Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
the forums have been running on vBulletin for some time. is there really any reason to change? things work well and the forums are stable under load considering the amounts of hits it takes.

the amount of work involved with such an overhaul without any reasoning behind it (ie: there isn't anything wrong with vBulletin) makes the idea rather impractical.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I don't know the ins and outs of either, what makes that one better? I don't even know if you could archive everything and move it to a new system.

.Chris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
I don't know the ins and outs of either, what makes that one better? I don't even know if you could archive everything and move it to a new system.

You can. IPB makes it easy for you to convert your board to theirs and keeping the topics/posts and members....

.Chris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
features

http://www.invisionpower.com/community/board/features/

its more secure. and easier to run. I've ran both vbulitan and IPB before and IBP is much easier to manage from an administrators standpoint. users standpoint its much easier to navigate.

just take a look at the link above. that will tell you why its better.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Meh. A link to a tour? Doen't do aught for me, and definitely not worth my time to try to divine what you're getting at.

If you're advocating, then summarize -- what does this product do differently and better, specifically to enancing this board? Why is it better?

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
IMO IPB feels much more "newer" V-bul seems kinda clunky feeling.
I think i agree with everyone else though, I dont see a need for it...

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
You need to gauge the effort spend and the rewards for the change. Unless this forum app is missing critical features or unable to support the growth, I don't see the need to spend such an enormous effort to change the forum app.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I had a quick look at the tour. There's almost nothing there that MR doesn't already have and use.

The only area of improvement is possibly the moderation features - I don't know how MR moderation is implemented, and it seems moderating many thousands of users might possibly be easier in the IPB system. If MR is doing fine in the vBulletin moderation system, then leave it well alone.

You're also missing that you need to show us another forum the same size or larger than MR working on IPB.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004

I'm not technical expert, and I may not have got this entirely right but I believe that MacRumors Forums has a number of mods and hacks to vB that would make the transition complex. I've seen it come up as a topic amongst the site owner and the admins when discussing forum upgrades.

Given the site's traffic and size, it may make any consideration of such a move a pointless exercise at this stage, especially with a potential site redesign on the horizon.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
A considerable effort for a lateral move, only to get some improvements in the moderation and admin interface.

vBulletin currently has OK performance, is modded heavily, and has ample support.

So the gain isn't that great for the costs involved to switch.

Now if arn had 100k dollar bills to toss at making a quick transition, it might be worth it to lower the manpower costs at the other end.

But the mods are cheap labor right now, just toss a couple more at the problem.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
The one forum I visit regularly that uses IPB makes me log in again nearly every time I go there, despite having "remember me" checked. It's really annoying, and there's nothing else about it that's particularly better than most other forum software.

--Eric

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
features

http://www.invisionpower.com/community/board/features/

its more secure. and easier to run. I've ran both vbulitan and IPB before and IBP is much easier to manage from an administrators standpoint. users standpoint its much easier to navigate.

Perhaps you should learn to spell the competition before you try to convert people. vb is far superior in terms of administration, support, and maintenance.

LoL, vBulletin is by far the most advanced and most scalable forum software publicly available.

IPB? LoL!

You need to gauge the effort spend and the rewards for the change. Unless this forum app is missing critical features or unable to support the growth, I don't see the need to spend such an enormous effort to change the forum app.

Are you on commission?

Go away :rolleyes:

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
This sounds rather spammish to me... I've never heard of IPB.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Oh wait, someone already said that ;)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Some people have preferences for one forum to another.

I think the key point is migrating to another forum software would be a massive undertaking for a forum of this size.

which is not a task I'm up for.

arn

.Chris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
The one forum I visit regularly that uses IPB makes me log in again nearly every time I go there, despite having "remember me" checked. It's really annoying, and there's nothing else about it that's particularly better than most other forum software.

--Eric

there is a setting in the admin control pannel that alows people to stay log in or not.

i find it kind of funny none of you really know what it is.... if you use neowin then you'll know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.