Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whytouchiddoesntwork

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2019
this really bothers me, I need to know why this is happening. Every time I’m on the treadmill Touch ID does not work when I have it lying down on the treadmill in front of me. It will only take the pass code or I have to stop the treadmill for it to work. I just want to know why, I looked this up and haven’t read about anyone else having this problem

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
Funny you mention this. My iPad screen acts wonky to touches when I’m on the treadmill. Related?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Maybe there is a physiological reaction to activity in your hands and fingers that the Touch ID is sensitive enough to notice.

This might sound silly, but try adding a fingerprint while running.

Let us know if it works.

Reactions: jpn

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
this really bothers me, I need to know why this is happening. Every time I’m on the treadmill Touch ID does not work when I have it lying down on the treadmill in front of me. It will only take the pass code or I have to stop the treadmill for it to work. I just want to know why, I looked this up and haven’t read about anyone else having this problem
Sweat on your fingers probably.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I'm rather surprised how many votes for sweat there are . . yee of little faith. I would think OP would have thought about wiping their finger after a failed attempt or two.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I'm rather surprised how many votes for sweat there are . . yee of little faith. I would think OP would have thought about wiping their finger after a failed attempt or two.

Easy test for sweat or treadmill interference - if it isn't working when using the treadmill, turn the treadmill off and try without cleaning/wiping your hand. If it still doesn't work, wipe off your hands and try again.

Reactions: RevTEG

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009

You made your forum user name the subject of your only post? o_O

Reactions: MisterSavage

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
OP did not mention this, but, if treadmill has a USB charging port, like noisy motor, might have a noisy USB connection. And possibly compounded by cheap cable.

Had something similar at a job site: Anker charger with Amazon Basics MFi cable, would get same issue, but only at this job. Same setup anywhere else, worked fine. This was on a 6, which seemed to be extra susceptible to this (a number of threads back in the day on Apple's site).

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
Yeah, thanks for sticking up for us. it’s not sweat. My guess is some sort of static or noise caused by the treadmill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.