Why does Apple hate HDMI?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DVD9, Sep 4, 2010.

1. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

What is it with Apple and HDMI? Apple does not even manufacture their own dongle to connect a Mac through HDMI. And doing so is no joy. Here is the instructions for using a $35 Moshi dongle:

1. Connect the HDMI cable (not included) via Moshi's Adapter to your TV or AV receiver's HDMI port.
    2. Turn on your TV or AV receiver.
    3. Open "System Preferences" on your Mac, open the "Sound" option in the "Hardware" category.
    4. Click on the "Output" tab and change selection from "Internal Speakers Built-in Output" to "Built-in HDMI Output".
    5. Open the "Displays" option in the "Hardware" category to select the appropriate display resolution.
    6. Click on the "Arrangement" tab and check the "Mirror Displays" selection.
    7. Once configured, you should be able to feed both video and audio streams to your TV or AV receiver.

Gee, that's all I have to do? Every time I want to connect my MBP to a plasma or audio receiver? This is consistent with the "It just works" concept?

Check out this mess at Amazon concerning an inexpensive mini-display port to HDMI adapter:

HDMI Nightmare

You would think that Apple would be embarrassed by this. $1200- at the low end for a MBP, and then you have to confront this headache to use HDMI, which the whole world is using.
    --

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

they don't hate HDMI lol
    look at the new mac mini if you want evidence.

3. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

Ummm... I don't have to do any of that. I just plug it in and it works. Am I supposed to do all that?

4. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I am guessing this is why they are trying an HDMI port with the Mini then.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

DisplayPort is actually a lot better than HDMI. It supports analog signals and nowadays audio as well. The best thing about it is that it's license free while HDMI isn't

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

quoted you just for the sake of quoting you, nothing more to add to that :)

7. Covart Guest

Apple TV has it as well and I'd be willing to bet that starting in 2011, all Mac computers and related products will have it.

[​IMG]

P.S. I just plug my MBP into my TV and it works. No problems.

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The reason for all the steps, is that sometimes the preferences get screwed up, and the computer doesn't auto switch. I have the issue from time-to-time with USB speakers, where I have to manually switch them. 90% of the time, you will connect your adapter and it will 'just work', 9% of the time you will have to follow these steps, and 1% of the time, the steps won't work, and you'll have to disconnect, then reconnect, and then repeat the percentages.

TEG

9. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

What adapter/cable do you use?

10. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

The 2006 ATV had HDMI as well

11. Covart Guest

Normal HDMI gold cable and then a MDP to HDMI adaptor I bought off e-bay that utilizes the audio for 2010 MBP's. I have a 42" Hitachi Plasma and a cheap 42" HTC LCD that I use with my computers. No problems connecting with either.

12. snowblader13 macrumors newbie

That is all one way to do it, But there is a really easy shortcut to change the sound faster, just these steps.

1. Plug in Moshi HDMI Adapter
    2. "option" click on the volume icon on the menu bar
    3. Select your TV from the list (this will change the sound output)

This is all i have to do every time, sometimes it remembers the sound settings so i do not even have to change it. I have never had it forget what resolution that i have it set to, and i jump between 720p and 1080p alot.

It is possible that your TV does not send out its information through the HDMI cable, and this is why it never remembers any of the settings. When you are looking at the Sound settings does it show your TV Model name, or Manufacture? (see attached image)

Hope this helps

Attached Files:

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I think dell's Bruce Montag, yes, DELL, says it best:
    So I highly doubt HDMI will be coming to "a mac near you" in the next year.
    With that said, one can deduce that perhaps apple assumes it's users don't connect to displays often enough to where displayport -> dvi or vga is inefficient, so voicing your concern may be a good option to get things rolling in the future.
    Though people who wanted to be able to use composite/s-video with their new macs have been barking up that tree for a long time and so far, nothing :D

14. DVD9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, maybe my coffee isn't strong enough. I read the quote from the Dell guy and I don't see any need for DisplayPort. HDMI however, that is ubiquitous. Why Apple refuses to accommodate it's customers needs on this obvious issue is apparently another mystery that can be joined alongside "Why is every computer shown in a movie or TV show an Apple?"
    --

15. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I think display port is better because it is ONE port. Thus allowing you to pick out various adapters to hook into it. Thus taking up only one spot.

My Windows computers have HDMI as well as a bunch of other Display Ports. Some of them I never even use.... they are a waste of space.

At work I can connect my MBP to a projector using an adapter from the Display port. If I had a HDMI port... I wouldn't be able to hook it up at all.... or I would be sacrificing a USB port for a HDMI port instead.

16. M-B-P macrumors regular

I actually just purchased this adaptor with a $5 HDMI cable and it works perfectly fine - Video AND Audio - with my Samsung and Sony TV. However I was having some trouble outputting the audio with my cousin's LG tv. That is where I first tried using it so maybe it was just me b/c I played around the audio settings in system pref. to get it to work. So give it a try b/c it is a VERY good price and it does work. Check this out: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=10887495#post10887495
    I got both the adaptor and HDMI for ~$10 (i found a 15ft cable) vs the ~$50 you have to spend at the Apple store (for a 6tf cable and an adaptor)

17. ohheyitskeil macrumors newbie

BestBuy sells a MDP-HDMI adapter that supports audio under their Dynex brand for $19.99. Honestly I don't think that's too much to spend in order for your computer to output video to almost any monitor/TV made in the last 10 years.

Now, the price of HDMI cables is a different story... I'm glad I can get a 6' cable through Verizon for $10. I'm not about to drop $29.99 on the same exact cable at BB.

18. DVD9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, but MBP buyers just spent $1200/$1800/$2300 on a laptop and there's no HDMI jack.

Why? I don't even know what I would use a DisplayPort for other than to plug in a mini-DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter.

This is "Think different?" In any other area of life those who think like this are classified as idiots.
    --

19. Covart Guest

The real issue with Apple is it's inability to see through the customers eyes. I a bunch of nerd developers makes a product, it is great, but only to a select few.

YOU GET apple to have multiple points on product development ranging from 5 year olds, to teens, to college students, to singles just out of college and finally with professionals. You take all that input and review it all. Throw out the crap and see what is left. If it makes sesne, make it happen. How hard is that?

20. yk2366 macrumors member

I was just wondering, why don't they make a HDMI jack fitted to the size of what Apple has on the Macbook Pro? it's smaller and it works. :confused:

Also, does anyone know how to watch videos on TV on maximum screeen (so it fills the whole tv screen) without it automatically minimizing when I tried to use my Macbook Pro? I was told you are able to use your computer while watching a video through HDMI but when I try to click around my comp, the video screen automatically resizes

21. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Doesn't sound like you read Dell's stance on Displayport, if you had you wouldn't have written what you wrote here. You should take a look at Dell's Precision line of notebooks, they don't have an HDMI port, they have a Displayport and those notebooks range from $1700-$3500. The Precision line is the only line in Dell that a Macbook Pro compares to, not those cheapo Dells that have a HDMI port. Apple doesn't position the MBP as your everyday surplus cheapo notebook. At first I wondered why they chose displayport but after understanding the technology behind it, it's far superior to HDMI, plus I can hook up many different adapters to it depending on what I am connecting it to, which is what HDMI doesn't do.

22. Fuchal macrumors 68020

DisplayPort has an advantage over HDMI in that it is royalty-free, while the HDMI royalty is 4¢ per device and has an annual fee of $10,000 for high-volume manufacturers.

(see Wikipedia)

23. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Go to ebay and buy the adapter for $5 and stop complaining, the Mini Displayport port takes up far less space than an HDMI port and has more options. I have the VGA adapter from Apple and an HDMI adapter I got off ebay and both work great for what I need and yes the first time you use the HDMI adapter you have to set up the computer to output audio and every time since then the computer has always recognized the adapter and automatically sent the audio out through HDMI. Dont listen to the crap reviews on ebay or amazon, all HDMI adapters will output audio as long as the laptop supports it, 2010 models. Many people that post the reviews just hear the words audio and macbook pro and assume they all do it and then bash the cheap adapters because they dont work and drive you to spend $35 on the Moshi or Griffin adapter when the $5 ones work fine.

24. DVD9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did read the Dell quote and I don't see the guy's point at all.

As for the Precision line, that is marketed toward business, not the general public. Same thing with HP's Elitebook line which also has DisplayPort and not HDMI. I think Dell and HP are both wrong on that given the price they charge. HP has a VGA jack. Clearly that should be an HDMI.

Even so, are you claiming that Apple manufactures the white, childlike in appearance Macbook for the general public, and the MBP line is for business?

Now what would I plug in a DisplayPort cable to other than a dongle?

Panasonic 58" Viera Plasma: HDMI jacks: Three. DisplayPorts: Zero
    Sharp - Quattron / 60" LED-LCD HDTV: HDMI jacks: Four. DisplayPorts: Zero

And on it goes with flat panel TVs.

I just bought a Canon Rebel T2i DSLR. It has a mini-HDMI port, it has no DisplayPort. Is my camera too cheap for a DisplayPort? Well, the Canon EOS 5D Mark II, which has been used to make at least two feature films that I know of, has an HDMI port, but no DisplayPort.

Perhaps Canon does not "Think different?"

Nikon D3s ($5,199) has HDMI port, but no DisplayPort.

Pioneer - 770W 7.1-Ch. 3D Pass Through A/V Home Theater Receiver. I see six HDMI ports, no DisplayPort.

So I know what to do with an HDMI port. Now, besides dongles, what would I connect a DisplayPort to?

And while we're on the subject of practicality and the meaning of "Think different", why does Apple still use the obsolete Firewire 800 when the rest of the world has moved on to E-SATA, which is faster. I own an external 1TB drive that has ports for USB 2.0, Firewire 400, and E-SATA (this being best in class until USB 3.0). I have no need for Firewire 800, which is quite scarce and virtually extinct.

Ditch the Firewire 800 port and make one USB into a USB/E-SATA combo and there's room for the HDMI.
    --

25. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

I would honestly have a conniption if they ditched FW800.

I don't think they will, since the eSATA interface is not as cheap as USB and FW. The USB/FW is also effective and much more universal.

</thread hijack>