Why do we have to wait till 500 posts to get an avatar?!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by tmanto02, Jun 14, 2012.

1. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Why do we have to wait till 500 posts to get an avatar?! :confused::mad:

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

It's an incentive and a reward for being an active and helpful participant in the community.

3. boomboom2 macrumors regular

I am slowly, but surely making my way up there haha.

4. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Ahh I understand. But at this rate it will take me 10 years!

5. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I understand why it's there but a lot of newbies who just post rubbish to get the number up, doesn't add anything to the discussion...

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There's a lot of veteran members that do that too.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you see posts that are clearly off topic or not adding to the discussion report them. A moderator will review and, if required, delete them.

8. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I suggest that the minimum posts be lowered, halved even.

9. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

If you actually have things to add to the forum it happens quickly enough, it helps knowing your stuff though.

----------

Thats what I have been doing recently, while it seems a little harsh I guess it's necessary.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This topic comes up frequently. As the number of posts has not been lowered in the past it seems unlikely it will be lowered now. If you wish to raise this with the site admins/owners then use the Contact Us form.

11. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

I have been here since 2003... and so far have a grand total of 243 posts LOL. Its not that I don't want to be an active and helpful participant... its just... I don't think anyone really has THAT much intelligent to say on the topic of rumors {smiles}.

I do read macrumors to learn what might be coming, and get some ideas from those that do know, but its difficult because the system encourages fluff commenting and I find maybe 1 out of 10 to be intelligent.

This of course does not apply to anyone here.

Now i am up to 244. Please do not delete me!

12. Razzerman II macrumors member

The more cynical amongst us might suggest that some people might use increased posts figures to attract more advertisers. One way to get us to do this is to 'incentivise' people into doing this.

Probably just me being too cynical though.

13. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

unfortunately, cynical for not, does have a certain ring of truth to it.

I get that people need to feed themselves, and so business is good, but meh.

----------

Just did. By referring to this thread. But yes it does come up frequently (wonder why?) and so I have to agree with your assessment.

post # 246. and hopefully climbing,

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I disagree, I think there's a lot to discuss here at MacRumors and if you look at active members history you'll see that many are very engaged.

We just don't discuss rumors but also current products, support, industry direction and non computer topics (in the community forum).

Avatars are an incentive and a reward for those who do spend time here interacting with other members and helping others out with support questions.

15. Razzerman II macrumors member

What about rewarding people for posting something useful / positive?
    Rather than going on pure post count (i.e. +1 brigade) make the post count linked to rated posts; positive posts counting towards to magic 500?

Just a suggestion.

16. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

If it makes you feel better, I've been here about 8 years and am only at 318 :)

17. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

Okay, well I guess if I didn't want to be dragged into a disagreement I should have stayed quiet, but I think you are missing my point. Which is to say 500 is a BIG number, and while I consider myself reasonably intelligent with something to offer (you can disagree LOL) I am not vain enough to think I have 500 intelligent things to say in any reasonable time period to get an avatar. I understand the incentive system. Not disagreeing with it. Just suggesting as others have that 500 is a big number.

And I don't think I should have to go to non computer topics to do it.

But feel free to disagree. smiles.

P.s. congrats on your avatar.

18. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I find it interesting that it takes so much longer for an avatar than to gain access to the marketplace forum. I'm not sure what exactly it is about an avatar that requires a higher trust level than money/goods exchanges.

Avatars are useful for eyeballing who posted a comment, I then reference my internal (trust/usefulness/accuracy/non-trollishness) scoring for that member as to how I rank/evaluate their posts.

19. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I suppose those of us who's post count is significantly higher (mine currently lists as 23,010 for example) don't really see hitting 500 as that much of a big deal. I've been a member for about 10 years so I have averaged 500 posts every 3 months or so.

Now I'm not going to claim that these have all be intelligent. No way!

20. tny macrumors 6502

And some of us who have been members for a very long time only post when we have something to contribute. Personally, I don't care what my classification is or whether I have an avatar. [edited]

21. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

23,010 is a mind boggling number to me, thats like 3 a day. I know I don't have 3 things worth saying a day. just ask my wife!

In fact, she would argue the only thing I ever need to say is 'yes dear'

well the good news is, while I am obviously not overly concerned with getting my avatar or whatever (I am an active reader but not poster), with this thread alone I have added significantly to my count. without having to be intelligent.

Got to go.

Yes dear.

22. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This is how the downward spiral towards a huge post count starts. Beware! :D :p

23. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

I know I know, but how else am I to become a valued contributing member of the macrumor community? Too much pressure!

24. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Join the [WW] and [EM] games, go post in the community discussion, comment on the news articles, get in some peaceful disagreement with someone about the usefulness of a retina display on a MacBook Air. All are things that can raise your post count, and it doesn't cost anything to do it.

25. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

Actually, I think I read recently that joining the games doesn't raise your post count at all. I mean, it does, but those threads are moved to wasteland when done and then the associated posts in them are removed from the post count.