Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahawkua

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 5, 2019
Why doesn’t damp hands or sweaty hands cause liquid damage to an iPhone 6S that’s in an Otterbox Defenders case since iPhones are easily liquid damaged?

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Why doesn’t damp hands or sweaty hands cause liquid damage to an iPhone 6S that’s in an Otterbox Defenders case since iPhones are easily liquid damaged?
Cos it’s not as easily liquid damageable as u think it is

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I recently had to send my iPhone SE to Apple for an Apple Care+ repair, and your post reminds me of my situation.

Prior to sending it in, the support representative ask me a series of questions about the issues and condition of my iPhone.

One was about if the SE was damaged due to being exposed to water.

I asked if the rep could clarify the question, because my phone has been exposed to water many times, like if I had to use it during rain, or if my hands were wet. A few times during very heavy rain with high winds, my pants where completely soaked in water, and my iPhone was in my pants pocket, so I wasn't sure how to answer the question.

The rep did not clarify what she meant by being exposed to water. Other than asking if the iPhone had been water damaged.

I told her that I don't believe so, but I cannot know for sure do to the SE having some contact with water.

She then warned me that Apple would not honor my repair claim if the iPhone had water damage, and air would be charged the full amount of the iPhone to replace the damaged one.

This was confusing to me, as I thought the Apple Care+ covered two water damaged incidents.

When asked about it, she at first said that water damage was not covered, then later said it was, but not if I said the iPhone did not have water damage.

I asked her how could I know if there is water damage without opening the phone and looking, and told her that air think she may have told me incorrect information.

She seemed to get flustered, then asked me to hold for her supervisor to clarify the water damage policy. While holding, I looked up on the internet to make sure the Apple Care+ for iPhones covered water damage.

Of course it does, but there was a link showing how to check the water exposure indicator on the iPhones. My SE was completely white.

I was a little surprised that it showed no red at all considering the water exposure incidents I mentioned early.

I would assume that the newer iPhones would have much better resistance to water damage than my SE, and there would have to be serious water exposure, like being submerged in water for those indicators to show red.

Back to the story, the supervisor came on, and he apologized for the first rep for being an idiot, and essentially agreed with me.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Oh yeah, my SE was case-less, as I hate cases.

If an iPhone has an Otterbox Defender case, and has water damage, I would bet that that iPhone was submerged.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

Does sweat gush out of your hands like a fountain? Any device that it so vulnerable to moisture that sweaty palms ruins it wouldn't even survive being used in humid environments.

ahawkua

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 5, 2019
If it was or started to lightly rain and I either didn't notice it or was already outside but got inside or in the car fast enough would it cause liquid damage to my iPhone 6S that is in a Otterbox case if the iPhone got some small specs of water on it?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Probably not, but even the latest iPhones with ip67 water resistant ratings aren't guaranteed to not leak under any circumstance. Keep all iPhones away from water. If water got in your phone, there's nothing you can do about it now. Just use it and try to forget it happened.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

ahawkua

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 5, 2019
Probably not, but even the latest iPhones with ip67 water resistant ratings aren't guaranteed to not leak under any circumstance. Keep all iPhones away from water. If water got in your phone, there's nothing you can do about it now. Just use it and try to forget it happened.

I haven’t. I am wondering for hypothetical situations. I am worried that even sweaty fingers will cause liquid damaged. From what I’ve read it’s super easy to liquid damage a iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.