Why do we still call our school teachers by their last name?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maclover001, May 25, 2009.

1. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

HEHE JA I KNOE

2. emmawu macrumors 6502

We always called our teachers by their surnames unless they were in a religious order then it was Sister or Father. They always called me by my surname with Miss in front of it. Boys were called by their surnames only.

3. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

I am now 43 years of age.

In elementary school, it was all "Mr. This" and "Mrs. That". My 6th grade teacher was Mrs. Philmon.

I went to a small quaker-oriented private school, for Jr High. We called teachers there by their first name. My favorite teacher there was Bob.

I then went to a college-prep high school where it was back to Mr., Mrs., and Dr. So-and-so, unless you were a senior and had one of Mr. Moore's classes, they you could call him "Wild Bill".

In college, my favorite professor was Omar. He insisted on all of his students calling him that. Omar was known to hang out in the local tavern with his students, to discuss course material in a more relaxed setting.

My 6th grade teacher found me on Facebook. I now call her Beverly.

4. Love macrumors 68000

Love

At my previous schools, our teachers would introduce themselves as first last, and then say you can call me Mr/Mrs.....

5. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

I teach High School and my students address me as doctor, since I have a doctorate. I don't ask them to they just do. I also adjunct at a college and my students call me Professor there.

6. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

thats where I tuned out.

7. geekgirl macrumors regular

When I was in school, elementary through high school, it was a given that all teachers, principals, custodians, lunch ladies, everyone was Mr./Mrs./Ms./Miss. It was a huge adjustment going to college and having professors and TAs called by first names. I worked in the Physics library during my undergrad years, and still called everyone Prof/Dr./Mr/Ms, even if they said "Call me ___", because honestly, I could not call Dr. Van Allen by his first name (seriously, would you have been able to???).

Grad school was weird, because when I was a TA I could not get my students to call me by my first name, nor make them understand that I was neither a professor, nor married. I finally gave up, and let them call me Professor Girl, or Mrs. Girl. It was easier that way.

After I got my graduate degree, and began working for the same university, it took a long time before I was comfortable using professors' first names (except those that had become good friends). Finally, though, I realized that by continuing to use Prof/Dr., it was causing new faculty to misunderstand my position. Calling everyone (except the Dean of course!) by their first names has helped tremendously.

Of course, visiting professors and higher-ups are always President/Dean/Dr/Prof/etc unless they specify first names. :D When in doubt, always use the title! ;)

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I went to school in the UK. Up to GCSEs, we used ma'am and sir. From 6th Form onwards (16+), including university, we used first names. I returned to school recently, but in the US. I was surprised that despite Americans' beliefs to the contrary, people are more formal here.

The whole respect argument falls dead with me. If the only way you can command respect is through your name, then you may not deserve as much respect as you believe.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

A name is not the only way to command respect, but it is one way to show respect.

There's a distinct hierarchy in a learning institution, whether it's grade school, high school, college, or otherwise. The teacher is in charge in the classroom and holds a higher position than the students; the use of Mr. or Mrs. in this case is entirely appropriate. It really isn't much different from organizations which use ranks, like military or police; the practice of addressing someone by rank, or "sir/ma'am" is part of recognizing that hierarchy.

10. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Not trying to be a smartass, but what does someone born in the 90s know about pre-1960s?

11. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I don't really agree. To insist that students use your family name is asking for respect, it's got nothing to do with showing respect. Of course, there are situations when you need to defer to family name, but a classroom isn't one of them.

The analogy with the military etc. is precisely the reason that last names shouldn't be used in education. Education isn't, or shouldn't be, a hierarchy. I find it immensely offensive to be asked to kowtow to someone who feels they are of some greater importance so I typically do not unless there is some pressing reason.

There are ways of learning and showing respect in an educational setting that do not require recognition of a hierarchy. I have never allowed my students to use an honorific with me. Hierarchies are bad!:D

12. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

What about the possibility of showing respect for someone's position or role as opposed to showing respect for them as an individual. For example, when I get pulled over by an officer of the law I try to be respectful in how I address them and I don't know anything about them personally. They may not deserve my respect in terms their personal life/choices, but I do have respect for their profession. And before you ask, of course I've never been "pulled over" in my life... ;)

13. maclover001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maclover001

I pay attention in history class.

14. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Once you graduate, you can call them by their first name.:cool:

15. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Note the hedge of a "pressing reason'! There are plenty of people out there who have more power than us and want us to know it every second we are in their presence. I do believe in tact!

16. Rosalinda12021 macrumors newbie

Rosalinda12021

now look who's rude. Stop being prejudice before giving advice.

17. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I’m sure you are aware this is an 8 year old thread, not that that in itself makes it unappropriate for you revive it, but the person you replied to has not posted in 4 years. :)

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Holy necro-thread Batman!! This is a 9 year old thread!

19. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

You mean, show respect?!?

20. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

When I saw that this thread had been revived almost nine years after the last post, I was sort of hoping for an update from the initial poster, who must be out of college by now.

21. chown33 macrumors 604

Old enough for 4th grade?

22. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I love it when people resurrect a really old thread that I was a part of. I get to look back and see if what I said was okay or just plain dumb. :D

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I haven't seen you in a looooooong time

24. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I'm still around old friend. Life has taken some ups and down and that has limited some of my online presence, but I still check MR several times a week.

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Hopefully we can have you back fully with us. I miss your posts tbh :)