Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Granted, this is one of the biggest Mac forums on the web, but just hang in there. I hear a lot of people complaining about Windows like it's the most evil thing ever created. Now, of course, Windows has it's faults, but so does OS X. What bothers me the most is how much people hate on Vista. As I said in an earlier post, I don't hate Vista, I just think it's kind of slow. I really hate how much people hate on an OS when it seems they don't get the chance to fully appreciate it to its full extent. So just post why you hate Windows, or why you don't. I'm (as I said before) especially interested in posts regarding Vista.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Are you going around and just creating threads for the sake of creating threads? All this information is already out there, go read. :rolleyes:

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I don't hate Vista, I just find that for most things it takes significantly longer to do than in OSX. I also have yet to find anything (that I do, I don't play games) that Windows does better than OSX.

Consequently I'm not totally sure why I have a 40GB partition on my hard drive for Vista, but I like to play around in it every once in a while.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
M$ intern doing market research maybe?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I found that I spent too much time tweaking/fixing/convincing the computer to do what I wanted it to, and I ended up reinstalling windows every few months.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
I dont hate windows, i use windows daily..i just prefer to use OSX for internet related stuff, and a few other apps i can run on windows

and i love my MBP best laptop ive ever had

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Are you going around and just creating threads for the sake of creating threads? All this information is already out there, go read. :rolleyes:

I find it slightly weird that you know I've created a few threads that had already existed and I just forgot to search for them. There's over 300,000 people on this forum, right? Kind of weird that you happen to notice me.

He must be working for the Mojave Experiment.

From what I just saw about that, the Mojave Experiment seems really cool. I guess I just like psychological experiments like that.

M$ intern doing market research maybe?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Yeah, I wish I had a job like that at the age of sixteen.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I find it slightly weird that you know I've created a few threads that had already existed and I just forgot to search for them. There's over 300,000 people on this forum, right? Kind of weird that you happen to notice me.

Cause it is very easy to notice when two threads with the same poster show up in the same forum within 5 minutes of each other about a similar topic. :rolleyes:

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I don't hate Windows. I have my main PC dual boot 98 SE/XP, and I have various other older PC's running 3.1 through 2000.

What I don't like about it, is how unstable it is. Applications crash constantly, the system slows down to an almost unusable state very frequently, and the boot up and shut down times are unreal.

Vista, I've only used a few times. Seems like every other version of Windows, just "prettier."

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Cause it is very easy to notice when two threads with the same poster show up in the same forum within 5 minutes of each other about a similar topic. :rolleyes:

Good point. I thought you were stalking me! (yes, through a Mac forum ;))

186,329, but who's counting?

Sorry, I thought I had read a little while back that there were over 300,000. My mistake. Ironically, 5 minutes before reading your post, I read the number of users on the site.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I would like to apologize for this thread; though many of the opinions I have read suggest that people automatically hate on Windows, it seems that many people like the OS and actually prefer it. That being said, I just hope that none of you think any less of me for starting this thread (and yes, I know this is an internet forum where probably none of the members know me unless he/she was specifically introduced to me on here).

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Who cares what people think of you for starting a thread? Not much you can do about it. I'm just happy for an excuse to vent about windows... :D

Why do I hate on Windows? Let me count the ways...

1. The HOURGLASS :mad:
2. Registry :confused:
3. dll's :rolleyes:
4. drivers :mad:
5. Plug and Pray :eek:
6. Boot time :mad:
7. Virus scanning - the cure is worse than the disease :(
8. Viruses - the cure was only slightly worse than the disease :eek:
9. Microsoft - too big - too detached - too rich - too monopolistic - too powerful - too arrogant - too far above the law :mad:
10. Windows Genuine (and all the rest of M$ DRM) :mad: :mad: :mad:
11. Windows ME (there should have been a class action lawsuit over this debacle) :eek:

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Who cares what people think of you for starting a thread? Not much you can do about it. I'm just happy for an excuse to vent about windows... :D

You make a good point there, about what people think. Though I am with you, I love to hate on Vista too (I did it a lot more before, when my dying hard drive (I didn't know it was doing that) was causing a whole load of problems for me).

Why do I hate on Windows? Let me count the ways...

1. The HOURGLASS :mad:
2. Registry :confused:
3. dll's :rolleyes:
4. drivers :mad:
5. Plug and Pray :eek:
6. Boot time :mad:
7. Virus scanning - the cure is worse than the disease :(
8. Viruses - the cure was only slightly worse than the disease :eek:
9. Microsoft - too big - too detached - too rich - too monopolistic - too powerful - too arrogant - too far above the law :mad:
10. Windows Genuine (and all the rest of M$ DRM) :mad: :mad: :mad:
11. Windows ME (there should have been a class action lawsuit over this debacle) :eek:

Number five is clever, and I agree with you on number 10 with my whole heart. I hate how you have to provide a product code to freshly install the system, among other such problems with DRM.

I just realized something I hate about Vista. Maybe it's just my computer, but there was a time when I was converting several AVI files to MPEG for my iPod. For some reason, about half never opened in iTunes. Again, I don't know if it was Vista's fault, my computer itself, or just iTunes, but it sure was a pain in the but. Plus, I used to have 5+ minute boot times, which for some reason stopped after I error-checked the HD and then later installed a new one.

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
Reasons:

1. It's not UNIX.
  2. I have principles. Check out the Halloween documents.
  3. Ballon tips. Irritating.
  4. UAC. Irritating.
  5. A re-install is eventually required. The registry gets itself into such a mess.
  6. Wizards everywhere.
  7. Product activation. Tired of having to call MS and retrieve an activation number.
  8. Restart, or Restart later dialog box. No way to cancel it completely. Pops up every 15mins. Extremely annoying. You might leave your machine running during the night to download something and wake up to find that it has rebooted itself without your permission.
  9. I hate the search dog.
  10. UI is a complete mess. E.g., Shutting down is a nightmare. Control panel, especially the networking area is a mess.
  11. No UI to turn off the IR receiver. No UI to turn off the IR service. So I had to put tape over the IR sensor on my wife's laptop so that I don't accidently turn off her laptop when I switch on my Xbox!!!!!
  12. A general, deliberate, lack of compatibility with open standards.
  13. WGA. How much **** do I have to install to download a simple utility from the MS download site.
  14. Viruses.
  15. Boot time. Waking from sleep. Both are very slow.

To sum up, using Windows is just irritating. I feel like I no longer have control and Windows likes to nag me about anything and everything (e.g., unused icons on your desktop). Windows 2000 was fine. Windows XP was a lot worse. Vista is horrific.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
I've had a lot of experience with Windows, and it's never been intuitive. Most versions up to 2000 are clunky, slow, and impersonal, while XP and Vista have tried to solve those issues by adding 'helpful' features (balloons, wizards, redesigned apps & settings, the wireless panel, that god-awful screen in Vista that darkens it with a security risk) that only complicate things and get in the user's way. Also, viruses are a big minus, and the hardware vendors themselves are annoying (from their poor exterior designs to trashing your Desktop with AOL trials.)

For the amount of Windows I use (which is just checking my e-mail through IE and finishing up an essay on the computers in my school's library), I'm fine with it, but I could never make it my primary OS at home again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.