Why Does The Magic Mouse Suck So Much?

animalresource

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2012
Seriously, it may look nice but it is the most awkward and uncomfortable mouse I have ever used. Do Apple expect people to change the shape of their hands to use this mouse???

Not to mention its performance isn't very good either. It doesn't move very well on certain mouse matts and its wireless connectivity is extremely temperamental.

Honestly, I hate the thing.

So yeah, this is more a rant than anything else but just wanted to know if other people agree or can recommend a few solutions to these problems.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Love mine and never experience the issues you have described
Gestures are great, and the scrolling is awesome
I actually prefer the design

Comment

animalresource

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2012
Well I'm starting to think mine is faulty then. I can't get the stupid thing to stay on for longer than 10 minutes before it loses its signal. I just gave up and went back to a USB mouse eventually, which is ashame, because I did like the gestures. It's just never been a reliable mouse for me.

I'm guessing certain objects in the room could probably interfere with the signal between the mouse and iMac, so maybe there is something messing with the signal.

Comment

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Well I'm starting to think mine is faulty then. I can't get the stupid thing to stay on for longer than 10 minutes before it loses its signal. I just gave up and went back to a USB mouse eventually, which is ashame, because I did like the gestures. It's just never been a reliable mouse for me.

I'm guessing certain objects in the room could probably interfere with the signal between the mouse and iMac, so maybe there is something messing with the signal.
I have a wireless keyboard, magic trackpad and magic mouse at home
I have a wireless keyboard, and magic mouse at work

I move my MBA back and forth every day and connect without issues

Comment

rgarjr

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I enjoy both of mine. Yeah it's flat and short but that's because of the multi touch feature it sports. No other mouse is multi touch or has a aluminum body.

I also have a wireless keyboard, trackpad, mouse on my iMac and have no connect issues.

Comment

animalresource

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2012
Figures. I'm a little annoyed though cause I definitely didn't break it, it has always been like this since I got it. I just assumed it was to do with interference from stuff in my room. Now I'm thinking I got screwed.

Comment

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
OP, if you had complained about it LONG before a year had transpired you might have stood a chance. Now, not so likely.

Just purchased my wife one to replace her older USB wireless mouse and I am thinking of replacing my wired USB mouse, it is that good of mouse.

Have you tried replacing the batters in the MM? Have you checked on the BT settings for it. Those are the things I would start with.

Comment

Ifti

macrumors 68020
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Mine is sport on, never disconnects. Gestures work perfectly and I got used to the shape and size etc pretty quickly.
Love it.

Comment

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
I agree with you about the ergonomics (or lack thereof) however it's a nifty little thing and I find that its features outweigh the unfortunate shape.

Comment

KScottMyers

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2009
Orlando, FL
I thought the same thing at first, but after a week or so - I fell in love with this thing. Best mouse I've ever had.

Dropping connectivity is not right. Have it checked out by Apple.

Comment

gr8whtd0pe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Belle, WV
I love mine. Came with my new iMac and had one with my old one before that.

I hated the mighty mouse. Both wireless and wired... Minus the mouse it made with the red light. That was cool.

Comment

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I've had mine with my Mac for almost a year now. Love it

I even bought a magic trackpad for a while, and tried that out, but couldn't get used to it for such a big screen (27"). I have a macbook pro, and love the trackpad for that, however I don't think it translates well for a 27" imac.

Comment

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Magic Mouse is the best thing ever, better then the crappy Mighty Mouse is the worse decide ever to invented it in the first place.

Comment

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
It might be the battery contact. Try folding a small piece of paper and placing that against the batteries, the closing the back. If it's a contact issue, your connection problems will go away. Then try different batteries next time!

Comment

animalresource

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2012
It might be the battery contact. Try folding a small piece of paper and placing that against the batteries, the closing the back. If it's a contact issue, your connection problems will go away. Then try different batteries next time!
I just dug the magic mouse out of my draw and gave it a try and so far its working ok, I did have a problem where the cursor would barely move on the screen even though I was moving the mouse up and down, the weird thing was that I could use the scroll gesture and it worked perfectly, so it wasn't a signal problem in this case, to me that suggests maybe there is a problem with the laser.

But if I do get some connectivity problems again, I will definitely try your idea.

Thanks!

Comment

felixgun

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2012
I 100% agree with you. It isn't ergonomic at all and sucks on certain surfaces. I own both the magic trackpad and magic mouse and have completely converted to using just the magic trackpad. I wish they would re-design it!!

Comment

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
The ergonomics are very weird. It's too small or something, and I have normal sized hands. I do love it though.

Comment

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I just dug the magic mouse out of my draw and gave it a try and so far its working ok, I did have a problem where the cursor would barely move on the screen even though I was moving the mouse up and down, the weird thing was that I could use the scroll gesture and it worked perfectly, so it wasn't a signal problem in this case, to me that suggests maybe there is a problem with the laser.

But if I do get some connectivity problems again, I will definitely try your idea.

Thanks!
Earlier you wrote, "It doesn't move very well on certain mouse matts and its wireless connectivity is extremely temperamental."

I assume you meant mouse pad. Are u trying to use it on a plain old mouse pad? I personally never use a mouse pad with a MM. Mouse pads were born in the era of the physical mouse wheel. Why use one now? To me it only makes the MM work worse than it should, and you still have the "running out of runway" issue.

Plus, the MM has, essentially, it's "own" pad: the rubberized black strips on the bottom.

Michael

Comment

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I have fairly large hands and I use it daily just fine, it did take maybe a day to get used to holding it differently but it has been a great little mouse.
In our office we have 2 mighty mice, 2 trackpads and 2 BT keyboards on 2 iMacs sittings just about 3-4' apart and another mighty mouse and keyboard in the neighboring bedroom and while I can not say I've never had a disconnect but that have been very infrequent, like once a week sometimes once every two weeks.
I like the little thing.

Comment

gr8whtd0pe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Belle, WV
Earlier you wrote, "It doesn't move very well on certain mouse matts and its wireless connectivity is extremely temperamental."

I assume you meant mouse pad. Are u trying to use it on a plain old mouse pad? I personally never use a mouse pad with a MM. Mouse pads were born in the era of the physical mouse wheel. Why use one now? To me it only makes the MM work worse than it should, and you still have the "running out of runway" issue.

Plus, the MM has, essentially, it's "own" pad: the rubberized black strips on the bottom.

Michael
Unless its on glass, like mine. :p

Comment

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Tried Magic Mouse in the Apple Store, entire hand cramped up within seconds, I'll stick with my Sidewinder X8 :cool:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.