since the app is made of separate windows and using expose can just make things more confusing) or if you don't have a mouse with more than one or two buttons.

Time Machine is useful for obvious reasons, and stacks lets you navigate to documents quicker and easier since you only have to click an icon on the dock to find what you want.

And there things like To Dos in Mail that makes Leopard more productive and so on. Leopard really caters to everyone in terms of useful updates. Sure, it may be bloat to some people but it could be a really useful feature for others and Apple does a good job at supplying for everyone. The average consumer AND the guy who needs to do serious work. It's not as bad as you most people think :)

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Stacks, Time Machine, etc. Are just little things to get people to upgrade. Same thing with Tiger. Dashboard, Spotlight, etc. Just little gimmicks.

The only time to upgrade, IMO, is when all (or at least 90%) of your 3rd party apps work on the next gen OS.

As for me, it's too expensive, plus a lot of my favorite apps don't work on Leopard yet.

18. heatmiser macrumors 68020

So true. The only reason I upgraded from Panther to Tiger on the iBook was because I couldn't run programs I wanted to run on Panther (Writeroom, Mozy, Skype in particular). If not for those, I'd have stuck with Panther. Now on Tiger, Spotlight is great (I used something like it on XP, and loved it there too), but Dashboard, while handy (the sticky notepad things are neat, plus the calendar and clock), isn't essential. The OS is just a nicer-looking version of Panther. Now, with Leopard, Time Machine has been available for a while as Super Duper (for pay) or Carbon Copy Cloner (for free!) in Tiger. Spaces, well, I'm not sure. In either case, though, I suspect there's very little one does differently from one OS to the next. Most of the people who use Vista do exactly the same things they did on XP, except it takes more memory and cpu cycles to do it. It's the same story with Leopard and Tiger, Tiger and Panther, XP and 2k, etc. 95% of the core stuff is the same; the only real *need* to switch, as you noted, is due to software compatibility.

19. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

20. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I'm actually downgrading to Tiger in about a week. On my iBook, Leopard runs much slower than Tiger, and it broke a lot of 3rd party apps; Leopard is also quite crash-happy, specifically Safari. Occasionally Safari will beachball and lock up my dock too; when this happens, the force quit dialog won't show, and cmd-tab won't switch apps. The only way out has been clicking on the open window of another application, at which point Safari crashes and the Finder relaunches. I have never had one application lock up my entire computer in OS X like this.

On another note, I'll say that I have used Leopard extensively on a Macbook as well, and it seems to runs much smoother (probably just due to the Core Duo) and is more stable on intel Macs. I had Safari crash a few times on the Macbook, but it doesn't lock up like it does on my iBook. Leopard is great for intel users, but for those of us with PowerPC Macs, I think Tiger is the best option.

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

What you have to understand is that for those of us who used Tiger, there was a long stretch where Tiger was almost hassle-free. All the bugs had been long worked out, apps had been tweaked (or in some cases premiered) to work for it, and it was an all-around consistent OS. However, all of that was due to Tiger's age. Tiger came out in April of 2005, which means that it has had over two years to be gradually perfected.

Leopard has had all of 2 months (and a few days) to be tested in the "real world." Naturally this means that problems will arise. I'm sure there will be plenty of old threads from April-June 2005 expressing rage and hatred at Tiger ("oh why didn't I stick with Panther," for example). Tis the nature of all things technologically new. Hence, an older OS can offer familiarity, consistency, and reliability.

Now, as for Leopard's features.

Time Machine: As of now, a mere extension of other programs, but important because it really makes backing up easier for those who don't seek out extras for their computers. I think Time Machine is a good idea not because it brings anything new technologically to the table, but because it will (or hopefully will) change backup habits (which are notoriously bad). However, there's nothing terribly "fantastic" about Time Machine in a "must have" sense.

Spaces: Again, an extension of other programs. However Spaces offers a similar advantage to users who don't seek out extras for their computers. It also helps those with smaller screens. Nice, but not a must for everyone.

Stacks: The most half-arsed attempt at innovation I've ever seen from Apple. Critical features are missing (ie, the ability to "Quicklook" from a stack), the interface is horribly implemented (opening a folder will merely launch a new Finder window, which is how it was before Stacks:rolleyes:), and without tweaking, a stack can be difficult to distinguish from other stacks (ie, they could all look like folders or documents). Now I believe one of the betas of Leopard had most of what I mentioned fixed, but for some reason it was not available in the final version for some reason. Hopefully we'll see it by .2.

Quicklook: The strongest case for Leopard. Easy to use, saves time, and has no down sides. However, if you have stability with Tiger, you certainly wouldn't waste time and money installing a potentially problematic OS for just one feature, especially one as minor as Quicklook.

Hopefully that explains why some of us prefer Tiger over Leopard (not that I do; I've had Leopard on since October and overall I'm pleased. Sure there have been problems along the way, but it hasn't been overly horrible for me).

22. djellison macrumors 68020

I don't like Spaces, I don't trust Time Machine, Stacks doesn't work anything like we were shown before release, Safari crashes dozens of times a day - dozens. I am less productive, more frustrated and less happy with my Mac using Tiger than I was using Leopard. That's just my experience. (No - this is not an upgrade install - it's a clean install)

Doug

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Spotlight is hardly a gimmick. I would say it's the most useful OS X feature I've come across since Jaguar.

In Leopard, the screen-sharing is currently my fave feature, along with bundled app updates, but I've got to do a little more digging to get the most out of what I've got here.

24. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

It's just human nature.

Go to any forum. When the new _____ is announced, you'll have a vocal group saying that the prior _____ is better.

Doesn't matter what forum. Mac OS X. Singer sewing machines. Carpet installation tools. In every group, everyone has adopted a "role", and one of the roles is denouncing the new stuff, magnifying its flaws, and iconizing the prior stuff.

You'll also have folks switching to the new stuff the moment the very grittiest of pre-release versions is available. That's a role. You'll have folks who spend inordinate amount of time in the Mac forum talking about how Linux is superior, in the Singer forum talking about how Kenwood is superior, in the carpet forum talking about how tile is superior. Another role.

And you'll see posts in each such as "I was going to get a Singer X3000 machine to embroider doillies, but I see a lot of posts saying I should (wait for SewFest 2008 when the new one is released/try to find a new in box X2900 without the autoloom/build my own sewing machine from scratch). Should I be worried?".

25. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

i'm thinking about returning to tiger because it seems to handle HD (1080p) MKV files through VLC/mplayer much better than leopard.

i.e. no 30 second lags. :rolleyes: