Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857E:

Firmware Revision: ZA0E
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: No

This is a 2.2GHz MBP and I could have bet on there was no -R DL support before I upgraded to 10.4.11 version. So maybe they added support by flashing the firmware during OSX update?

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
:D

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D:

Firmware Revision: 1.21
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2000 KB
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

All Mac Pro's support +R DL, some support -R DL, some support both.

Did you flash the firmware on your drive?

My Mac Pro is only a couple of months old, and I have the same drive with an Apple Firmware and it doesn't support -R DL. Yours appears to have a standard Pioneer firmware instead of the coding that companies use for OEM modified / OEM firmware versions (for example, my Apple drive has a firmware version of AC08, but my HP drive has a HP13 firmware - both are not the standard codes used by the manufacturer of the drive, but rather codes to indicate drives customized for system builders Apple and HP).

I know you can flash the firmware with the firmware from Pioneer sometimes to unlock additional modes, but then that sometimes breaks something in Apple support (since it then appears as a standard unmodified Pioneer drive - maybe that won't be an issue with Leopard though).

Here's what mine says:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D:

Firmware Revision: AC08
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Does anyone realise a "superdrive" is a dvd-writer drive??

Of course.

But, in OS X (prior to Leopard), drives from third parties would often fail to work when you wanted to burn files to them.

Of course, there were 3rd party tools, like Patchburn, to get around this limitation, but those were PowerPC only (no universal version).

So, that's not much of a solution for Intel owners.

The problem, is that Apple likes to require you to use their hardware if you want it to work properly for burning disks.

Other drives will work fine, but you may need a driver to work since Apple's OS X will often balk at 3rd party drives.

Of course, we all know Apple doesn't make the drives. But, they add a little code to their Firmware that tells OS X whether it should support it or not.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
Did you flash the firmware on your drive?

My Mac Pro is only a couple of months old, and I have the same drive with an Apple Firmware and it doesn't support -R DL. Yours appears to have a standard Pioneer firmware instead of the coding that companies use for OEM modified / OEM firmware versions (for example, my Apple drive has a firmware version of AC08, but my HP drive has a HP13 firmware - both are not the standard codes used by the manufacturer of the drive, but rather codes to indicate drives customized for system builders Apple and HP).

I know you can flash the firmware with the firmware from Pioneer sometimes to unlock additional modes, but then that sometimes breaks something in Apple support (since it then appears as a standard unmodified Pioneer drive - maybe that won't be an issue with Leopard though).

Here's what mine says:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D:

Firmware Revision: AC08
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

That is correct. I flashed it (in windows) with an OEM firmware to get the -R DL and +R DL. Everything works perfectly, no burning issues at all. I've burned -R DL and +R DL from iDVD without issue.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Does anyone realise a "superdrive" is a dvd-writer drive?? Just buy one for £15 from the web if you want those formats.... Or get a blueray drive for £100 if you cant wait, itll all work fine, as long as youve got the software.

Really? A "Superdrive" is just a regular DVD burner? And they make external ones?!?!?!?!?!?!?

This is the best news I have heard all day! I can't believe it! This being a Mac enthusiast forum and all, you would think someone would have told us about this before?

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Really? A "Superdrive" is just a regular DVD burner? And they make external ones?!?!?!?!?!?!?

This is the best news I have heard all day! I can't believe it! This being a Mac enthusiast forum and all, you would think someone would have told us about this before?

Next they'll tell us that our Macs:

1) Are actually computers

2) Use ordinary processors (the same ones we can buy ourselves). My illusions of alien nano-bots running around in a box moving data for me are totally shattered. Life will never be the same.

3) Use ordinary hard drives (man, and I thought the Apple drives were built in a secret facility and used a proprietary Apple technology like storing data in light beams or something).

4) You mean I can use any USB mouse and keyboard? No way!!! Then why'd I spend $50 for this new Apple keyboard? Oh, wait, that's right, I didn't.

5) No way, I can use any mouse pad I choose? Finally. I'm free. I can use anything or nothing. All Right!!!

6) What do you mean they run on standard electricity? I've been plugging mine into a hyperdrive solar-ray outlet installed by the local Apple techs (what, you mean they were from XB31-N and not from the local Apple Store?).

9Charms

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Does anyone realise a "superdrive" is a dvd-writer drive?? Just buy one for £15 from the web if you want those formats.... Or get a blueray drive for £100 if you cant wait, itll all work fine, as long as youve got the software.

I totally agree. $30 will get you one that even does LIGHTSCRIBE!!! I got an LG one and it works without drivers... really it's not even worth the effort to figure out why it doesn't do what you want it to do. You'll waste more money in cost of media.

sinistersai4d

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2007
Albany, NY
i felt this needed to be added..

HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N:

Firmware Revision: BP08
Cache: 2048 KB
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

gr8whitesavage

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007
I have a new 20' iMac and I have never been able to burn a DL DVD+ disc yet!
I get nothing but errors with my DYNEX discs on either my La Cie DL DVD or the one that came with my Mac. That is after 8 attempts. It could be the Dynex brand, but I think at least one would be good!:confused:

Yeah! Dynex(cheap crap) brand isn't working for me either. I should have spent the extra money on the good ones. Now I have 20 Dynex DVD+Rs I can't use.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I have a new 20' iMac and I have never been able to burn a DL DVD+ disc yet!
I get nothing but errors with my DYNEX discs on either my La Cie DL DVD or the one that came with my Mac. That is after 8 attempts. It could be the Dynex brand, but I think at least one would be good!:confused:

Yeah! Dynex(cheap crap) brand isn't working for me either. I should have spent the extra money on the good ones. Now I have 20 Dynex DVD+Rs I can't use.

You guys should try Memorex disks.

I've been using Memorex DVD-R and Dual-Layer DVD+R disks whenever I plan to keep something. They cost a little more, but I have not gotten a single bad disk out of the multiple hundreds that I've used.

I use cheaper disks (no name) whenever I'm burning off copies of home movies for the grandparents (since they can always ask for a new copy). But, whenever I plan to keep it, I go with Memorex.

I've found that you can visually see the difference in assembly quality. The Memorex disks I buy are very clean, no air pockets, and look like all the layers are glued cleanly. The other brands, I can see air pockets between the layers and the disks usually don't spin as smoothly or burn as smoothly as my Memorex disks do.

Whenever there's a sale, I will also stock up on Verbatim. But, Memorex has served me very well.

But, if I'm burning off around 80 disks to mail to family, then I'll go with the cheap store brand stuff for the copies that get mailed out (they can always ask me for another copy if theirs fails). The grandparents out of state love their DVD's though. They can see their grandkid's personality and development which they wouldn't get to observe otherwise.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

There are no Blu-Ray drives that cost $200, they are all $400 and up many of them in the $500 prices range, and very not worth it until the media gets more robust and have faster write speeds.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
For my 2 cents.

My MP that I got in 9/06 came with a Pioneer DVR-111D. Not too much after that I picked up a second one through some cheap place I found on Pricewatch.com.

I do a tremendous amount of burning and have had 0 problems with either drive although I know both only support DL +R. I have used both Ritek and am currently working my way through a 25-pack of memorex. The problem is that the pioneer drives support fast burning speeds for DL discs...I think 10x. So, I like finding 8x DL discs if I can. It makes a HUGE difference between the 2.4x and 8x discs when burning off a full disc's worth of data.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
For my 2 cents.

My MP that I got in 9/06 came with a Pioneer DVR-111D. Not too much after that I picked up a second one through some cheap place I found on Pricewatch.com.

I do a tremendous amount of burning and have had 0 problems with either drive although I know both only support DL +R. I have used both Ritek and am currently working my way through a 25-pack of memorex. The problem is that the pioneer drives support fast burning speeds for DL discs...I think 10x. So, I like finding 8x DL discs if I can. It makes a HUGE difference between the 2.4x and 8x discs when burning off a full disc's worth of data.

The one thing that your posts reminds me of is the college students that worked on the editing machines in my comm department. They were G5 towers running Final Cut Pro 4.5 at the time and iDVD (?) can't remember the version. iDVD only burned DVD-Rs though, and for some reason the students never understood what we told them... only buy DVD-Rs to burn your projects too.

If the DL drive doesn't work with one format, but it does fine with the other, and both formats offer the same burn speed and everything else, why not just grab the other format?

astrostu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
Okay, to those who were saying I don't have a MP and I'm lying, etc. ... you're full of it. I've just been away and haven't been able to check on the model.

The DVD burner that came with this Mac Pro (purchased in the Spring of '07) is an Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A. The technical data on it says it will write DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD+R, DVD+R9, DVD+RW, CD-R, and CD-RW.

No support for CD+R or +RW, and no support for DVD+RW DL.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Okay, to those who were saying I don't have a MP and I'm lying, etc. ... you're full of it. I've just been away and haven't been able to check on the model.

The DVD burner that came with this Mac Pro (purchased in the Spring of '07) is an Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A. The technical data on it says it will write DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD+R, DVD+R9, DVD+RW, CD-R, and CD-RW.

I say buy the -R, -RW, and -RW DL equivalents. Or swap out your super drive with any other manufacturers.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh

Not to nitpick, but AFAIK there's no such thing as CD+R or CD+RW. There's CD+G, and CD-Text. The "plus" was a moniker that started with the DVD's. Mac's were generally DVD-R (which I believe came out first), and PC's DVD+R.

Dave

astrostu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I say buy the -R, -RW, and -RW DL equivalents. Or swap out your super drive with any other manufacturers.

The issue was that I bought a spindle of +R DL, assuming the computer could handle it. I couldn't find -R DL. And the computer's at work, where I unfortnately don't even have administrator access on my account ( :mad: ), so swapping in my own hardware was never an option.

Not to nitpick, but AFAIK there's no such thing as CD+R or CD+RW. There's CD+G, and CD-Text. The "plus" was a moniker that started with the DVD's. Mac's were generally DVD-R (which I believe came out first), and PC's DVD+R.

My bad.

The bottom-line is that the specs on Apple's website specifically do NOT include +R DL, and this computer came without that capability. I don't understand why they would omit such a cheap feature.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
You guys should try Memorex disks.

I've been using Memorex DVD-R and Dual-Layer DVD+R disks whenever I plan to keep something. They cost a little more, but I have not gotten a single bad disk out of the multiple hundreds that I've used.

I use cheaper disks (no name) whenever I'm burning off copies of home movies for the grandparents (since they can always ask for a new copy). But, whenever I plan to keep it, I go with Memorex.

I've found that you can visually see the difference in assembly quality. The Memorex disks I buy are very clean, no air pockets, and look like all the layers are glued cleanly. The other brands, I can see air pockets between the layers and the disks usually don't spin as smoothly or burn as smoothly as my Memorex disks do.

Whenever there's a sale, I will also stock up on Verbatim. But, Memorex has served me very well.

But, if I'm burning off around 80 disks to mail to family, then I'll go with the cheap store brand stuff for the copies that get mailed out (they can always ask me for another copy if theirs fails). The grandparents out of state love their DVD's though. They can see their grandkid's personality and development which they wouldn't get to observe otherwise.

Your lucky, all my Memorex discs went bad after a year and yes they were in a safe dry place. I have backed-up all my stuff with TDK/Verbatim and have been fine since. For all my media I now back-up to +DL only as well as an external.
As for the OP I've only heard of -DL as of late since I thought and read that +DL was the first born of the DL discs. Both my internal and LaCie external drives support the +DL and not -DL :cool:
I do wonder since the OP hasn't posted back yet as to what is going on with his/her unit though…

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The issue was that I bought a spindle of +R DL, assuming the computer could handle it. I couldn't find -R DL. And the computer's at work, where I unfortnately don't even have administrator access on my account ( :mad: ), so swapping in my own hardware was never an option.

Oh. That does suck. Is there a second drive open in the case that you could donate a drive to, and tell your bosses that you are giving them a donation?

I guess the drive manufacturer screwed up with that one, and Apple for choosing them.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
"Superdrives" are nothing super. They are lame.

The super just stands for superexpensive... you can get a significantly better external drive for half the price, unfortunately, you'll have to carry that around separately. So you pay a premium for mobility.

Forced Perfect

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2004
Toronto, Canada.
The super just stands for superexpensive... you can get a significantly better external driver for half the price, unfortunately, you'll have to carry that around separately. So you pay a premium for mobility.

I miss the days when SuperDrives were just Apple's 1.4 MB High Density floppy drives. haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.