Why doesnt macrumors forums run IPB?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by .Chris, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. .Chris macrumors 6502a

.Chris

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Why?

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the forums have been running on vBulletin for some time. is there really any reason to change? things work well and the forums are stable under load considering the amounts of hits it takes.

the amount of work involved with such an overhaul without any reasoning behind it (ie: there isn't anything wrong with vBulletin) makes the idea rather impractical.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't know the ins and outs of either, what makes that one better? I don't even know if you could archive everything and move it to a new system.

5. .Chris thread starter macrumors 6502a

.Chris

You can. IPB makes it easy for you to convert your board to theirs and keeping the topics/posts and members....

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

7. .Chris thread starter macrumors 6502a

.Chris

features

http://www.invisionpower.com/community/board/features/

its more secure. and easier to run. I've ran both vbulitan and IPB before and IBP is much easier to manage from an administrators standpoint. users standpoint its much easier to navigate.

just take a look at the link above. that will tell you why its better.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Meh. A link to a tour? Doen't do aught for me, and definitely not worth my time to try to divine what you're getting at.

If you're advocating, then summarize -- what does this product do differently and better, specifically to enancing this board? Why is it better?

9. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

IMO IPB feels much more "newer" V-bul seems kinda clunky feeling.
    I think i agree with everyone else though, I dont see a need for it...

10. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Meh.. If it ain't 'broke' why try to "fix" it .. The IPB 'feature' that doesn't work for me is the "skin" option.. For me it'll 'start' to feel like this... And it's 'bad' for my health.. :p :eek:

11. angelneo macrumors 68000

You need to gauge the effort spend and the rewards for the change. Unless this forum app is missing critical features or unable to support the growth, I don't see the need to spend such an enormous effort to change the forum app.

12. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I had a quick look at the tour. There's almost nothing there that MR doesn't already have and use.

The only area of improvement is possibly the moderation features - I don't know how MR moderation is implemented, and it seems moderating many thousands of users might possibly be easier in the IPB system. If MR is doing fine in the vBulletin moderation system, then leave it well alone.

You're also missing that you need to show us another forum the same size or larger than MR working on IPB.

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm not technical expert, and I may not have got this entirely right but I believe that MacRumors Forums has a number of mods and hacks to vB that would make the transition complex. I've seen it come up as a topic amongst the site owner and the admins when discussing forum upgrades.

Given the site's traffic and size, it may make any consideration of such a move a pointless exercise at this stage, especially with a potential site redesign on the horizon.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A considerable effort for a lateral move, only to get some improvements in the moderation and admin interface.

vBulletin currently has OK performance, is modded heavily, and has ample support.

So the gain isn't that great for the costs involved to switch.

Now if arn had 100k dollar bills to toss at making a quick transition, it might be worth it to lower the manpower costs at the other end.

But the mods are cheap labor right now, just toss a couple more at the problem.

15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

LoL, vBulletin is by far the most advanced and most scalable forum software publicly available.

IPB? LoL!

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Are you on commission?

Go away :rolleyes:

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

gotta say i was starting to get that feeling myself.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

With swift, terrifying and mysterious justice and assorted snacks.

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

^ :D

Because it's a pile of turds in comparison to vB. ...and MR don't like change, :p especially when it's something THIS unnecessary. Peddle on...

20. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

The one forum I visit regularly that uses IPB makes me log in again nearly every time I go there, despite having "remember me" checked. It's really annoying, and there's nothing else about it that's particularly better than most other forum software.

--Eric

21. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Perhaps you should learn to spell the competition before you try to convert people. vb is far superior in terms of administration, support, and maintenance.

22. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

This sounds rather spammish to me... I've never heard of IPB.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Oh wait, someone already said that ;)

23. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Some people have preferences for one forum to another.

I think the key point is migrating to another forum software would be a massive undertaking for a forum of this size.

which is not a task I'm up for.

arn

24. .Chris thread starter macrumors 6502a

.Chris

there is a setting in the admin control pannel that alows people to stay log in or not.

i find it kind of funny none of you really know what it is.... if you use neowin then you'll know

25. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I find it kind of funny how hard you're pushing the matter. It's not like we're struggling along on phpBB :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.