Why Does The Magic Mouse Suck So Much?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by animalresource, May 19, 2012.

1. animalresource macrumors newbie

Seriously, it may look nice but it is the most awkward and uncomfortable mouse I have ever used. Do Apple expect people to change the shape of their hands to use this mouse???

Not to mention its performance isn't very good either. It doesn't move very well on certain mouse matts and its wireless connectivity is extremely temperamental.

Honestly, I hate the thing.

So yeah, this is more a rant than anything else but just wanted to know if other people agree or can recommend a few solutions to these problems.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Love mine and never experience the issues you have described
    Gestures are great, and the scrolling is awesome
    I actually prefer the design

3. paddude macrumors newbie

I actually like it (the device and the name).

4. animalresource thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm starting to think mine is faulty then. I can't get the stupid thing to stay on for longer than 10 minutes before it loses its signal. I just gave up and went back to a USB mouse eventually, which is ashame, because I did like the gestures. It's just never been a reliable mouse for me.

I'm guessing certain objects in the room could probably interfere with the signal between the mouse and iMac, so maybe there is something messing with the signal.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have a wireless keyboard, magic trackpad and magic mouse at home
    I have a wireless keyboard, and magic mouse at work

I move my MBA back and forth every day and connect without issues

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I enjoy both of mine. Yeah it's flat and short but that's because of the multi touch feature it sports. No other mouse is multi touch or has a aluminum body.

I also have a wireless keyboard, trackpad, mouse on my iMac and have no connect issues.

7. animalresource thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I've had mine for a year, do you reckon Apple will replace it? :cool:

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would say "no"

9. animalresource thread starter macrumors newbie

Figures. I'm a little annoyed though cause I definitely didn't break it, it has always been like this since I got it. I just assumed it was to do with interference from stuff in my room. Now I'm thinking I got screwed.

10. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

OP, if you had complained about it LONG before a year had transpired you might have stood a chance. Now, not so likely.

Just purchased my wife one to replace her older USB wireless mouse and I am thinking of replacing my wired USB mouse, it is that good of mouse.

Have you tried replacing the batters in the MM? Have you checked on the BT settings for it. Those are the things I would start with.

11. Ifti macrumors 68000

Mine is sport on, never disconnects. Gestures work perfectly and I got used to the shape and size etc pretty quickly.
    Love it.

12. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

I agree with you about the ergonomics (or lack thereof) however it's a nifty little thing and I find that its features outweigh the unfortunate shape.

13. KScottMyers macrumors regular

I thought the same thing at first, but after a week or so - I fell in love with this thing. Best mouse I've ever had.

Dropping connectivity is not right. Have it checked out by Apple.

14. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502

gr8whtd0pe

I love mine. Came with my new iMac and had one with my old one before that.

I hated the mighty mouse. Both wireless and wired... Minus the mouse it made with the red light. That was cool.

15. Navdakilla macrumors 65816

I've had mine with my Mac for almost a year now. Love it

I even bought a magic trackpad for a while, and tried that out, but couldn't get used to it for such a big screen (27"). I have a macbook pro, and love the trackpad for that, however I don't think it translates well for a 27" imac.

16. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

Magic Mouse is the best thing ever, better then the crappy Mighty Mouse is the worse decide ever to invented it in the first place.

17. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I tried one for a day then a wireless trackpad

Definitely the trackpad

18. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

It might be the battery contact. Try folding a small piece of paper and placing that against the batteries, the closing the back. If it's a contact issue, your connection problems will go away. Then try different batteries next time!

19. animalresource thread starter macrumors newbie

I just dug the magic mouse out of my draw and gave it a try and so far its working ok, I did have a problem where the cursor would barely move on the screen even though I was moving the mouse up and down, the weird thing was that I could use the scroll gesture and it worked perfectly, so it wasn't a signal problem in this case, to me that suggests maybe there is a problem with the laser.

But if I do get some connectivity problems again, I will definitely try your idea.

Thanks!

20. felixgun macrumors member

I 100% agree with you. It isn't ergonomic at all and sucks on certain surfaces. I own both the magic trackpad and magic mouse and have completely converted to using just the magic trackpad. I wish they would re-design it!!

21. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

The ergonomics are very weird. It's too small or something, and I have normal sized hands. I do love it though.

22. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Earlier you wrote, "It doesn't move very well on certain mouse matts and its wireless connectivity is extremely temperamental."

I assume you meant mouse pad. Are u trying to use it on a plain old mouse pad? I personally never use a mouse pad with a MM. Mouse pads were born in the era of the physical mouse wheel. Why use one now? To me it only makes the MM work worse than it should, and you still have the "running out of runway" issue.

Plus, the MM has, essentially, it's "own" pad: the rubberized black strips on the bottom.

Michael

23. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I have fairly large hands and I use it daily just fine, it did take maybe a day to get used to holding it differently but it has been a great little mouse.
    In our office we have 2 mighty mice, 2 trackpads and 2 BT keyboards on 2 iMacs sittings just about 3-4' apart and another mighty mouse and keyboard in the neighboring bedroom and while I can not say I've never had a disconnect but that have been very infrequent, like once a week sometimes once every two weeks.
    I like the little thing.

24. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502

gr8whtd0pe

Unless its on glass, like mine. :p

25. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Tried Magic Mouse in the Apple Store, entire hand cramped up within seconds, I'll stick with my Sidewinder X8 :cool: