Why don't most Cruises allow streaming video ?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by max2, Dec 21, 2016.

1. max2 macrumors 68000

2. deany macrumors 68030

deany

3. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.telegraph.co.uk has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Too expensive I imagine. I think they are using Sat comms. On a European River cruise we had minimal, lousy internet speeds. On an ocean cruise it was something like a $1 a minute for internet much less streaming.

5. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

True but most cruises now a days have unlimited per a day prices or one set price for the whole cruise which is a little cheaper.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The $1 a minute was on a Disney Caribbean cruise about 3 years ago. My memory is pretty bad these days, but we went on a Viking Med cruise last year and I don't remember what the cost was.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Personal preference, but I took my family on a cruise last summer. The last thing I wanted was to use my phone or a computer - I was paying for an experience I couldn't get at home. I didn't want to stream video, I didn't want to use Twitter, I didn't want to take emails or phone calls from work. I paid handsomely for the privilege of escaping those everyday vices and I'm so glad I did.

8. BeeGood, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

That's how Carnival is, but the packages are tiered with the lowest tier allowing really basic social media stuff (mainly Facebook, twitter, iMessage) and the highest allowing basically everything (including streaming video).
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2016 ---
    My wife and I went on a 7 day Western Caribbean in January for our anniversary. We left 4 kids at home with a family friend and it came out cheaper to just pay for the lowest tier of internet and avoid roaming charges (we actually had to do a couple of FaceTime voice calls and a few texts so I'm glad we did). As an added bonus, we were able do research on different ports before we disembarked.

But yes, once we're empty nesters in 16 years...we're definitely locking the phones in the safe for the duration of the trip. ;)

9. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

You're allowed to stream on Royal Caribbean ships with one of the Voom packages, though I only bought the one for email/surfing.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Because you should be out getting and tan and drinking and having sex.

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I've been looking into cruises lately for my gf and I. It seems a lot of cruises now offer unlimited wifi packages at additional cost.

I presume cruise ships use satellite internet and have limited bandwidth. The average consumer satellite internet bandwidth is 10-15mbps. A cruise ship probably has a lot more than that, but when you consider the boat likely has 1000-4000 people on-board, you're probably very limited.

That may change when you get to port, at which point I suppose it's possible for them to switch to a hardwired ISP. I haven't been on a cruise in about 3 years, but I recalll it being very, very slow. I know (at least in the past) you can also pay for cell service, I'm not sure if that goes through a repeater or over satellite.

In my experience growing up with boats, cell phone (verizon) service extends up to about 10 miles offshore on a clear day without an onboard repeater. I haven't fully tested the range of a repeater but I've achieved about 20mi. You might get some additional range on the upper decks of a cruise ship given the height. If the ship is traveling at a cruising speed (generally 23 knots aka 20mph, you'd probably only get service for at most an hour or so if they're sailing directly away from land. If they follow the coast, you'd get some extra time.

Depending on your service and phone, you may get service at your destination- at which case you can pay roaming or a get a local SIM card, if you can afford a day or so without service (assuming you're not at sea for too long).

But really, enjoy your trip and take advantage of the entertainment. Escaping from the digital world can be very cathartic.

12. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Exactly, it's really sad how life encompassing the addiction has become. People pay a lot of money to go on a nice vacation only to have their phone stuck to their face. Laughable

13. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I agree that you should dump the tech devices before you go on a cruise.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Or you know, do some fairly basic things like keep in touch with someone back home or someone traveling too and perhaps coordinating with them, or looking up port and desitination infomation, or taking photos, etc. Those are some crazy and horrific things that would just completely overtake the trip and get in the way.

15. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I just got back from from a cruise on NCL last week. It's .95 cents per minute wifi. Unlimited is $29.99 per day times however many days the cruise is and has to be paid up front. There's also two prepaid packages in between those.

In my opinion, one should just dump the tech devices while on vacation. Just ensure all necessary plans are made back at home before being off the grid.

16. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Not everyone can forget 100% about work, even while on vacation. There were times I left my phone in the cabin safe and just sat by the pool doing crossword puzzles or lounging around, but I couldn't go without internet access for 5+ days.

Also, on Norwegian, there's an app that lets you instant message other members of your party, which could be essential depending on who you're traveling with.

17. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

Oh yes. There's a little wifi hack that came in handy while on Norwegian. For some reason iMessage still worked when connected to the ship wifi, but not logged in. (They start charging when you actually log into the network). I guess iMessage doesn't need a lot of bandwidth just to text. No apps worked but was still able to keep in touch back home.

18. Plutonius, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016

Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Plex does not need an internet connection so I wonder how that would work if you had a laptop Plex server connected to their wireless but not logged in ?

--- Post Merged, Dec 23, 2016 ---
    It will cost you but, the internet is always available if you need it. I still think that streaming video on a cruise is a waste of time. Enjoy the cruise.

19. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Very cool. We actually got wifi for free thanks to the 'free at sea' promo they were running at the time.

I have to say, I loved Norwegian when we tried it earlier this year. Especially the food- their grouper sandwich, the hibachi restaurant, the French restaurant, and the wings at O'Sheehan's.

20. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

The good ol' Norwegian gem? (Not to Hijack the thread or anything). That the one I just did last week.

21. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Norwegian Breakaway, actually, to Great Stirrup Cay and Nassau. Where'd you go?

22. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

PR and the USVI and BVI.

23. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

24. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Exactly the scenario my wife and I had earlier this year. Or maybe someone is sea sick and has to spend a day or so in their cabin?

It never ceases to amaze me how the most myopic people are also the most judgmental.

25. Tech198, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017

Tech198 macrumors G4

yep... cost would have been my biggest concern too..

I reckon that, and latency... since u need real-time to stream a video to make sure you don't get constantly buffering.

No one could even watch a movie during the day i everyone is hogging the bandwidth.... U'd be lucky to get through 30 minutes worth with no buffering.. Cheaper cost probably on wifi, but u'r still have congestion issue to deal with