Why does Canada have...?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wrinkster22, Nov 16, 2013.

1. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

No selection
    Today I went to best buy. They don't have the smart cases for the mini, they don't have the iPhone 5 or 5c cases and they barely have any selection. This is in an affluent area of Toronto. How come when people in the US live in areas that are fairly secluded (small towns) seem to have more stuff.

Higher Prices
    Back when our dollar was better then the USD we had to pay more for stuff then you did.

Lack of Recognition
    As much as I hate Justin Bieber he is a huge celebrity. When books about him were published it said his hometown was Ontario. Thats like saying Obama's hometown is the state of Hawaii. Ridiculous!

High Cost of Living
    You would be hard pressed to find a house in Toronto that is detached for less then a million dollars. When I went to Nashville on a tour bus half were Canadians and the other half US citizens. When they drove us to the celebrity's houses the guide was pointing out the "million dollar homes". They were 10k sqf!

/end of rant/

2. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Canada has an abundance of beautiful intelligent women. And I stress the word intelligent.

Other than that ........ Ummm ..... They have snow and universal healthcare.

4. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

That healthcare we pay dearly for. 50% income tax, 13%GST, gas is $4.92 a gallon, land transfer tax, etc.

5. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

I love hearing Americans (especially now with all the Obama Care crap going around) say how the US should be like Canada and provide free health care. Nobody realizes that taxes are what makes it "free". In the end, Canadians are probably paying just as much as Americans who have health insurance plans, if not more. I live in the US, and I try to explain this to people and they don't understand.

6. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

Except Canadians don't receive hospital bills in the mail for things that their insurance is supposed to pay for but decide they don't want to pay for, even though you pay an obscene premium every month. And in Canada people who have low income don't have to worry about being sick. If that means a tax rate of 50% then I think it's worth it.

7. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

How often do you visit a hospital?

8. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

Why is that relevant?

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Debunking Canadian health care myths

10. malman89 macrumors 68000

11. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Wrong, do you have experience in this? They still try to submit ambulance bills and such. We pay an extreme premium, ad 13% to the cost.

I have never had to go other then when I was born and visiting people.

Want to talk about the other points?

12. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Rhonda Hackett of Castle Rock is a clinical psychologist.

What the heii does she know about Canadian health system? I could understand if she was a physician.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Sure

There's your problem. You went to Best Buy.

I used to live in a small town, it wasn't even that secluded, it was right off an interstate and a college town. But if Wal-Mart didn't have it, you weren't getting it unless you ordered it online or drove 100 miles to a bigger city. Small towns usually don't even have Best Buys.

iPad Air 16 GB in Canada: $519 CAD = $496 USD. It's 3 dollars cheaper up there.

The target audience of a book about Bieber is a 12 year old girl who's clearly lacking a few brain cells because she likes him in the first place. If you say his birthplace is London, Ontario, they're going to get confused and think he was born in the UK. No one's ever accused Beliebers of being good at geography, so keep it simple and say Ontario.

That's Nashville. The midwest. Home prices in the midwest are cheap. Take a look at home prices in the Bay Area or New York, they're going to be on par with Toronto home prices. Likewise, I bet a million bucks would get you a ballin' home in Saskatoon.

Awesome

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Actually going to agree with this.

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Do you even know what a clinical psychologist conists of? Insurance pays for mental health and medications needed for it as well. I'll definitely pay more attention to her opinion than those who are not even in the field.

16. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I hate to break your bubble.

But Americans generally pay twice what every other nation in the world pays for in healthcare. And the care is more often than not inferior to 1st world UHC systems.

17. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Ah, but I deal with people well above her pay grade on a regular basis. Yes I am in the medical profession. Not at her level. But comments like hers are best left to Medical Directors and Associations.

18. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

19. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

With better healthcare? And less crime?

20. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Yes. Believe it or not.

21. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Canada is an interesting place... the first time I went over there, I thought there was no reason to keep it a separate country? Everything about the drive from Detroit to Toronto was much like the United States...

Canada has a lot of natural resources and their army is not match for some of the US's large police departments. The US could roll in and take Ottawa in 2 hrs.. And there wouldn't be a need to spill blood and treasure securing oil & resources from the scattering of despots, dictators and terrorists all over the world.

But then, I went to Quebec.. which is like Europe with American SUV's and trucks trundling around. And the people try to speak French?? Then I got it.. Canada is indeed different.

:D

22. wrinkster22, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013

wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I am talking about when our dollar was higher then yours. We were paying more then you were.

Um, Bieber was born in Stratford and not London If an American celebrity's biography was published (a kid celebrity) they would not say hometown- North Dakota.

Except for NYC, and the Bay area homes are very cheap. Saskatoon is not a big city. Chicago is roughly the same size as Toronto and houses are about 400k. Do you know what 500k gets you in parts of Toronto? A 500sqf studio condo.

Okay so you pay more money for healthcare but we pay so much more then you for everything else. Your gas is cheap, your clothes are cheap, your sales are amazing, your homes are cheap.

Canada is a lot different then the United States. It as a much larger European influence.

Yeah I admit Canada has a tiny army. Then again they don't really need a huge one either seeing as they don't have the money to get involved in wars.

Yes Quebec... Thats another can of worms.

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I recommend this iphone case available online and available in different colors! :)

[​IMG]

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So does every other country. Perhaps prices are higher because of import duties or taxes.

Wikipedia says he was born in London. But really, who gives a flying ****, it's Justin Bieber. I question why you're reading books about Justin Bieber in the first place.

Maybe more people just want to live in Toronto than Chicago. It's supply and demand. Demand goes up, supply goes down, prices go up.

Also remember that the US housing market was greatly affected by the 2008 economic crisis while Canada fared relatively well. Our market is still recovering, resulting in home prices being the lowest they've ever been. You should be happy that your country's economy didn't tank like ours.

25. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Seems you want to move here.

Want to swap places? :)