Why don't apple give a full screen option

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thecritix, Apr 13, 2008.

1. thecritix macrumors 6502

If I was apple, to entice switchers, next to the Red Yellow And Green Buttons for window controlling...

I'd add a blue one, as a kinda windows full screen mode.

Switchers seem to hate that they can't go full screen and it winds me up at times too.

Might be a clever step, and it's not going to offend anyone a new blue button..

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Why? There's really no need for it.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Full screen is for operating systems that can't multitask.

5. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

While I agree that its completely useless, especially on 20" and bigger monitors, there would be nothing wrong with an option. Doesn't mean I or anybody HAS to use it.

Apart from that, well, this topic has been beaten to death I think. :)

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The problem is that full screen requires quite a different UI and design to windowed mode. You can't simply make the document window contents cover the screen: what if you need floating palettes? Drag and drop from Finder windows?

Look at something like Aperture: very different UI in full screen and windowed mode. This is not something that should be implemented at an OS level, rather on a per-application basis.

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

It would offend me, for one. People who like the way Windows works should use Windows. People who don't like Windows enough to Switch should not expect OSX to become Windows because they are to lazy to learn the least little thing about their new operating system.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

I agree with you there. I was going to post similar but couldn't think of how to word it without offending people.

9. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

Drag and drop would work in full-window screens: It's possible in Windows as well. For example, if you have a full-screen Explorer window open, you can drag a file to the taskbar. If you hold the file over a particular button in the taskbar, it will open the application (also in full screen) where you can drop it.

--Erwin

10. Nick T. macrumors regular

I do not expect OS X to act like Windows.

I do think that it is reasonable for a well designed user interface to provide an easy (one click) means of maximizing a window to full-screen.

It makes little or no difference that you and/or I will never use this feature because there are many users (especially those with small screens) who would use maximize on a regular basis.

IMO fanbois who defend any and all of Apple's hardware and software weaknesses are only harming Apple and it's products because they relieve some of the pressure on Apple to bring their products up to industry standards.

11. bartelby macrumors Core

There may be "many" but they might be in the minority of OS X users.

12. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I wouldn't see the problem with it if it was a universal optional toolbar item.

Not part of the OS.

It would keep everyone happy.

Personally, I don't need it. Other people may. If it was an optional toolbar item then no-one could complain.

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Maximised windows are not part of a well designed UI. It wastes desktop space which could be used for other tasks while you are using the main application.

14. rynoman macrumors newbie

rynoman

more than one way...

you could always just use the resizing arrow in the lower right corner of the app's window to make the window as big as you'd like. you'd also see how much wasted space you'd end up with in a majority of applications you use. 23" display, btw...

Attached Files:

15. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Totally agree... I don't understand folks who switch to OS X only to complain that it doesn't work like Windows :eek:

I do understand there is a learning curve and that it takes time to learn the differences and that this learning curve and time spent "embracing and understanding" a new OS can be frustrating... But the answer is not to change OS X to function like Windows. The answer is to embrace the OS X way of doing things. Change is good and healthy :)

16. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Crap try learning how to multitask properly

17. heatmiser macrumors 68020

you've got to learn to think different™. much like the lack of a right-click button, the lack of a full-screen button is a sign of apple's neverending innovation.

18. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

I don't think i've willingly used a maximized window since i was using a screen at 320x200. In this era of hi res screens it seems a little daft to me :eek:

I always find it funny seeing people with their hi res 1680x1050 dell laptops browsing the net in a maximized window with around 2/3rds of the screen the site background colour, even more amusing when they have to goto the task bar to select another maximized app displaying mostly blank space to search for a track in their music player :D

But, I can fully understand why some people are stubborn about change, I firmly believe all the world should drive on the left, as it's what i'm used to and don't want to learn anything new :p ;)

19. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I'm curious then how you feel about the full-screen modes some applications offer, like iPhoto? Is it a dislike for all things full screen or specifically about maximized windows?

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

options are always good, ppl don't need it can just ignore it. "windows can run on Mac too!" is just an example of that.

Full screen....I seldom use it in windows (except games...:) ) or linux (except eee, with tiny screen, firefox 3's fullscreen really helps in some situations)

But option, is just that, an option.

Again, you can file a feedback to apple, if enough ppl want it, apple MIGHT add it. Demanding users are always the driven force of improvement..;)

21. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Exactly.

Try using MS Acces on a laptop and a second screen that has a different resolution: you can only use 1 screen for Access. Or try using Excel on multi screen set ups. If you want to open spreadsheets on different screens you have to open 2 instances of Excel and then ctrl+o to open the files (or maybe I'm missing something?). And don't even get me started on multitasking. Talk about bad UI design... :eek:

AFAIK, the lack of maximized windows in the best thing about the MacOS experience.

22. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I thought this would be a major problem for me when I switched. But, now that I think about it, I NEVER find the need to maximize. It usually makes things look like crap. Yet, I never really use the + button either. The only real issue I have with full screen is with games. Some of them you can't go to the desktop without quitting the game.

23. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I like the way GIMP handles image editing for high resolution images. iPhoto looks good but it is not that good for making effective use of your screen size.

24. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Industry Standards? Maximizing the browser window is "Industry Standards"? Hmm, look who's calling who a fanboy? You're defending Windows by saying it's method of maximizing the browser window is industry standards.

The OP states that Apple should add a maximize button to entice switchers? What really bugs me about the recent switchers like the OP is he and the other think they are the only ones that were ever switchers.
    I switched from Windows to Mac back when Windows 98 was out. I had 3 PC's and couldn't deal with Windows any longer. I didn't need for Apple to entice me by making sure that the Macintosh OS needed to work like Windows for me to switch and neither should anyone else.

This constant maximize crap is getting tired.