Why doesn't Apple let us control our own property & go back to older versions of iOS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by easy-peasy, Feb 22, 2014.

1. easy-peasy macrumors regular

I'm curious, why is it ok for Apple to sell us something with a particular iOS version on it (say iOS 6 on the iPhone 5) and yet, if we want to try out iOS 7 but dislike it and want to go back, they don't allow us to?

Is there something wrong with this picture?

I'm sure you will have people saying "well just don't update then" but I'm not asking about that. I'm asking why is it ok for Apple close the door on previous iOS versions (even though they most certainly could keep signing older firmware restores on iTunes) when it's completely our property to begin with?

Does this seem like a company with good customer service? One that forces their customers to adopt a new OS whether or not they want to go back to the older version they like more?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Because it means Apple has to keep supporting older outdated versions of iOS. It also allows people to restore back to insecure and jailbreakable versions of iOS, something that Apple does not want. While the hardware is yours, the software is not. It is simply licensed from Apple. Because of that, they can do what they please with it.

3. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Despite what you may believe, you don't own your copy of iOS. You have a license to use the system, but ownership of iOS will always remain with Apple. iOS is not your property.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Apple would probably say that it has to do with a consistent user experience.

5. easy-peasy thread starter macrumors regular

That seems crazy.

So let's say, hypothetically, that Apple comes out with iOS 8 this year and iOS 8 lacks an app store, safari web browser, and text messing app. You're telling me it would be ok for Apple to do this because they can?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, and you wouldn't win in a lawsuit about it either because you agreed to the terms and conditions for using iOS.

7. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

I read a while back they offer older ios versions now?

8. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Yes, they can, they own the system and can do what they please with it. Now, would they do such a thing? My answer would be; no, beause this would upset their user base and adversely affect sales.

Keeping everyone on the latest version of system software, among other reasons such as security patches, keeps fragmentation down to a minimum. Fragmentation is one of the reasons I dumped Android, despite being an Android developer.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Assuming that US law is similar to NZ law, you would, however, be able to return the phone for refund or replacement due to it not being fit for purpose (since it was advertised as having an App Store etc).

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

They offer older versions of Apps for old versions of iOS, but they don't actually allow you to downgrade.

11. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

When I got my first Mac you could switch between OS9 and OSX. The reason I switched back was because I was working with my software that uses OS9.

If you think about those iOS apps that updated to the iOS 7 and that won't work on iOS6, then this would be impossible. When you update an app, the older version is deleted. imo it would be more of a hassle to switch back. I guess it would be easier, if you used time machine

12. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

huh I must of dreamt it. I swear I read that. google agrees with you:)

13. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I do remember seeing news about this in one of my rss feeds.

14. alent1234 macrumors 603

yes, you are free to buy any other phone out there

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would agree, but considering that my 3GS maxes out on iOS 6, I don't know why they insist on doing what they do.

I think phones should be downgradable to the lowest version they shipped with.

16. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

people running older iOS version creates fragmentation which means third party developers also have to support a wider range of iOS versions.

this results in either less capable or polished apps or people being left out of newer apps which in turns results in a smaller market $$ for the developer and ultimately less appealing for them.

take my loving ipod 4G stuck in iOS 6 for instance. it no longer qualifies for many new app updates. the developers don't give a damn because i represent probably 5% of the total iOS population still in iOS 6; but if 40% were still using iOS 6 they'll have to slow the pace or support two apps which is double the work.

of course, there are exceptions and i am still getting updates from a few apps. special thanks go to soundhound who is not giving up on my ipod 4G just yet.

17. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

This is one of the problems which plagues Android. Thankfully Apple isn't willing to repeat such a disaster.

18. 869639 macrumors 6502

Apple can only support devices that are "up to date" and "Current" allowing consumers to run their favorite version of iOS when they wish to, would create a lot of work for apple employees as they would be required to know about the old and the new over a long time and also as running older iOS when people wish to, may hinder the overall premium experience that is expected of apple products.

Its easier to move forward and improve things than to go backwards and support the old and new at the same time.

19. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

yes, but it used to be worse.

as of january about 80% of android users are on ICS and up.

yes that means 80% are spread across 3 OS (ICS, JB and KK) but at least they are quite updated (google updates android about twice a year, unlike apple).

it seems google and the OEMs are working together to minimise this problem with faster updates and supporting older devices.

a problem apple will not have of course because they only produce high end phones; but for my taste they are still too conservative in insisting on the now outdated *retina* display, lack of HD, 4 inch display, etc. etc.

20. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

What? Maybe the martians will land and force us to use martian phones. Your post makes no sense at all.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

The "excuse" for pretty much anything Apple might need to justify, in particular for iOS.

22. MikeyMike01 macrumors 6502

23. Tech guy macrumors newbie

I agree it is not making them louse money or anything

24. masands macrumors regular

Why not take a few minutes to backup your SHSH? Don't need to jailbreak. Then you can have any version of iOS you want.

25. bandrews macrumors 6502a

Just think of it like going to a nightclub called Apple. Every Saturday night it's packed with people. You pay to go in and you enjoy it and so do lots of other people. Some don't like it and go to another club - called Android. One week, you go in and Apple has changed its decor and the music they play but it's still got a familiar atmosphere and crowd. You don't like it but loads of other people do. Some people leave and go to the other club. Some people from the other club hear Apple has changed and check it out and like it. Some people will love it no matter how it changes for no discernable reason. Some people will say they hate it but still go every week. On balance, numbers stay around the same.

If you don't like it you can go to the other club and/or complain to the manager that you don't like the changes and could he please maybe open a separate area that was like the old days. He says no.

The only way to get him to change his mind is when enough of the original customers desert the club and not enough new customers come.

Long winded way of saying:
    It's Apple's party. They can do what they want. The only thing that will make them change their mind is when people stop buying their products and services.