Why doesn't Apple tell you this? (or their box) [AppleCare]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SPNarwhal, Oct 21, 2009.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Here's the story.

I bought AppleCare on E-bay, brand new, for my 17" uMBP.
    I got it, registered it to my laptop, and that was it. It said it was registered, and that proof of insurance would be coming in the mail.
    It never came, and I never thought too much about it since it was in the systems anyway in case I ever really needed to use / prove it.
    So, I called Apple last week because my speakers are being wacky, and I figured I'd just ask them about the AppleCare papers, couldn't hurt to have them just send me some proof papers or whatever while I already have them on the phone.
    So anyway, it turns out that the AppleCare is AppleCare for Great Britain, and since I live in the U.S. it won't cover my laptop, "which is probably why I didn't get the papers."
    Ok? Why do they make AppleCare for different countries?
    Why did it let me register it and it never told me it was invalid? I put my address and everything in there, you know?
    And why does the AppleCare box say nothing about a region? It does not say anything about Great Britain. (or any country for that matter.)
    Now it's too late to get a refund from the seller, and Apple is telling me since I don't live in Great Britain that it won't cover me.

I don't understand though.
    Why wouldn't they tell me this way sooner? Why wouldn't the box say something about it if it was that big of an issue?
    Why do they have AppleCare for different regions anyway? Are there different restrictions or something?

I guess I'm just out the 200 dollars then?

I thought Apple had good customer service but this is my first experience with them and it's kind of ******.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is slightly different than the other eBay horror stories. That sucks and I'm sorry to hear that but it looks like you are SOL. You probably don't have the box and if you did I bet Apple would consider transferring it.

Unfortunately nowadays if you do get AC on eBay you need to go online to your account and ensure that Apple has registered the AC. You need to print everything you can and if you can get a box then get a box. Without the box I guess you're SOL. I think that sucks because I bought legit AC for my ACD and I tossed the box. Apparently I'd be SOL (and I bought it in store) if something goes wrong and they want proof of payment.

Anyway, sorry I'm not any help but it sounds like you're SOL.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple is not to blame for your problem. You bought from someone on eBay, which is not an authorized Apple reseller. You didn't thoroughly check to make sure what you were buying. You failed to call Apple yourself to verify it could be registered and would cover your equipment. Instead, you took the word of a total stranger who is not affiliated with Apple. I'm sorry you experienced this, but the fault is yours.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You are out of luck, but I can say the reason why Apple has different plans is probably due to the fact that Apple doesn't necessarily do the work internationally, rather authorized resellers do. It doesn't seem right, but I imagine it's the case with a lot of products.

5. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I do still have the box, and I also gave them proof of purchase.
    How is this my fault? The seller never said it would work in the U.S.
    but he never said it wouldn't.

Apple should either have the region on the box for what the AppleCare covers, or it shouldn't have let me register it completely.
    I registered it and it said it was successful and that they were sending me proof or insurance in the mail.

1.) I would have known otherwise if there was something on the box, but there wasn't. And the idea of AppleCare not being region-free never crossed my mind. But still, it should state so if that is the case.

2.) If it wouldn't have let me register it, I would have been able to get a refund. Instead, it tells me that it was completed successfully and my insurance was extended for two extra years and that proof will be mailed to me.

How am I to know this is for Great Britain? The box looks exactly the same as any other Apple Care box, and it let me register it fully.
    Why would I call up Apple asking if this is legit if the process already told me that it was?

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm so confused. Why isn't Apple supporting your computer? AppleCare coverage is worldwide on portables and doesn't matter where you purchased it from. The only thing I could think of is that the eBay purchase has gone bad which the agent probably saw and not because you're from a different country.

7. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Nope, she said it was legit but it wasn't valid because I did not live in Great Britain and that I would need one for the United States.
    She didn't know it was bought on E-bay, she thought I bought it straight from a re-seller. She just said that "This AppleCare is for Great Britain, and so it will not cover you since you are in the United States."

I don't get it.

Again, the box should specify if it's for a specific region.

8. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

I think you need to go into an Apple store or talk to another rep. on the phone, because the possibility of something this big going on and the people even on MR not knowing seems unlikely to me. You may have just had a new hiree and she may not have known her terms up and down. If you don't I will call Apple myself and have this question answered; I am very curious.

9. dinostars macrumors member

10. goMac macrumors 603

Regulations are different in different regions, hence the different AppleCare plans.

I would contact executive relations and see what they say, but because you bought it on ebay, you may be SOL.

11. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I strongly believe AppleCare has global coverage for laptops, save for iPhones and desktops. I had mine serviced in different countries before and had no issues. The only problem I faced would be resellers instead of Apple stores. They don't like taking in units not bought from their own store/country.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I don't think your rep knows what she's talking about, a few years ago Apple declared global warranty on laptops AND desktops the only exemption being the iPhone...for obvious reasons

I've bought AppleCare in the US and have it work here in the UK before. The computers are the same across the globe component wise sans keyboard and power lead so....:confused:

13. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Even if there are regional AC's, they should specify it on the box..
    Or at the very least it shouldn't allow you to register it and say that it's complete and show that I have coverage if I don't.

I mean, I have to put in my address and all that when I register my AppleCare to my laptop, and if this won't work in the United States it should have picked up that I lived there and declined it. At least that way I would have been in the time restriction to get a refund. The lady seemed knowledgeable. She said she would transfer it over to the U.S. applecare if i showed her the receipt, which I did. But since it's not from the authorized re-seller, she said she can't do anything about it because she can't contact the seller to get a U.S. one. So that's all she was going to do for me apparently, go to the seller to have a transfer. I don't get it, and I wouldn't even really be that upset about it but there's no specification on the AC to say it's for Great Britain and not the U.S.
    And it should not have let me register it fully and say that I'm covered if that is the case.

14. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Why don't you just tell them you bought it when you on vacation in London? Get ready for the fan-boys, "gah, don't commit fraud our beloved Apple!"

15. kubota99 macrumors newbie

I got the same problem, but it was for Canada-US...

I was told that me SN was american and that Apple C. didnt cover my american MBP...

I found that non-sens

I was called by apple US last week to activate my AC... Coudnt because i was in CAnada...

I find that even more non-sens

16. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Makes no sense. It's fact that AppleCare for portables offers worldwide support. Let's just say you're "visiting" the States, they won't offer you support because you're from Europe? Call back and I guarantee that you'll get an agent that knows what they're talking about.

I also clearly remember the question on a test: benefits of AppleCare - support wherever you go around the world and some Apple Store perk given the country you're in has one.

17. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

even if i was in london when i bought it, I would need a receipt from an authorized reseller. Which I don't have even right now, aside from needing one from London.

I'm just going to bring the box and talk to someone at the Apple Store when I bring my laptop in for repair.
    I'll pile it onto the problems apple has given me, and explain that since I didn't know and it's taken this long for me to find out (only because I brought it up to them when I called) that I can't get a refund and that I really don't see it as my fault to not know this didn't cover my US mbp.

I know I am repeating myself, but Apple really should have a way to specify which region an AC is. Even if it was a color change on the box, which would be really subtle and still kind of nonsense, it would be something. But the box is exactly the same for every region, and it allows you to register it no matter where you are and says that I am fully covered.

That is on the fault of Apple, do you not agree?
    I mean, why would I even think about calling Apple asking them if this AppleCare covered me if I already registered it and it said I was covered?
    And aside that, I would never just assume that an AppleCare would not cover me in the US and was for a specific region, especially since the box says nothing about it.

18. Mhmm macrumors member

That's all fine and dandy, but did you try to call once more?

It says right there on the Apple website that the support is global. More than likely you were just dealing with a fresh/incompetent employee the first time around, as iLog said.

19. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

20. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Hard since he didn't buy it from Apple.

I had a similar situation. Bought on ebay and found out NC has different rules than other states and Apple hadn't agreed to them. NC Applecare was different than say NJ, NY, Ohio, etc. WTF?? Who'd a thunk it?

Well AppleCare transfers with you wherever you move to but what does count is the package SKU number and registering location. Just so happens I have an address in Ohio. Registered it to that address. Received certificate in mail, changed address to NC. Problem solved and I just took it in and they confirmed I'm good.

Food for thought.

21. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

If you click on that link, then click on "Terms and Conditions" and then Click on the "English PDF" line under Europe, you will find this:

"... 7. General Terms ...

d. This Plan is offered and valid only in Austria, Belgium, Denmark (excluding Greenland and Faroe Islands), Germany, Finland (excluding Aland), France (excluding Corsica, overseas departments and territories). Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain (including Balearic Islands but excluding Canary Islands, Ceuta, Melilla) Sweden, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Norway (excluding Svalbard) and the United Kingdom. This Plan is not offered to persons who have not reached the age of majority. This Plan is not available where prohibited by law."

If you click on the English PDF for North America you will see a similar paragraph saying the Plan is only valid in the US and Canada.

So, apparently, Apple sells different plans for different continents ... ?

IT SHOULD say so on the box, though, and they should have not OKed a European plan if you gave them a US address.

I'd keep calling, and ask to speak to someone higher up ... :(

22. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Warranties are different for every state, better yet every country. But Apple should honor it.

However, that being said, it is your fault but Apple sure could help consumers out by making it clearer this is an issue. It would be one thing if the coverage was slightly different, but to not honor an extended warranty purchase...crazy. Buyer beware on eBay of course and it is not the sellers responsibility to make sure the person purchasing something is using it properly, has authorization to use it, or anything else. It is an online yard sale....not an official retailer. If it had been an apple authorized retailer that would be a different story.

still Apple should make good- and no fan-boys would comment because he is not ripping them off, it was a legitimate product, they got their money, but he sounds like he should work the system to get what he paid for.

Good luck!

23. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

So what is the result of all of this?

That an US MacBook is not covered by AppleCare in Europe for example?

I don't believe this, because AC coverage is worldwide,... :confused:

24. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I bought AppleCare from a guy in Japan on eBay and I live in Canada. Bought, received code, registered and confirmed (email confirmation) all within an hour, and when I check my warranty status it says I'm eligible for support until October 2011.

So unless Europe is something different as far as activating the AppleCare, then there should be no reason for yours to not work.

25. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

So is this a recent change? Because it could be Apples way of ridding themselves of the eBay auctions. With todays prices, if I bought Applecare on eBay from the US instead of from the store here in Norway, I would pay far less than 50% of the norwegian retail price.