Why doesn't iPad have rubber feet on the back?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by neiltc13, Aug 5, 2011.

1. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Yesterday I noticed a little scratch on the back of my iPad, clearly from when I have put it down flat on the table and there might have been some dust or something on there.

This got me thinking - why doesn't iPad have rubber feet on the back of it? Even if they were just tiny little feet, just enough to keep it slightly above any surface it is placed on?

They wouldn't get in the way if they were in the corners and they would add a lot of functionality to the device.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Because it's not a laptop!

You can buy little sticky feet it it really bothers you tho ;)

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

they would add nothing but weight. buy a case, apply some of that invisishield stuff, etc. mine left the plastic and went right into its case when i got it, so not a scratch, and i never worry about tossing it into a backpack or laying it on the table.

4. MagnusF macrumors regular

5. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Rubber feet? Really?

Put a skin on it. Will protect it and it is easily removed.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

And then the rubber feet would annoy those that use their iPads differently and store them differently, such as in cases. And personally, I wouldn't want to be feeling them all the time, when I'm using it.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Explain. It's nonsense. I've never thought that the iPad's functionality would be improved with rubber feet. Rubber feet in general doesn't seem to add function to anything.

8. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Why? Just so there is a better chance for you to scratch or lose your grip on your iPad. Helps Apple's bottom line when you've either payed for an extended warranty or feel you need to replace your worn out iPad for their next (prettier but also easily damaged) model. Same reason there is no kickstand: So you'll want to buy a case or stand for your iPad. Same reason there is no microSD slot or USB port on your iPad: So you'll buy the more profitable (to apple) higher memory versions. ;)

9. ~Ks383~, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

This is one of the more assinine replies that I have seen on this site. I personally have used my iPad a lot and have never damaged it. I can guarantee you that many others have had the same experience that I have. Tell me how it is so much more fragile than any other tablet out there. You can't because it isn't. Also, maybe Apple didn't include a kickstand because not very many people would use it and it would take away from the look of the back of the device. A usb port on the side of the device would necessitate an increase in the thickness/form factor of the device and thus is not included on the device. The only part of your entire post that might be correct is the rationale for the lack of an SD card reader.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What we have masquerading as an iPad problem is really a cleanliness problem, no? How often do you dust?

11. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

It's not verry apple like. Simplisity is king, and it would look horrendous. Should of got a case if you sont want to scratch it.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Why didn't you put rubber feet on your iPad if that's what you want? I have no desire for any on mine.

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I called Steve to ask him ... he laughed and hung up on me :cool:

14. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

15. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Because Apple geeks don't wear pocket protectors. Get a Toshiba thrive and the back will give you all the rubber you desire.

You can stick one of the Apple stickers on the back in the center and it'll keep it from touching anything when you set it down, or double Apple with both for twice the protection from STDs (Scratched Tablet, Dammit!!!).

16. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

the reason why there aren't any feet on the back is because you're expected to buy a skin or a protective case if you are concerned about keeping the back scratch-free.

17. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Cool off. Now try and read more carefully. I didn't suggest that any other tablets were less fragile. In fact I didn't bring up any other tablet. The simply facts are that the aluminum back is easy to scratch, and Apple's obsession with thin has side effects that compromise the ergonomics of holding an ipad. It also limits what can be added as ports on the thing. An accident? Nope. Apple's clever marketting strategy all the way. ;)

18. ~Ks383~, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

Points taken. I might have overeacted a bit to your post a bit :D. We do disagree on one point however. You seem to think apple designed the thinness and scratchability to intentionally cut out space for ports and persuade people to upgrade because their device does not look as nice. I am not quite as conspiritorial on the matter :D.

19. Zcott macrumors 68020

20. LagFighter macrumors regular

OP, you're not alone; this scares me quite a bit too, although I wouldn't think that rubber feet would be the most logical response.

My iPad will be arriving from Apple next Thursday. I plan to use the Smart Cover intelligently to prevent the iPad from touching hard surfaces - by folding the Smart Cover around the back when I use it on a surface, I will be able to protect the back from scratches. If I'm storing it, I will put it in some sort of sleeve.

The problem is, I need to find a good sleeve o_O.

21. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

Those seem to be exactly what the OP wanted. They look better than I thought they would (for some reason I was thinking of black pads like the ones on my laptop). I'm still not a fan of how rubber feet look on the corners of the iPad though.

22. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Form, function and elegance in design. Ever notice how Steve Jobs dresses? Simply and uncluttered.

You could pick up some small clear rubber feet bumpers and stick them on the bottom. Hopefully not too much gunk would accumulate around them and they wouldn't leave any residue when removed.

I use a Joy Factory clear plastic snap-on cover for the back and the smart cover on the front. The back cover is just about invisible.

23. Optheduim macrumors member

ummm??? really? Maybe you should put rubber feet on your fingers to grasp your ipad like the rest of us...

24. mkruck macrumors regular

mkruck

"Uncluttered" is not the first word that comes to mind when i look at Steve Jobs choice of dress. Mom jeans and a mock turtleneck?

Really? :)

25. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Ya, those look high quality AND long lasting!!