Why does Walmart not like Apple Pay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Oct 20, 2014.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Walmart came out and said its because they lose the tracking ability, however how can that be? Couldn't they just track the purchase by the device account number instead? I think that the device account doesn't change anyway, just the dynamic CVV. So they shouldn't even lose that advantage.

I personally think it might be Walmart being cheap

2. stasha, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

stasha macrumors 6502

I dont shop there so its not a big problem to me

3. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

Walmart hates paying the fees charged by credit card companies, so they are leading a coalition to develop an alternative (MCX/CurrentC) payment system. Since Apple Pay keeps the credit card companies fat and happy, WalMart probably doesn't want to encourage them.

But does WalMart support contactless payments? Because if they do, it might just work anyway. I know Best Buy actually turned-off their NFC terminals, so it won't work there, but I wonder if you actually will be able to go to WalMart. Maybe someone will find out today.

Good article in Forbes on Apple Pay details:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogowsky/2014/10/20/apple-pay-is-here-and-its-going-to-be-great-why-the-skeptics-have-it-wrong/

4. GLS macrumors 6502

Because the financial side of things didn't benefit Walmart, so there was no desire on their part to play along.

Plus their pesky analytics they use. If a transaction is totally reduced to an anonymous interactive experience for the customer, then Walmart loses out on the ability to target specific individuals.

Case in point: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmir...teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/

Yeah, the example is Target, who did sign up for Apple Pay. But if Target does (did?) this, then Walmart surely does as well.

5. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

6. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I refuse to shop at Walmart.

So it won't impact me one iota.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Being able to track your activity is important these days and worth money so that they can target advertising. Every time you use your credit/debit card at a retailer, the can get the name and address and possibly more information from the credit card company so they can target advertising.

If Apple Pay stops this, it would make Apple's Apple Pay a little more attractive to me. Not sure it does protect your identity but it would be nice.

8. NIKKG macrumors regular

NIKKG

Man I don't even like walking into a Walmart because of their shoppers, they always seem to attract the nasty ones. Their prices aren't even cheaper than the Meijers that I usually go to, but for some reason the nasty people seem all to be attracted to Walmart like bugs swirling around a light bulb.

9. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

Walmart is disgusting thank god they don't accept Apple Pay.

10. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

Walmart has money to do it. But it's too proprietary

11. noobinator macrumors 601

Walmart seems more like Android, Target seems more Apple. (I know neither is involved in Apple Pay yet).

12. caesarp, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

caesarp macrumors 6502a

They just like their own attempt at a payment service better (in league with several other retailers). However, it is doomed to fail. Its more about collecting information from their customers. And yeah, customers just love handing over personal information. Apple Pay is secure and customer personal information is not provided to the merchant. Which is the way it should be. The MCX (Walmart system) works by the customer loading cash into the app and then scanning QR codes (which aren't secure). So it not the same thing at all (it does not let you use your current credit card). And how many customers are really gonna want to do that -- as opposed to a secure way of just using your existing credit cards (i.e. Apple Pay).

Good luck Walmart. The whole MCX thing makes me gag. Its all about putting the merchant first and marketing and advertising and gimmicks and customer loyalty nonsense. Its not just about a quick and easy way to pay. It does not put the customer first (although it pretends to -- it about the retailer getting more info on you and your habits). I don't want your gimmicky discounts or customer loyalty nonsense. I just want to pay and go. Leave me alone with your ads.

Don't believe me -- here it is from the MCX site itself:

Prominent marketing and product integration

Integrate your loyalty programs and promotions to provide relevant experiences for your most valuable customers.

Thoughtful customer relationship management

Protect and leverage valuable data to offer your customers better experiences and interactions throughout the path to purchase.

Easy merchant app integration

Increase the marketability and appeal of your own app by integrating CurrentC Secure Payments, offers and merchant loyalty functionality.

http://www.mcx.com/

NO. NO and NO. I don't want any of that.

13. jim.hickman.777 macrumors regular

Walmart is my favorite place for everything I'll be waiting for them to join up

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

There is nothing wrong with Walmart! Hating them for not wanting to use Apple Pay is stupid!

15. mantan macrumors 68000

Target had their customer information hacked. Don't think Apple really wants to be compared to them....

16. noobinator macrumors 601

Problem, solution.

17. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Yes! Unlike Target, Walmart has never gotten hacked before and had credit card information and person information stolen by hackers. I dont mind if Walmart doesn't sign up for Apple pay if they are running a tight ship. If Apple pay ever has a vulnerability, at least Walmart is not vulnerable to it.

18. CoilTap macrumors regular

Everything has a vulnerability if it's connected to a network. Everything.

Your ship can only be so tight, however, if it involves transmitting or storing credit card data in clear text, which any system involving a magnetic stripe swipe will do. So, Walmart not having been hacked is more of a "when" than in "if" until we get entirely away from magnetic stripe cards.

19. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

Walmart is as vulnerable as Target, or anyone else for that matter ;)

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

Umm... Which logo is that between Instacart and Apple? :cool:

[​IMG]

21. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Yep, Walmart has the right to choose if to use Apple Pay or not. I have not shopped there is a while but when I have , it has been a positive experience.

22. caesarp macrumors 6502a

They may have not reported a massive breach. But I would bet that they have had fraud incidents (just smaller). So it has not made the news.

Moreover, Apple Pay uses tokenization, so it is, by definition, way more secure than the current mag stripe credit card swipe system. No doubt. If there is any vulnerability with Apple pay, it would not be on a massive basis - but one-off. Apple Pay doesn't store credit card information or transmit it to merchants. So a massive breach would be virtually impossible via Apple Pay itself.

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes, same here. It does seem to help if you go during daylight rather than 1am... LOL. :D

24. caesarp macrumors 6502a

They just want to use their own lame MCX system -- which is not about the customer (although it pretends to be). Its about marketing and data (your data) and customer loyalty programs. Ugh.

25. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Apple pay does indeed stop this if the iPhone keynote was accurate