Why does it seems no one wants a 7" ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by buddgeez, Jul 14, 2012.

1. buddgeez, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

buddgeez macrumors member

All over I see people saying how there is no need for a 7' iPad. Honestly a smaller iPad would be great. Because some people like to carry their tablets around and 9.7 is too big for some people. And everyone keeps comparing a 7inch iPad to the ipod touch. These are two totally complete things. If someone wanted a 7inch iPad they wouldn't buy a ipod touch right? And what about children? A parent might want to give their child a iPad but maybe a smaller one. Also Steve Jobs said" there is no good 7inch tablet", but honestly if apple makes it, then im sure it'll be pretty good. Ok so I know this may sound like a rant more than a question but do you think its a good idea? Why or why not? If so what price range do you think it'll be? I was thinking $300-$350 maybe, just maybe, with a very small percentage, $250

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

3. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

It will not be significantly cheaper than the original - Apple will not market something for low margins and the costs are not significantly less to manufacture.

4. thelead macrumors 6502

because just like every other opinion they have, they want to shove it down your throat. Their opinion is the end all be all. You just haven't realized it yet.

Seriously though, if one comes out and you don't want one, don't buy it. Stop spewing your opinion and enjoy your current iPad.

5. number84 macrumors 6502

If it comes with 3G/LTE I'll happily buy one. The iPad 3 is just too big to carry around. We need another one in the house anyway.

If wifi only I'll pass.

6. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I was laughing along with one of the bloggers on youtube. He said "have you noticed that screen on tablets are getting smaller while mobile phone screens are getting bigger?" Why? Why is this necessary? I don't see why Apple needs to market a smaller iPad when the current one is selling. Selling very well too. I can't think of a reason why I want something smaller than a DVD player. The reason I got an iPad was because the screen was bigger than a portable dvd player. The perks of traveling with a bigger screen is endless.

I love carrying mine around. Inside my Timbuk2 Flex sleeve it feels like a small book. Sorta like a notepad. A lot lighter than bringing along a MBP or MBA. All my notes and info is housed inside this unit. When I need to share, its easy for two people to view at one time. I can't see it getting any smaller.

The same with the iPhone. Too many people thinking it should have a bigger screen etc. I always think of the iPhone like the Motorola Razr. Both changed the game. As did the iPad. And the razor kept its size for years. Only changing the software. The market for iPad accessories and iPad is full. I don't see them adding another gadget to the pool.

7. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

I have an iPad 3. I'll be in line to get my little girl a 7" iPad (so daddy can have his back, lol)

8. jomo25 macrumors regular

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm betting you'll get stuck with the 7 inch one while your little girl hangs onto the bigger and better iPad. ;)

10. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

Fact! She plays on the iPad while I'm stuck with the iPhone.

11. plucky duck macrumors 6502

My niece is always on her iPad, and manages it very well, size is not an issue even for a 5yr old kid. Though smaller size would suit kids' use better.

12. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

I don't understand why making those compromises is a problem? It's not like the full sized iPad is going to be discontinued.

People who have a desire for the smaller size can get one, people like you and me can have the larger size and not have to compromise.

Quite honestly, if the price is right, I may pick up one or two of them. I love my full sized iPad, but a smaller one would be better for reading. Additionally, my GF likes to use it, and so does her daughter. At $500+ I'm not going to buy extra iPads to keep around just for sharing, but at $199-$299 I'd definitely pick up at least one mini version for when they're at the house. Having it as a dedicated reading device would be an added bonus.

13. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Me to haha!!! My daughter loves the big screen :D

14. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

I don't give a s...t about a 7" iPad or similar sized tablets from other brands. They are something in the middle between a tablet and a smartphone that looks mostly useless TO ME.

15. cube macrumors G5

- Galaxy Note-sized phone
    - A4 iPad

Those are the 2 things required.

16. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I remember a million threads of people claiming no one wanted or needed the iPad and it was just a big iPhone and would never sell.

17. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Just wait till Apple release the thing, if they do. Wait a few months and ask the same question ;)

18. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I just think that there's no point in Apple making a mini iPad. As discussed heavily in another thread, and pointed out above, it involves a lot of compromises. Here are a few examples:

• No room for a (near) full-size keyboard like on the 9.7" model.
    • Less room for components, especially the battery. Although the display would draw less power, it would still likely have less battery life than the current models.
    • No way the display can be made as a 'Retina' display while keeping the same effective resolution (1024 x 768 doubled). The pixels would need to be ridiculously tiny for the 2048 x 1536 Retina resolution, which can't be made right now. I doubt that Apple would want to release a new non-Retina product right now.
    • 7" is below what I'd call the minimum 'computer' size for a display. The current iPad is already at the minimum for comfortably displaying full-size websites etc.

Also, Apple just doesn't need to make a cheaper, smaller iPad! They've stated many, many times over the years that they intend to compete at the high-end, making the best products, not the cheapest and most common. Considering that the current iPads are dominating the market, there's just no need for them to compete on a lower level.

It makes much more sense to just carry on the last generation alongside the new, as they've done with the iPad and iPhone to date. It means little to no retooling of manufacturing procedures etc., which means much more profit to be made.

19. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Take the WiFi iPad 2 at 16 GB for $419 Canadian. Cut the flash back to 8 GB, reduce the screen and battery sizes, and remove the more expensive higher resolution away facing camera, leaving only the cheaper front facing camera for FaceTime and Skype. That should take it down to around a $300 price. Factor in the additional time since the iPad 2's price was set, with technology costs coming down over time, and the new price could be below $300, even with the standard Apple margins. If they get it down to the $250 ballpark, then it can compete with all the $200 Android 7" tablets.

20. dbrewster macrumors member

I have use for a smaller iPad. Also, I want more people to get into the iOS fold, & the current iPad's price won't make that possible.

21. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

A few of my reasons.

1. Because the 9.7 inch iPad owners see it as a threat over their purchase. Jealousy? Resell value?
    2. Steve Jobs said that a smaller iPad makes no sense. People are following a ghost.
    3. A cheaper smaller iPad would harm Apple's profits.
    4. Some believe fragmentation would be an issue.

I say screw these people. I see no harm to consumers or developers. And a smaller iPad would be an excellent edition especially with Christmas shopping season only a few months away. Yes, a iPad mini will water down the iPad brand. Yes, a iPad mini would hurt Apples profits but it would hurt even more if Apple does nothing against Nexus 7. The 7 inchers really do fall into a separate category and Apple has nothing to show for it.

22. kevink2 macrumors 65816

A wifi only 7.85" mini is something I would consider for reading on if I didn't already have a Fire. I wouldn't get a 3G model since I already pay for service on my existing 3rd generation iPad.

23. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

If you can carry around a 7.8" iPad then you can certainly carry a 9.7", and as a result have something with more usable screen real estate.

Neither a 7.8 or 9.7 fit in a pocket and if your going to toss it in a bag anyway what's the point of a smaller screen - other than price.

I don't care if Apple does it, it will be good to dent sales of the Nexus tablet, it's just not something I'd give up my current iPad for.

24. davidinva macrumors 6502a

How about a 5" iPod? With a 5 mpix camera. Now that I would be interested in. (And I have and like my new iPad.)

25. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

$300 made perfect sense a month ago. If we assume that iPad 7" has the same internal guts as a iPad 2 but smaller with 8gig the Nexus 7 beats it in every area including built in gps making it more suitable for car use. The iPad mini in my book cannot be priced more than $250 and that's pushing it. At $300 it has a big price disadvantage. And if you say that iPad has an advantage due to the large number of Apps I would say that your correct. But I view the Nexus 7 as a rebirth for Android tablets apps. Developers now have a new solid reason to make apps for the popular and highly reviewed Nexus 7.