Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Digging this this back up....

I recently purchased a new 15" MBP from Hong Kong (online apple store) as the prices between Hong Kong and China greatly vary. Now, even though I'm currently living in China I'm a US citizen and plan to register the computer using my US address. Is it possible to buy the AppleCare from the US and apply it to the Hong Kong purchased MBP?[/QUOTE

Why not buy it from the HK store. Isn't the warranty worldwide? I suspect you may only be able to buy AppleCare from the store that you bought the MBP from.

tcador

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
NYC
There is about a $100 USD price difference from Hong Kong store as compared to B&H Photo. If there is another reseller in Hong Kong that has more reasonable prices then that would work, I just don't know of any outside of Broadway or Fortress.

eaf7s

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
I live in both the UK & the US and they've always honored my AppleCare for all devices in both countries--however I've never gone aftermarket. Too scary.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I bought a used Macbook here in Holland which had two years APP remaining. I transferred the plan to me without a problem.

When I log in at Apple Support (https://selfsolve.apple.com) and click "Proof of coverage" I am taken to a page which asks me where I am located.

If I pick, say, the United States then it still says I am covered. Same thing for every other country in the list (though the service options differ somewhat).

I think the Apple rep that the OP spoke with was full of it.

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
Digging this this back up....

I recently purchased a new 15" MBP from Hong Kong (online apple store) as the prices between Hong Kong and China greatly vary. Now, even though I'm currently living in China I'm a US citizen and plan to register the computer using my US address. Is it possible to buy the AppleCare from the US and apply it to the Hong Kong purchased MBP?

Yes it's worldwide coverage doesn't matter what country you get it in you can get service anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.