Why do some people rag on me for using a Mac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mtthwcmn1, Feb 3, 2012.

1. mtthwcmn1 macrumors member

mtthwcmn1

I am a Software Engineer and only run Windows 7 when I absolutely have to. I never tell people that I think Windows sucks because it is my opinion and have better things to do than to start a flame war. All of the Software Engineer's I know use Macs so they have every operating system at their disposal via parallels. They make fun of me telling me i'm an idiot for spending that much on hardware. Is it weird of me to only like using operating systems based on UNIX such as OS X and Linux distros. Personally I don't know how people can stand having to defrag and run AV constantly while not being as intuitive.

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

People are silly. They should just use whatever they want, but what gives you the idea that people still defrag Windows? This hasn't been much of an issue in a very long time. In terms of file systems, windows probably wins over HFS+ there. Apple tried to replace it once before, but their prime focus is obviously IOS these days.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Some people don't like or they fear what they don't understand or can't comprehend.

Macs are just a computer. Some people don't know that. Sure it runs a higher price tag than normal, but there are certain caveats that come with that price tags. Each caveat will be different and cater to each user that decides to buy a Mac. For me it was simply being able to use iLife Suite of applications and ease of iPhone (iDevices for that matter) syncing and set up.

A good developer (or software programmer) will code with anything that can run his environment. It's like the old saying goes, a rooster will crow anywhere.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'm confused. The software engineers you work with rag on you for using a Mac when they're using Macs too?

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

My Mac is the tool I use to do my job. The engineering group I work in respects all platforms.

The morale is so good, thanks to the companies prosperity & heavy work load, quibbling is absent from our environment.

It's something I truly appreciate :)

6. mtthwcmn1 thread starter macrumors member

mtthwcmn1

Not the people I work with, just friends and your average person.

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Because they want to be on the "Apple haters" bandwagon.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I see it all the time OP, and its funny because its often these same people who eventually come to me for help when something on their Win machine fails.

I work in IT for a living (although I'm trying to switch to software dev) and I fix Windows servers/desktops/and software and am surrounded by people (co-workers) who constantly bash on me for using a Mac one second, then come running to me for help when they can't figure out some Windows issue.

Sadly its not joking bashing either sometimes. I had a guy (from another department) walk in my office once, look at my Apple monitor and literally scream that I was "another one that sucked Steve Job's dick" and ran out. Highly inappropriate especially since I never said a word to the guy (and he's not to be coming in IT offices anyway).

The best thing is just ignore them. They'll get their little jabs in, but if you just stay quiet when they make a comment they'll realize they are over-stepping bounds and stop.

It does suck though because on the surface they're talking about an operating system, but deep down they are criticizing you for your choices even though in reality you made the best choice. The ability to run all OS's is a Godsend in software development.

9. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

People rag on others in an attempt to lower you to their level. Take it as a compliment, because it just shows their own lack of character and self esteem.

It goes both ways, too. Some Apple lovers rag on people who use other systems plenty, and it's the same deal... no class.

10. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Don't worry about their opinion. It's just theirs.
    Your opinion is based on your personal experience.

For one person a Windows OS is perhaps the solution. For you it could be something else.

Use what works, and works best for you.

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This.

Many times you will find the people doing the ragging never used a Mac. This has been true for me in 100% of the cases.

I have friends (and sadly ones in IT!) who only know one operating system (a bit shameful if you are in IT in my opinion) and still believe silly things like "Macs aren't compatible with things" or "Apple has a walled garden and you can't develop whatever you want for it", or "Macs have no right click" and other false ideas.

Chances are the same people ragging on you never used one.

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Some people are idiots.

Just tell them straight you're a software engineer so buying a computer that's *perfect* for you is a priority. The cost of a mac isn't that big of a deal spread over it's likely lifetime.

I'm a CS student myself and I use a MBP for the same reason. It does everything I need it to, nothing else does.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

14. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

because they're superficially jealous and/or pedantically moronic.

15. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I disagree with you.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Just ignore them and use whatever is best for you.

17. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Some people hate Apple. I have a friend who is exactly the same. I don't let it get to me, what's the point?

18. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Why do some people rag on me for using a Mac?

Immaturity

19. mtthwcmn1 thread starter macrumors member

mtthwcmn1

Thanks a lot chrono1081! I have had people who hated on my mac asking me what a motherboard and BIOS was. I just LOVE the ability to have all operating systems and OS X running natively. I also love how I only have one cable connecting my Mac.

20. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

21. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

It will be alive in 3012 too. We're still animals after all, we're just relatively smart animals with cool technology.

22. nec207 macrumors 6502

I wonder what their age is .I would think people in their 30's would be more like this.

Also if your girl they probably would not think any thing like that at all. There is still that stereotype that Mac computers are for girls and Linux for computer geeks and hackers . And windows for gamers and very masculine like people.

In college and university the trend is to have mac computers . If your in your 30's or in the IT line of work it is more windows.

Just saying age ,gender and what you taking takes a big part what people views will be.

23. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I had this constantly for two years during college...

My, "friends", would always be making snide remarks because I love apple, and they all used "proper computers" as they put it.

They used to flame me so bad about paying so much money for "low specs" when I "could have got twice the power for half the price" if I didn't buy a mac... But they just didn't understand I wasn't after good specs! I wanted a machine that was going to last me at least 6 years (through college and university), stable, and with everything I need already on it (I'm a massive iLife user).

They were all gamers, and failed to understand that there's a lot more to owning and using a computer than gaming :)

Funny thing is, talking of price, they all updated their graphics cards/processors two or three times during the two years of college, which cost them a lot... I haven't put anything else in my mac since I bought it and it's still just as fast.

I put it down to immaturity and ignorance.

24. macsmurf macrumors 65816

macsmurf

It's the same mechanism that makes you believe that running Windows sucks and that you have to defrag all the time.

BTW, I've been a mac user for a couple of years and I rarely hear any comments, good or bad, relating to my choice of OS. Then again, I don't live in the US so maybe we're just less religious about computers.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I like: You get what you pay for... ;)