Why don't I want to spend money?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by phas3, Jul 7, 2012.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

Whenever I find something that I like I tend to talk myself out of buying it. For instance, I need a sleeve for my new MBP and saw one I really like but all I could think about is how my bank account is going to be less once I buy it. I don't have a problem with money, I'm not living paycheck to paycheck but I just can't seem to buy anything without thinking about the effects on my bank account afterwards.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

#firstWorldProblems

We wouldn't know why you don't want to spend money, but whatever it is, there's nothing wrong with saving money.

3. TSE macrumors 68030

Yeah, it's not a problem at all. It's actually probably a good trait.

Once or twice a year find something you really want and buy it. End at that.

4. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Don't see a problem with that, but if I were you I would be pissed at myself if I accrued scratches or dents on a $1,000+ machine that would have been prevented by buying a $20-30 sleeve. Otherwise, saving is a good thing.

5. malman89 macrumors 68000

A post like this can only be found on a tech related site.

I've been staring at consumer and gaming laptops, as well as custom or self build gaming rigs for months now. Whole time have had thousands in the bank and could pull the trigger at any time. I just take my time to make sure I get what's right for me, especially on large purchases.

Still haven't bought it, but plan to do so by the fall.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

The sleeve costs nothing compared to the laptop and is practical.

If the sleeve you like is on the pricey side, you can pick one up that's just as protective for a couple of dollars at any dollar store.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Couldn't agree more. To many people rush to spend their money without thinking 1 can they afford it and 2 do they really need it. Taking your time over a purchase is not a bad thing. I've been waiting to buy an iMac for months now. I have the cash but want to wait for the 2012 model. There's nothing wrong with the current one I just don't want to pay over the odds.

9. na1577 macrumors 6502a

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I'm not hurting for money either, but I rarely buy anything that isn't a necessity anymore (iPhones are an exception though :eek:)

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This.... protect your investment.

11. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I totally understand. Saved up for months to buy an iPad. Now that I have the money, I just can't get myself to do it. But I am looking at maybe buying a planner and jointer or a kayak. Or maybe I'll just keep counting my cash like Uncle Scrooge...

12. Jb07 macrumors 6502

I wish I was like that. :(
    I constantly talk myself into buying things I don't need all the time, even if I know I will never use those things. Like last week, I bought a $100 iTunes gift card to buy movies so I can watch them whenever I want. I bought a few movies and have watched none of them. :(

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Oh please trade me traits! I can talk myself into buying anything. I wish I was better at saving.

14. Roller macrumors 68020

Thinking hard before you spend money is a good thing. Just make sure that any funds beyond what you need for cash flow and a prudent cushion don't stay in a bank, but are invested.

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Yet you end up with cool pets.

16. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Pics!

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

He has posted some in the pics of your pet thread, thus my comment. I don't want to derail the thread, but go look them up. There are images of tree frogs and a black kitten.

18. .Andy, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012

.Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

As we term it down under, chances are you are a tight-arse :p.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tightarse

19. bLiss macrumors member

bLiss

I feel the same way. It's a good and a bad thing. What I (try) to do is when I know I'm looking at a big purchase, I get someone I trust who knows me well to sit with me and I explain what the options are, and they ask which I like better and they give me the obvious answer I needed to hear.

But for things like a $20 sleeve, I think it's best you go to a store in person. Products like that with different kinds of material can look deceiving online. In person one usually jumps out and feels right. Get that one.

20. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

ASB Will round my purchases up to the nearest dollar and put it into a savings account I can't access for another year. It's got $2k in it so far. Maybe your bank can do something similar.

Which is great because I'll need a home-made GPU cluster for my honours.

21. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

People tend to either fall into the category of being a spender or a saver. It sounds like you are a natural saver who prefers security over stuff. That's not a bad thing at all. However, if you do truly need something then budget for it and don't be afraid to pull the trigger on the purchase. That being said, when you are a saver the hard part about this is convincing yourself that you actually do "need" something.

22. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Well, my reason is because I'm 17, without and job :eek:, and still living on my parents money.

23. Queso macrumors G4

I know what you mean. I went through a similar phase a few years back where although I saw stuff I wouldn't mind having, it never excited me enough to overcome the negative feelings about the amount I was spending to purchase it. Although it makes you feel like you're all a bit dulled out by things it does mean that your bank balance gradually increases, so that when you do see something you actually need or really want you pay for it with your own money rather than have to borrow.

So don't stress. Being able to ignore life's consumer distractions is a good way to be.

24. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Perhaps its because you are in debt in and also want to buy real estate?

25. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I have this annoying habit of being indecisive and wanting to get the best value possible, which often hampers my purchase decisions.

I will decide, for example, that I want an iPad case, and then spend hours online researching the best cases and figuring out which one I want to get, before finally purchasing one.

Which is maybe fine for iPad cases and other consumer electronics but it is paralyzing when I'm trying to buy a box of pasta and figuring out which of the dozen brands is offering me the best value, taking into account which brands are currently on sale at any of the 10-15 grocery stores nearby at any given moment... !

I think this particular trait has probably saved me all kinds of grief over the years, in the form of junky electronics that I didn't buy, but at the same time, I can never seem to just "get in, get it, get out" when I go shopping.